Games Where You Can Upgrade Characters, etc.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Feve10, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Feve10

Feve10 Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    So, I love Battleheart and Death Rally because you can upgrade and find objects to help your car/person and it's also easy to pick up and play. I also like the random factor for finding objects such as in Battleheart, after every battle there are random objects you can buy. In Death Rally while on the r
    Track you gain parts for other cars and weapons. Is there
    any games with that "random" factor and upgrading ability?

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Just about every RPG out there?..

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Pretty much this. Also a few games with temporary upgrading such as Sword of Fargoal and Dungeon Raid. Actually I'm not sure temporary is the best way to describe it... you start from scratch each time and see how far you can get.

4. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    lol...

5. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Oh, you wanted me to say ME didn't you?! Yes you did!!!

6. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    #6 Dazarath, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
    I'm a sucker for games with RPG elements (and RPGs themselves too), but I wish more were available on the App Store. Here are a few that I can think of:

- Sentinel 3: A tower defense game with upgrades for your commander. It's a great choice if you like TD games, and the RPG elements are just icing on the cake. Though, the upgrade system isn't super deep or anything, but still made the game 100x more enjoyable than the first two of the series.
    - Infinity Blade: Some would categorize it as an RPG, but it's really only one in the loosest sense of the word. Offers lots of upgrades, etc. If you have a 4th gen device, I think it's worth it even if only for the eye candy.
    - Sad Princess: A side-scrolling action game with RPG elements (leveling up, buying equipment, etc). You can even get a pet to level up.
    - Solomon's Boneyard: A survival dual-sticker shooter. Within each game, you level up like you would in an RPG, but the gold you earn can be used to buy upgrades that you carry over from game to game. If you like SB, then you might want to check out Solomon's Keep as well.
    - Robokill: Another DSS with RPG elements. Though, there is a pretty nasty crashing bug and it seems like support for the game has been axed, so maybe not the best suggestion.
    - RobotNGun: Again, a DSS with RPG elements. This game has lots of upgrades, but is really shallow in terms of gameplay (yes, even for a DSS). It was free awhile ago and has dropped to $1 multiple times, so you may be able to wait and get it cheap or free. I wouldn't suggest it for $3 though. (PS, if you have a retina device, it looks really bad).
    - Legendary Wars: A castle defense game with lots of options for upgrading your units, etc. For some reason, I really can't get into this game, but it was well-received on the forums so it deserves a mention.

There are a couple other games I can think of, but I hesitate to mention them because of the piss poor support they've received. I'm sure there's also some FPS out there with RPG elements, but I don't really play those so I can't give any suggestions.

Oh, and like Backtothis said, basically every RPG ever fits your criteria. You might just be a fan of RPGs, and given that the RPG library on the App Store has grown a lot, I'm sure you can find something to your liking.

Edit: Added a couple more games.

7. Feve10

Feve10 Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Well yea..I'm looking for that "pick up for 5 min" type thing. Another example is zombieville. I know what you meant by your answer..but I was looking for more specific. Thanks though:)

8. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Space Miner!

9. ibid.

ibid. New Member

Apr 12, 2011
  10. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Nah me not a ME fanboy!

11. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    I prefer the hack and slash rpg games.....FFIII ....good upgrading with jobs and items.....Dungeon Hunter 2 great grafix on the ipad or retina device and the weapons and armour affect your look.

12. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Yeah loved Dungeon hunter but it was taking up to much space...at least thats what itunes said... 739 mb... had to delete that and oregan trail becaause appearently itunes says its 1.17 Gb(wowzers) Miss it

13. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    Aralon- Upgrade your character and his equipment. Has now become one of my all time favorite games.

NFS Shift and Undercover

14. jxw245

jxw245 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Texas
    Just get Mission Europa. Nothing else.

15. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Just drink water and eat soy beans in your life, nothing else. Pretty sure these are the healthiest natural foods you can eat :rolleyes:
    These kinds of comments make me laugh. It would be less funny if you mentioned a game that's actually epic.

I'm looking for the same kind of upgrade-your-character games as well, as these have high replayability. Sad Princess is definitely one of the best ones I played. Awesome graphics, and the option to train up to six different pets. A side-scroller game has never taken this long to complete, as I can say it took longer for me to complete Sad Princess than let's say Zenonia. Another great one is Crystal War. There are tons of upgrades, and the best thing is you can choose both humans and orcs, as most other games tend to be only one-sided.

16. jxw245

jxw245 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Texas
    #16 jxw245, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
    I was being sarcastic lol i like Mission Europa but there are better games the appstore.

Edit: What about bug heroes? its like a DSS, TD, and RPG mixed together.

17. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Legendary Wars is another good one, especially if you liked Battleheart. There's a good amount of RPG + RTS elements blended into this castle defense again.

18. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Lol.

You funny.

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Ignore him, he's way more superficial than he lets on.