FreeAppCalendar only 4 games for vote ?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by lazrhog, Mar 7, 2010.

1. lazrhog

lazrhog Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Software
    UK
    Well I let iPlutoid be one of the apps that could be voted for to be free for a day with FreeAppCalendar, but the voting has started with only 4 games. This seems weird. I sent the devs a private message but had no response. Also their Twitter account has been suspended, and a whole bunch of related threads on toucharcade have been closed.

Anyone have a clue what's going on ? Something seems a bit off ....

2. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
  3. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I've been in contact with freeappcalendar recently (today in fact), and nothing seems amiss.

I don't know anything about the closed threads, and the suspension could have occurred if the account was phished/hacked.

4. Hi lazrhog,

Sorry, I haven't been on TA for the past few days. Had my head down getting the last details in place for the site launch. Also, since TA closed down my freeAppCalendar.com threads I didn't want to discuss the site too much here. Although it seems they have no issue with the other free app posts, so I don't really know where they draw the line.

Of course having only 4 apps doesn't make much sense for voting, but actually there are 6 now, and I am working on getting more. Some devs that said they would participate are not ready to do so yet, so we are a bit behind where I expected to be.

Anyway, I think what I will do is let the votes accumulate for 2 weeks while we get more apps in place and are ramping up so that it makes sense to vote.

BTW, email is the best way to get in touch with me right now:

[email protected].

Thanks!

5. #5 MindJuice, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
    Up to 8 now :)

6. jen12323

jen12323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    the freeappcalendar twitter account was suspended, it seems, due to strange activity...what's going on?

7. lazrhog

lazrhog Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Software
    UK
    Apparently they followed too many Twitter users too quickly which got the account flagged and suspended for 7 days. The site us up and running now, and more games are being added everyday.

We need to know what sort of downloads it will generate before the bigger games join up (although I consider iplutoid a big game as it took 8 months to write).

I would love to know how many people are voting for the apps, and whether the app order indicates which apps are in the lead...

8. Apps are presented in the voting list in random order for fairness.

As you know, this is the first week for the site so numbers are ramping up. I will definitely share some stats when it makes sense to do so.

Our first ad is up on appShopper.com too now (shows for about an hour, and then another ad shows, then mine again).

9. jen12323

Dec 19, 2009
    I'm cheering you guys on, but your homepage is so busy it took me 30 seconds to figure out how to vote. A random visitor may not stay that long. Maybe the current winners (top 3) will be shown on the front page in a "cloud", meaning you know which 3 are in the top 3, but don't know the order. See this:
    http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Default.aspx?sort=votes
    The rest of the apps will also be in order of number of votes.

10. jen12323

Dec 19, 2009
    I want to add that maybe like that woot page, it helps so show who is in 4th place (off the top 3, meaning not on the 1st page), because people can try to vote it into the top 3. And then the first place will be free, and the second place will be discounted, and the 3rd place winner will be discounted...etc

11. I've been planning to make the voting a bit more obvious actually, but not yet sure how I will do it.

I am not planning to show who's in the lead with the votes though. I want people to vote for the app they personally want without being influenced by who "everyone else" is voting for.

12. jen12323

Dec 19, 2009
    Yea but now you have very few games, fine. But when you have 30 games on the vote list, I doubt anyone will go through all the unknown ones and find out what they are about. Especially when you have a big developer. Everyone will vote for what they know. Of course, you will figure out after a few days or weeks what is best. Maybe the answer will be none of the above, and to only offer 3 games to vote on each day. Who knows.

13. Yes, I expect the site to evolve for sure as things move along. I am already finding things I didn't anticipate and having to add rules to the database code to prevent or allow certain situations.

One main goal of the site is to get exposure for lesser known, but good quality, games and apps, so I don't want "well known" games to dominate for sure.