New to developing

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by lord-sam, Feb 23, 2010.

1. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I've never developed anything and have no prior knowledge so please excuse the noob questions I'm about to ask!

1) if I make animations in Flash, can I put them in my game?
    2) does Apples SDK let me make a game or not?
    3) if not, what game engine is good for 2D?

Thanks in advance!

2. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Umm...
    Do you know any programming languages?

Yes, Apples SDK will provide you with everything you should need. But you will need a mac to be able to use it.

About the animations... I don't know much about it, so I can't give you that information sorry

3. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I intend on learning any language needed, I was just generally wondering. So I could theoretically animate in SDK?

4. conrem

conrem Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    developer + student at medicine
    Moldova
    1. no
    2 yes
    3 your engine

good luck :)

5. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    1) I don't know Flash, so I have no idea about that one.
    2) Sure.
    3) Depends on what kind of game you'd like to create. Basic board/card games without a lot of moving objects can be done using the UIKit (user interface kit) framework from Apple that is part of the SDK. More sophisticated games need to be coded with OpenGL or an engine that builds upon it. Google Cocos2D.

6. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

#6 lazypeon, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
    1. Yes, see this thread http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=44487 In short, you can export your animations from Flash frame by frame and use a tool called Zwoptex (mentioned in the above thread) to combine them into a sprite sheet. Cocos2D (mentioned below) has awesome support for Zwoptex, allowing you to easily import your animation. In general, in terms of programming languages, you should learn Objective-C.
    2. Yes
    3. Hands down, Cocos2D. Free, well maintained, active development, good community for questions, lots of tutorials. HIGHLY recommended: http://code.google.com/p/cocos2d-iphone/ You do not want to use UIKit for most games, for performance reasons. Cocos2D uses OpenGL under the hood, but you don't need to worry about that. I don't know an ounce of OpenGL, but still find Cocos incredibly easy to use.