programs

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by looman9635, May 10, 2009.

1. looman9635

looman9635 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    what programs does everyone use to get the pictures/animation on the apps
    and prises because im on a budget and have no programs as im geting a mac between july and sept

2. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    You mean to take screenshots of apps? If so, then you press the home and sleep button at the same time.

3. looman9635

Apr 5, 2009
    no i mean to develop the app for backgrounds and things

4. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Oh, then I'm pretty sure that's only possible on the computer or on a jailbroken iPod.

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Photoshop, $600. You could use Gimp, which is free, although, unless it's improved substantially since I last used it, you kinda get what you pay for.

--Eric

6. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    To anyone considering Photoshop, I highly advise trying it out first, as it may be overkill for your needs. There is a free 30 day trial, so give it a try, and see if it fits your needs, or if something much cheaper will do.

7. looman9635

Apr 5, 2009
    #7 looman9635, May 10, 2009
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
    thanks. im not i phrased the question right im going to develop an app after summer and need to know whinch mac applications will work best for creating images to use for backgrounds or buttons or animations to use in the app im going to develop sorry for not being specific .

and would photo shop elements be ok because thats in my price range

Edit: i have gimp for Windows and its mega pants

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

#8 Eric5h5, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: May 11, 2009
    Give the demo a try and see. Unfortunately I find that the limitations make it a no-go for me, but maybe it's OK for what you want to do.

Edit: I haven't tried it, but Pixelmator sounds like it would be in your price range too.

--Eric

9. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    #9 spacecowgoesmoo, May 11, 2009
    Mega pants?

Anyway, I'm using GIMP for all the graphics in Gomi, and it's done a great job at it. I've used Photoshop a lot before as well, so I know what I'm comparing it to. The only downsides are that the GUI is weird (AKA, different) and takes some getting used to, and the keystrokes are different (which you can easily change to the Photoshop standards). There's probably some super-pro level stuff that only Photoshop has as well which you might need, but I haven't found the need for anything like that yet in Gomi's development, and we're just about at the end of it. Photoshop is nice, but it's possible to do without it, and you might be better served putting the $600 somewhere else.

10. looman9635

Apr 5, 2009
    #10 looman9635, May 11, 2009
    pixelmator looks good but can it read/save in psd files

edit : just looking around and it can thanks for the link i will probably get it it looks better than photoshop cs4