Neuroshima Hex! or Carcassonne?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Nullroar, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    Only have time to master one atm.

Which should I get and why?

2. anthem47

anthem47 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    So cruel, like asking me to choose between my own children...hmm...I've had Neuroshima for a shorter amount of time so it might be benefiting from being a bit shiny but I really like that, whereas Carcassone suffers from being a bit too random.

On the other hand I might be completely wrong. BoardGameGeek ranks Carcassone at 68, Neuroshima at 99 (for their board game counterparts).

Mind you, I'd rank Catan over both of them if you don't have that.

3. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    Carcassonne most definitely!!!

You can't resist online play including asynchronous play!

I've had Carcassonne for a very long tie and I still open the app over 10 time a day. It's quick to learn and hard to master. So much fun and strategy. It's my favorite app of all time:rolleyes:

4. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    You'd be best to get them both now, as the price for each will go up (9.99 for Carc and 4.99 for Neuroshima) once the universal app versions are released.

Neuroshima is on sale right now for $1.99, for the record.

5. Nullroar

Jan 6, 2010
    Munich
    Oh, adding Catan in the mix, as well.

Didn't even know it was on iOS.
    Thoughts?

6. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    They're both so good, you need to get em both! Get NH while on sale but make sure to get both before the prices go up.
    Kind of out of scope but I picked up Dungeons & Dice recently and it's a lot of fun also, kind of like the boardgame Talisman if you've ever played that.
    Catan is also great, I love board games on the iDevice. Need to get myself an iPad :)

7. Nullroar

Jan 6, 2010
    Munich
    Got Hex. It's making me nostalgic for MTG and Munchkin.

Gah.

8. jeremyclarke

jeremyclarke Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Web Developper
    Montreal
    I am in love with both games. On iPad they are both perfectly designed games with tons of depth derived from their paper heritage.

I had Carcassonne first and loved it but sometimes I find that despite it's serene beauty it is a bit boring and also kind of random. I'm sure there are levels of strategy that I'm just not participating in, but by default I find I just throw down each tile as it comes.

Neuroshima I am completely addicted to. It's also beautiful but in a much cooler way. The "Plot" isn't really important to the game but it's still all around it and makes the experience more fun. The strategy is also much more pronounced in NH and unnavoidable. The different races mean that in every game the two sides are required to use different tactics, whereas in Carcassonne you and your opponent always have the same goals and the same means of achieving them.

Neuroshima gives me everything I wanted from Warhammer 40k original miniatures-based games (complex strategy, varied armies, time to think) but without all the insane hassle of putting together your army and setting up a table. Despite being turn based etc. it really is a thrill to fight it out.

Carcassonne wins for multiplayer because the online play works perfectly. You just push the 'quick game' button and suddenly you're playing someone. Neuroshima has multiplayer but only in-person sharing of the same device.

Carcassonne also potentially wins if you want to play with your friends and need the rules to be simple so they can learn fast. NH is a bit more complicated to know all the tiles and stuff. Really though they are both super-complicated, and I think Carcassonne takes a long time to fully understand (fields WTF) even though it is superficially simple. I would also argue that NH is fundamentally a simple game and you just need to look up any tiles you don't understand in the built-in reference (which works great!).

I'll also mention "Reiner Knizia's Samurai" which is another wonderful conversion of a themed strategy board game. If you like Carcassone and Neuroshima I bet you'll like Samurai too, and it's fast to learn so you can play it with a friend pretty fast. It also has some decent online asynchronous play if you like that kind of thing.

If anyone else has recommendations beyond the two in the thread title that would be great. I found this thread by searching for the two games together hoping to find lists with more good stuff :)

9. Nullroar

Jan 6, 2010
    Munich
    thread necro, eh?

I have Catan, Hex and Carcassonne now.

I must say that Catan is the most disappointing, while Hex and Carcassonne are fantastic.

I actually find Hex to be quite simple, whereas I often feel out-of-my-depth with Carcassonne.

10. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Neuroshima Hex, in a landslide. It's not even close.

Carc. is a very nice package; the development team did a fantastic job with it.

One problem, though: the game itself is incredibly boring. It's a cure for insomnia. And it's got meeples, which are the devil's work.

NH is also a very nice product. And the developers are clearly engaged with the fan community.

And it's also a fantastic game, no matter if you play it on iOs, in boardgame form, or make your own set out of construction paper and plastic dinosaurs.

11. Jongjungbu

Jongjungbu Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Carcassonne is really a lot more fun in person, with the real pieces. Popular to play in my family, and good with the kids. So I vote Neuroshima Hex for iPad playing.

12. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    #12 funambulist, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
    Jeremy, if you haven't tried them you might also like (especially on the iPad):

New World Colony (WAY better than Catan...)
    Highborn HD
    Viking Lords
    Small World

And welcome to TA btw!

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Both apps are fantastic.

I tend to play Carc more since it's got online play. (is on the way for NH)

Also think about RK's Through the Desert and Samurai!

While I love Catan, I hate the app.

14. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Carcassonne is by far and away the superior game. However, Neuroshima Hex could give it a run for its money with IAPs and asynchronous MP.