Anyone else actually prefer virtual control-sticks?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Oxynidus, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Oxynidus

Oxynidus Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    To me, it's a lot easier to control with percision.

2. SON

SON Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    NY
    No, not a chance in hell!

3. zamansimba

zamansimba Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    i prefer analog nubs myself, but a virtual joystick is an acceptable compromise

i wouldnt go far as say virtuals are more precise though, far from it

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yes? I love dual sticks, fps, and action RPGs on the idevice. Not sure about whoevers complaining. I'm guessing their gaming skills are really lacking.

5. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Well, after Dead Space, I am beginning to like/get use to virtual control stick! Plus it depends on what kind of games you're talking about. Look at BFBC2, it was a pain in the ---, but in other games it worked flawlessly.

6. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Those two games don't have any virtual control-sticks (I'd call them pads in those games.)

What is meant here is how it is in Modern Combat 2 for example.

Personally I think they work great when the developer does it right. (gameloft pretty much always does)

7. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Sounds like your intelligence is lacking with that ignorant comment.

virtual joysticks work okay but will never be in the same league as analog controllers.

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #8 backtothis, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
    Been playing ps2 since I was 10 and ps3 for 2 years, shooters that is. Clearly, I have something to support my statement. Learn to play, etc.

Haha not trying to pick an argument though. It's just my opinion. I love the virtual controls on the idevice.

9. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I just got a Xbox 360 a little while ago and at first I really preferred the controls on iphone because it was a lot more like mouse and keyboard on the pc (although I prefer a virtual joystick/analog stick for moving then arrow keys/wasd) but the more I play the xbox the more I got used to the controls and now I'd say there probably even in my book, they both have there pros and cons.

10. SON

SON Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    NY
    You bastard...:p

11. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    I woudln't say I "prefer" virtual sticks, but I don't have any real problem with them. If done right they work just fine. You can say pretty much exactly the same thing about any game control methods. I've played games on consoles with digi pads that were awful to control.

Interestingly though, both my 9 yr old and my 5 yr old boys have adapted quickly to virtual controls. They'll likely grow up thinking v controls are no more unusual than joysticks and mice...

12. SON

SON Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    NY
    This world is going to hell I'll tell ya.

13. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    I see, but it would not work in FPS games. Like I said, some games will take advantage like Dead Space but others will fail miserably.

14. DusT_HounD

DusT_HounD Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    I like virtual sticks when done well, and have less liking for virtual PADS, but think this might just be personal preference. For example, i often rest my thumb on the touchscreen even if not moving, so the deadzone at the centre of a V-stick suits me, for example the ones in Street Fighter 4, or NOVA 2. I've also been playing Wild Frontier recently, which has a v-pad, and i often find that i end up moving when i'm just resting my thumb in the 'neutral position', probably because the pad either has no deadzone, or it's too small for me.

15. kukulcan

kukulcan Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    IMO most of the games using virtual controls sticks could be done better using real touchscreen controls.

16. Jongjungbu

Jongjungbu Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I have that same issue with Wild Frontier and other v-pad games. I have always preferred the sticks over the pad, or Dead Space style controls. Though I suck at using them LOL. Actually, I don't mind the virtual sticks anymore since I cheat and stick on the Fling analog controllers. But if I have a choice, I would still pick virtual analogs over a virtual d-pad.

17. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I much prefer Virtual Sticks. That's why I love DSS's.

18. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    I don't prefer things that make me want to cut my thumbs.

19. nvx

nvx Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2011
    UK
    +1
    Agreed :)

20. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I like them just fine. There's fewer devs who've made swipe controls work as opposed to those that make an utter mess of it. And even games like Dead Space and Caster take a lot of cues from virtual control stick schemes. Works a lot better than that Rage HD crap.