Gameloft way over their head?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by McCurry, Sep 10, 2009.

1. McCurry

McCurry Member

Jul 3, 2009
    There is no doubt that Gameloft is pumping out games like no tomorrow, but can the company actually keep up to date with all the games? I don't know how big the team is but that is a lot of game to update and maintain, I believe a lot of gameloft games right now could use some polish and multilayer, but they seem to be focusing on quantity not quality (well most game are pretty good), I know I love it to find additional update for my old game

thoughts?

2. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Quantity over quality? Maybe you should look at all their games predecessors for other mobile platforms, they could hardly be called the same game. They could do a digital chocolate and just release they're games with no graphical polish.

3. Gameloft have been around a good long time and are a big outfit. I think they know what they're doing. More to the point however, the iPhone is their most profitable platform by a country mile. I don't think they'd want to screw that up.

4. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    With over 4,000 employees and upwards of $200 million dollars per year in revenues sounds like they know what they are doing.

5. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I think that maybe Gameloft like to believe that their games are pretty much perfect when they release them (which they often are) but sometimes they realise flaws (i.e - BIA's steering controls) and correct them. It is nice to hear that they will indeed be adding online multiplayer to MC: Sandstorm, maybe now they will update their games more and possible add more content.
    Hurrah for Gameloft.

6. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    I wouldn't doubt them just yet. Sure the games Sandstorm, Blades and NFL could use MP off the bat, but you gotta understand...

These kinds of things need budget and where else can they get it from? From initial revenue from those games! Besides, the update will be free anyway. It just gets them a capital they'll earn back when MP is released, and a lot more people buys the game.

This is what sets the iPhone different. You can release "unfinished" games to keep you not going bankrupt.

7. McCurry

McCurry Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Okay if Gameloft is #1, who is #2? There is a huge market untapped market here. I hope Bioware moves in :)

8. The_Running_Man

The_Running_Man Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I'd just like it if the fixed the analog stick in hero of sparta.

9. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Gameloft is #1 AND #2 (all the way to #∞) ;)

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I actually discussed this with a few people at PAX. As far as sales are concerned, I'd say Gameloft is likely #1 right now, and I'd probably put EA at #2. What I have absolutely no idea of is who would be #3.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I wonder if that order (Gameloft #1, EA #2) will switch once they account for the Madden juggernaut...

12. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    I am #3.

13. I am not a number! I am a free man!

EDIT: Whoa, auto anti-caps. FUNKY.

14. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    They made my first purchase (Bros. in Arms right after the AppStore opened) and my most recent (MC:S which I bought yesterday) and they're still going. Seeing how many great games they're able to work on at the same time, I don't think they'll ever be in over their heads. And if they found that they were, they'd probably just postpone work on one of their games with the least amount of hype and put more work into a close to release one. Every game they've made, even the less known ones, are all of great quality, even while releasing 2 or 3 at once. They've been in this since the beginning and they'll keep going as long as people buy their games.

15. arnoldc

arnoldc Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    As far as I see, Gameloft stirred up the 99 cent war and then brought down the whole premium game pricing scheme. And the company followed up with a constant stream of premium game releases. Talk about effective one-two punch. Aggressive and competitive. Great for the customers.

16. dragmor

dragmor Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Yeah Gameloft seems to want to become the EA of iPhone. They do have a bunch of crazy games especially that halo look alike(NOVA) they just showed off. I think Gameloft is becoming the company we all thought that ngmoco was going to be with "the game formally known as Livefire". It will be hard for any company to unseat Gameloft at this point.

17. weedeatinflyincougar

weedeatinflyincougar Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    so then who is ∞+1? EA? Chillingo (and yes, i know they only publish their titles)? NgMoco?

(sorry for the late response)

18. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    what's with all these gameloft threads

19. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    OH hell, that's as much as Blizzard .......

for World of Warcraft ... :D

20. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Gameloft seem to be making A Grade games with great graphics
    Their latest releases have had the graphical power to match EA and therefore I believe are now the best developers on the App Store as they put great games out, and LOTS of them.

What EA lacks is a constant flow of games but hopefully this will change soon as lots of games have been announced for 2009 but not many have come out.

These two developers are far ahead of the field in a long way,