Best old game you played in 2016?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by OrangutanKungfu, Dec 7, 2016.

1. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    It's December, and all the game of the year lists are going to start going up. However, there are plenty of games that came out this year that I just haven't played yet (sorry, Warbits) - and the same thing happened last year. I'm also still discovering older gems that I missed on release back in the day.

So what was the best game you played for the first time this year that didn't come out in 2016? Did you try Hearthstone for the first time? Were you tempted by Monster Hunter Freedom Unite after Capcom finally brought it back from the dead? Were you inspired by an RPG Reload to try an old Final Fantasy iteration?

For me, I've had a ball with This War of Mine, Implosion and Furdemption, all from 2015, but I've also checked out the likes of Traps N' Gemstones, 868-HACK, Game Dev Story...

However, I reckon my favourite game of 2016 that isn't actually from 2016 is Corpse Party, a two-year-old port of a Japanese horror visual novel/puzzle game that just oozes atmosphere. 868-HACK came close, though.

What's your best old game of 2016?

2. Dagrims

Dagrims Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Qvadriga
    Siralim
    Sorcery!

3. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    yep, 868-Hack for me. Went back to it after I played Imbroglio. Wayward Souls too - and replayed and completed all the old Mikeys before the new Mikey. Next year I'll get onto the new Mikey. I'll try that Corpse Party too. Let's face it, I probably have it.

4. noteatino

noteatino Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2014
    I finally felt in love with Geometry Wars 3. I played it last year and even with my Mfi controller, I didn't have a blast. But after some good 30 levels deep, I'm addicted. Boy, oh, boy, the supers and drones, and all the action happening on screen is superb!

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Chaos Rings 3. CR 1 and 2 are two of my favorite RPGs on any platform. But by the time I picked up 3, I was a bit burnt out on the series. Finally started back up last month, and I'm definitely enjoying it, even through I'm missing the tighter structure of the first two (well, three).

6. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Some really good shouts here. Siralim is something I've had my eye on for a while, but Geometry Wars 3 never really got its hooks into me. Maybe in 2017?

I have Chaos Rings, but it felt a bit loose and empty so never finished it or got around to the sequels - guess I'll never play CR2 now... But I may have to revisit CR1, if I can still get it to work on iOS 9.

7. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Wayward Souls and Junk Jack X.

I keep returning to wayward because I really wanted to love the game and it just never clicked. My Daughter started playing it and kept harping on about how great it is that I had another go. Well after what feels like years I love it. I'm still rubbish at it and die way earlier than I like, but it feels like fun now.

Junk Jack X was similar, I hated it for a long time but wanted to love it, and then when fishing was introduced I gave it another shot and got hooked. I know it's an old game but with regular updates adding new content, it feels like a new one every time an update hits and I get hooked all over again. Poor Terraria hasn't been touched since this clicked with me.

Most of the games I've played this year have been ones from last year, I've not had the time to give to any kind of gaming for the best part of 2016 so haven't really bought much this year so I've been playing a lot of my backlog when I've been waiting around for doctors or buses etc. I'm looking forward to the GOTY threads though so can see what I've missed and build that backlog up!