Turn based games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PirateRidingParrot, Dec 23, 2015.

1. PirateRidingParrot

PirateRidingParrot Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2015
    Last time I asked for a game similar to dark souls a lot of you offered Wayward souls. Even though it's a great game, I can't enjoy it as much as I think I would. I found out that I only enjoy games like hearthstone - where I'm not 100% concentrated on the game, and I can play with 1 hand. Also, I prefer not purchasing games that I can finish, in hearthstone I can always come back and play a game, it never ends. I was told the same thing about wayward soul but I don't see myself ever playing it after I finish it. So basically, I enjoy turn based games on my phone way more than other games that require more attention / two hands to play.

I doubt that there will be any games that has what I ask for, but I figured I'll just ask here to be sure.

2. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    There's billions of potential fits especially in the turn based catagory. You should just search this general forum for that. Been asked a thousand times.

But, to help, and these are no variants off of what's been offered up before.

XCOM
    Shadow era
    Ascension
    Magic duels
    Xenoshyft
    Galactic keep
    FTL
    ravenmark
    Crowntakers
    Desktop dungeons
    Dream quest
    Summoner wars
    Reiner kinizia the confrontation
    Spellcraft
    Auro
    Last warlock

Man the the list goes on aye

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Based on your description, you basically are looking for a pseudo-solitaire game. Turn-based, can be played in bursts, infinite replayability, and with the addition of a one-handed gameplay.

Here are some suggestions which i think fit the description:

Card Crawl
    Deep Loot
    Adventure To Fate Battle Arena
    Out There
    Dungelot
    Ascension
    Neuroshima Hex

For realtime games (although most likely 2-handed gaming) that share the other descriptions you may want to check out

Slayin
    Super Crossfire
    Downwell
    Knightmare Tower

4. PirateRidingParrot

Aug 9, 2015
    This is generally what I look for, but non of those games will make me come back to them. Sure it will be fun for a week but after that I won't care about them anymore. Hearthstone just has way more to offer (arena, competitive ladder, tavern brawls, new content every few months, a big community)...

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ah... I see. You should look at any of the big freemium titles... They have daily/weekly/monthly touneys, alliance raids, solo skimishes etc.

6. PirateRidingParrot

Aug 9, 2015

Is there anything you can suggest? I've wanted to download CoC but from what I read the new patch basically ruined the game and everyone hates it now

7. SimonMagus

SimonMagus Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2015
    #7 SimonMagus, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    I am not sure how to put this into words and still be polite, but I will try my best..

Are you serious? Unfortunately, I know you are serious because I have been in your shoes a few times before and still find myself there occasionally, especially with premium titles.

Live a little bit!! How about that one?

COC a FTP game, and has been around for years. You are turned off on downloading it due some reviews that you have read concerning the idea that the new level 10 town hall upgrade "ruined the game" for a vocal few gamers out of the millions of players within its gaming base.

(By the way, It could take you a year or two just to reach LV 10 town hall. I play off and on (mostly rare occasion) since the game has been released, and am only TH7..)

Step out of your narrow bubble of comfort and think for yourself a little bit! Download COC and formulate an opinion of YOUR own..

Tough love here, but it needs to be vocalized.. Not just for you, but for many of us..

My message is by no means exclusive to the title of COC, but geared to the overall mindset of apprehensiveness in concern to gaming.

---

And to keep it on topic, I will list a few FTP games that I am loving right now.. (Premium releases are only omitted because your specification of interests are not typically found within such games.)

- Fantasy War Tactics - (Very Active player base. High level of Polish. Tons of depth, long story line, with 100's of cut scenes. Constantly updated. Plenty to do every day.. (These are some of the things that I look for in a FTP title) Every game that I post here, will meet many of these perks, and others cool perks as well.)

- Mabinogi Duels : if you like hearthstone, you may really enjoy this one.

- Dungeon Boss

- Loot & Legends

- Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes

- Plants War 2

- The Moaning

- X-Mercs

- Final Fantasy Record Keeper

- 8 Ball pool

- Warhammer Freeblade

- Spellstone - CCG

- Heroes Empire - CCG

- WWII : TCG - CCG

- Permia Duels - CCG

8. PirateRidingParrot

Aug 9, 2015

I understand what you're saying. My comment was more about the community, I was afraid that most of them are going to just leave now and leave the game without any players.
    You see, I have some kind of a problem with video games. I like having a big (or a decent) community. I like checking reddit sometimes, official forums, answer questions, even reading other players' questions and answers. All the games you listed might be fun and pretty cool, but without having constant updates and decent community I will just quit after a day. That's what I like about hearthstone. I'm really not sure there's a mobile game that has what I want.

9. SimonMagus

Nov 22, 2015
    #9 SimonMagus, Dec 24, 2015
    Yep, I am the same way in regard to MMO's, often times.. Well, nothing is going to beat Hearthstone in this regard for a while, I don't think.. Yes, my list will need to be narrowed to meet your newly voiced interests..

But, if you are keen on giving COC a run, I feel you may find yourself a new side-obsession. Lots of websites, videos, companion apps, etc.. Same with Puzzle and Dragons, if you haven't tried it yet..

10. PirateRidingParrot

Aug 9, 2015
    I've seen puzzle and dragons, but I have no idea how to download it... There's a japanese version (?) and an english version and I don't know what I'm supposed to download or where because I didn't find it on the appstore

11. SimonMagus

Nov 22, 2015
    #11 SimonMagus, Dec 24, 2015
    I just did a quick appstore search for "Puzzle & Dragons", first hit brought up the English version. It's a fun game, and one that I have sunk many hours into.. It's one of those games that you can spend more time with 'research' then actually playing.. Which can be kinda fun sometimes. Similar to hearthstone..

This buzz on PAD (like COC) is fading a bit, but it still gets regular quality updates, and still has a strong player base, with tons of info floating around on the web like which monsters are OP meta game breaking, etc..

While on this topic, Brave Frontier is another great one that will hit on all the notes that we have talked about.

12. PirateRidingParrot

Aug 9, 2015

There's a little problem with Coc, I already played it a little bit before. I'm at town hall level 6, my family / friends played A LOT on my phone and I did almost nothing, so I have no idea what to do and I have tons of random buildings and units. I would love to restart and play with a new village but they don't give you that option unless you wipe all your data...

And I still can't find pad. I'm talking about the appstore on the iphone.

13. SimonMagus

Nov 22, 2015
    #13 SimonMagus, Dec 24, 2015
    Hmm, I use iPad, but I also just did a search in 'iPhone only' and PAD was first hit there too. As for COC, yep.. you can delete the app from your phone, and then reinstall.. You'll get a prompt to a start fresh account, which is what it sounds like you are ready to do.

14. PirateRidingParrot

Aug 9, 2015
    I can't do that with CoC, you have to delete everything you have on the iphone (do a complete wipe) on order to get that message.

And about PAD, it's not available in my country. Is there anything I can do about it?

15. SimonMagus

Nov 22, 2015
    #15 SimonMagus, Dec 24, 2015
    Yep, I just checked COC, thats correct.. Unfortunately you can't just delete the app and reinstall..

Here is Puzzle and Dragons North America link. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/puzzle-dragons-english/id563474464?mt=8

What country are you in?

16. PirateRidingParrot

Aug 9, 2015
    Well, not in NA :/ (sorry I don't want to post where I live here). I think it's possible to open a new account and download it like that but I don't want to switch accounts whenever there's an update.

I'll just stick to Hearthstone for the meantime. I also found "uniwar" which shows great potential and it looks like mini starcraft, too bad I don't see a lot of people talking about it. I also liked the Arena game that you posted before, I'll just play those 3 until I get bored and then see if anything new comes up. Thanks for the help

17. SimonMagus

Nov 22, 2015
    I hear ya! Take care.. :)

18. elthesensai

elthesensai Member

Nov 13, 2012

A lot of great games suggested but FTL needs to come out for the iPhone. At least for the plus version.

19. Deadpool6902

Deadpool6902 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
  20. SimonMagus

Nov 22, 2015
    joke?