iPhone Firefight - WWII (by Sean O'Connor)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Thanks Cassus!

The update has gone live now so the graphics glitch and mortar crews not moving bug should both be fixed now.

I'm working hard on the next map, and other improvements too.

2. If anyone is interested I could make the map creator app available (it's a Windows app). You would need to be pretty good at graphics though to be able to generate the background images yourself as they're created by hand. My map creator then allows you to design the contours of the hills and shades your background image, and lets you position all the trees, buildings, fences, hedges, units etc...

3. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Appreciation: keep up the good work!

Statement: I actually played a game on bus during return trip. The trip took an hour but I could not complete it.

Observation: I had 2 German squads (>8 men each) surrounded a British tank in a backyard. No matter how many times I made move or fire orders, they did not attack. It took a Pz38(t) to move up the cross road to save to day.

4. There's not much that infantry can do against tanks, especially early in the war. I think infantry running out and sticking bombs on the sides of tanks is just for the films, and in real life would be certain suicide!

5. The latest version (1.2) has gone live and I've made some big improvements:

- Better grass textures
    - Tank AI now makes more of an effort to keep the tank's frontal armour facing the enemy
    - Infantry throw grenades
    - Infantry can scavenge ammo off each other and from dead bodies
    - Mortar teams can choose targets on their own
    - Halved the CPU usage to save your battery life
    - Added social media buttons
    - Added sheep!

6. Version 2.0 is out now on the AppStore and it can run on iPhones and iPod Touches as well as iPads now. I've also added some new features like showing hill contours when you zoom out, and there are now 6 maps available with number 7 in the pipeline!

Attached Files:

7. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Iphone!!! Awesome!

8. I've just released version 3.0 which now has local network play. One player can be the attacker while the other defends. If this is popular I'll look into having teams of network players attack and defend. If you give it a go please let me know what you think!

9. Alex DeLargest

Alex DeLargest Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    USA/France
    I recently got a new iPad and pulled this game out of my backlog, and oh what a treat.

As a big fan of the old 2d Close Combat games, this really scratches that itch. Not as complex in terms of the granularity of the orders you can issue, but I love the details and the AI is pretty great. Takes a round or two to get used to the pace and responsiveness of the soldier AI routines. But loads of tense fun once you settle in.

Still in active development! And the tag on the thread is wrong. This is a universal app, but I personally couldn’t imagine playing on a phone.