How do you position your device while playing frantic games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by plasmakirby3, Oct 19, 2011.

1. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Particularly games that are meant to be played with your index finger(s), such as Slam Dunk King and the not-as-applicable but more well-known Fruit Ninja. With games such as these, I swipe/tap pretty hard, and it sometimes pushes, displaces, or rotates my device, which often distracts me from the game. Playing with the device lying on a flat surface is near impossible, as my device's curved backside makes it spin too easily. I need a firm, comfortable, and not awkward way to hold my iPod to play these types of games. How do you guys handle this problem?

Being right-handed, by current grip is to hold the iPod with my left and to sandwich the device between my fourth and index finger, in front of my middle finger. I push forward with my thumb and towards me with my middle finger, and obviously my right hand does the actual playing. Although this feels natural for me and has worked pretty well in the past, it is not resolute enough for some games I have recently played.

P.S. I realize this thread might seem laughable for some, but I am completely serious.

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I have an iPhone 4, so I usually place it on a flat surface.

When I don't, though, I hold it in my left hand like so:

(from landscape mode)
    Thumb on the top-left of the phone, with the other fingers wrapping around the far right side. My index finger ends up on the top-right corner, and my pinky supports the bottom-right.

I find that to be comfortable and gives a pretty solid grip. In fact, I played Slam Dunk King like that. ^.^
    With high-concentration games that make me tense it sometimes doesn't work though, as it leaves my wrist in pain after prolonged playing.

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #3 backtothis, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
    Left hand with index finger on top and thumb on bottom, making a C shape that clamps the screen. Middle finger right behind the screen with it and the other two fingers pushing forward on the iPod. Or, index finger on top just like the first position mentioned above, middle finger and other two fingers make a fist and pushing against the back of the iPod, and the thumb flat on the iPod vertically so it's perpendicular to the partial C clamp of the index finger. Your thumb will be covering the entire left side of the iPod outside of the screen. I never place my iPod on a surface for any games.

And yes, I laughed after I saw the post initially xP.

4. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Haha! This is exactly how I play. I've never played with my iPod on a flat surface. Heck, I don't think I've ever used any of my touchscreen devices on a flat surface.

5. littlezoe

littlezoe Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    #5 littlezoe, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
    One of my ways of playing games like this is sitting down and then holding my phone flat down, maybe place it on my legs.. But i can also move it when needed, hold it in the air, ect... but it's more comfortable when you don't have to really hold it up..

But there is another way that i often do. It's like i hold the phone just with my left hand, my index finger behind the phone, the thumb holding the phone's left side and the other 3 holding the other side. This way the phone is stabilized and you can just use you other index finger to play..

I often find myself unable to play most games while laying in bed as my hands will start to hurt after some time... So the best is to just sit.. :)

6. ToySoldier

ToySoldier Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Depends on the game for me. Tilt to Live (still one of my favorites) I need to be sitting upright looking over my iPad. For slicing games like Fruit Ninja, I usually hold my iPad with my left hand while resting the back of the device with my knees. Things can get kinda crazy.... ;)

7. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    This.

8. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    This isn't firm enough for me :(

Hey, this actually works pretty well! Thanks! :D

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    You must seriously be raping your device up the hole then when you play Fruit Ninja, lol. I'm pretty calm even when I'm playing the multiplayer for Fruit Ninja, which I have over 100 completed games of. The only game that I've had to go on a frenzy for is Zombiesmash..omg the multiplayer for that game..freaking intense and definitely makes you sweat. Feels like I'm doing 150 swipes/min.