Universal Pocket Planes by NimbleBit - Join Flight Crew #TouchArcade

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 13, 2012.

1. ThinkTwice

ThinkTwice Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Bug?

On the STATS screen I do not see any graphs for REVENUE, MILES and FLIGHTS in the top right corner as shown in the last picture of post #1. Anybody else with this problem? :confused:

2. sooz

sooz Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Seattle, WA USA
    Yep - pretty sure it's a bug as a few other people have mentioned it in this thread.

3. sooz

sooz Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Seattle, WA USA
    #543 sooz, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
    Well, in my opinion it's not critical yet. Bigger airports seem to just have more jobs available (and more layover space). My strategy is to open more routes (so more mid size airports) and have more planes so that I can keep things moving and income flowing in. I'm sure later in the game it'll help to have the biggies. But as long as all of your planes are busy and making you reasonable money - I would prefer to open 2 mid range airports (like San Fran and Houston) than save up for LA right now.

(This is speaking as someone who has NY open.)

just my $0.02

4. araziza

araziza Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I think it was worth it. There are a buttload of jobs there, and I've already got back to $7000. I'm not regretting my purchase at all

5. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Thanks for the advice!

6. akpak

akpak Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Some more tips

Forum ate my first try at this post.

1. It is sometimes profitable to "deadhead" (fly an empty plane) to a busier airport. You can offset the cost by watching the plane in flight, and grabbing coins/bux out of the air.

2. Jobs that pay Bux are worth more than G jobs. 1 Bux = ~500g (more if you're exchanging more). It may looks like a job isn't profitable, but that's because the game doesn't factor the G value of Bux.

3. Layovers are handy for grouping jobs for big bonuses. If you have a full plane and all the jobs go to the same place, you get a big coin bonus. Drop jobs off at busy airports, so you can better group them.

4. Also, you don't have to fly your entire route. You can make a stopover at an airport between. So if 2/3 of your flight is going to a place, go ahead and fill the 3rd slot. Only fly as far as your "odd job," and then hope to fill the space with a job going to the same place as your other two jobs.

5. It's sometimes good to let a plane sit in an airport until the jobs refresh. If there aren't enough jobs, or the wrong type, you can wait. At the top of the airport screen it shows when new jobs are coming. You can load your plane with existing jobs, that will be "safe" from the refresh. Then you can hope for more jobs to the same place as you've already boarded.

6. Airports show number of layovers on the map. If you have a layover job somewhere, that airport will show "1L" next to its name on the map.

7. Don't expand too fast. Making a lot of short hops can be very profitable. And the fewer airports you have, the better your chances of grouping jobs for bonuses.

8. Name/color code your planes, based on capacity/type/range, etc. Helps to see at a glance what your planes can do.

9. If you don't have Calgary, don't worry. There will be other events closer to "home" later on. Don't go broke trying to participate in this one.

7. akpak

akpak Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
    #547 akpak, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
    Double post, disregard :)

8. sooz

sooz Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Seattle, WA USA
    Sure thing. But the critical note is - as long as your planes are busy and you're making money. If you hit the point where it seems like you're waiting for jobs...then you should consider investing. But I have Houston and Phoenix and they seem pretty busy.

9. akpak

akpak Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
    #549 akpak, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
    Double post

10. rctneil

rctneil Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Finally managed to get Calgary airport and Spokane in the middle so I have got a few jobs to Calgary already to help with the TOUCHARCADE flight crew.

We are pretty much all screwed when we have to fly all the way to Brisbane for the next event!

11. akpak

akpak Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
    It is sometimes profitable to "deadhead" (fly an empty plane) to a busier airport. You can offset the cost by watching the plane in flight, and grabbing coins/bux out of the air.

Jobs that pay Bux are worth more than G jobs. 1 Bux = ~500g (more if you're exchanging more). It may looks like a job isn't profitable, but that's because the game doesn't factor the G value of Bux.

Layovers are handy for grouping jobs for big bonuses. If you have a full plane and all the jobs go to the same place, you get a big coin bonus. Drop jobs off at busy airports, so you can better group them.

Also, you don't have to fly your entire route. You can make a stopover at an airport between. So if 2/3 of your flight is going to a place, go ahead and fill the 3rd slot. Only fly as far as your "odd job," and then hope to fill the space with a job going to the same place as your other two jobs.

It's sometimes good to let a plane sit in an airport until the jobs refresh. If there aren't enough jobs, or the wrong type, you can wait. At the top of the airport screen it shows when new jobs are coming. You can load your plane with existing jobs, that will be "safe" from the refresh. Then you can hope for more jobs to the same place as you've already boarded.

Airports show number of layovers on the map. If you have a layover job somewhere, that airport will show "1L" next to its name on the map.

Don't expand too fast. Making a lot of short hops can be very profitable. And the fewer airports you have, the better your chances of grouping jobs for bonuses. Don't be afraid to close airports to optimize your routes.

Name/color code your planes, based on capacity/type/range, etc. Helps to see at a glance what your planes can do.

If you don't have Calgary, don't worry. There will be other events closer to "home" later on. Don't go broke trying to participate in this one.

12. Juuicetin

Juuicetin Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    I think Brisbane is just a normal event. The other events not highlighted in blue are just normal events where you see increased traffic and themed cargo/passengers. I think the next global event will be somewhere completely different.

Now that I understand the layover system, I am making so much more money thanks to the "all passengers/cargo to the same destination" bonus.

13. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    a bit late to this thing, so haven't kept up all the posts, can someone tell me if this game crashes a lot for everyone else.

i pretty much am guaranteed a crash when I have the game open and it goes to sleep mode, and if I get a plane landed notification.

Pretty much had various crashes here and there when doing other things as well, though not frequently.

14. rctneil

rctneil Member

Sep 11, 2010
    ah right, so we will see another global event shortly I guess? Oooh, a plane has landed, gotta go!

15. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Salt Lake City is a great buy.

16. sooz

sooz Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Seattle, WA USA
    Happens for me all the time and sounds like it's an issue since there are many other reporting crash bugs. But sounds like Nimblebit is working quickly to try and fix it too...

17. nekros

nekros Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    wondering if I messed up starting in the Carribean. Tropical storms shut down some destinations for a while. Very addicting game though.

Do you people generally feel it is best to ditch underperforming planes (under 150 MPH) for faster models or try to upgrade? Because upgrading doesn't seem to me to get me much bang for the bux so to speak.

18. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    #558 Jacob007, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
    Okay, I have a few questions!
    Is Las Angelos (or however you spell it) worth it? What do cities with huge populations get you?
    And since LA is so expensive, do you have any tips on how I can get a boatload of coins to buy it faster?

19. sooz

sooz Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Seattle, WA USA
    Post #569 is my answer to your LA question.

But getting a boatload of coins...it's all about keeping your planes producing funds and being efficient.

As you're setting your route you can see how much money you'll be making on the flight in the upper right of the screen (it doesn't take into account when you're delivering for a Bux...just the coin values.) Make sure you're always making money on your flights. Take advantage of the 25% bonus when you deliver multiple payloads to the same location. Take payloads that pay out Bux when you get them (they can be traded in for 500 coin). Try not to fly empty but if you have to keep a spot empty...then make sure to set your route smartly so that you can stop in one location and check for more cargo to fill up en route. There are lots of other tips in the thread if you go back a bit.

20. akpak

akpak Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
    It's sometimes profitable to "deadhead" (fly an empty plane) to a busier airport. You can offset the loss by watching the plane in flight, and grabbing coin/bux out of the air.