Dungeon Masters (by Supe, LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Jan 7, 2013.

1. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    #21 mekanikal fiend, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
    Thanks for the hint on the spells! Seems much easier now.
    I got two chests now, I can see what's inside, but can't figure out how to open :confused:

As for a mini review.

Its Dungeon master on your iPad. Buy it if you like dungeon crawlers. Controls for playing are smooth as they were back in the day; the inventory and switching items takes some getting used too, and is in real time, so if your looking at your loot and monsters can attack if there are any around.

Straightforward port. No Instructions. After all your characters die, the game crashes and your back to the load screen upon re launching.

But, it's dungeon master on your iPad. Who knows how long it will last?
    I'm on the third floor and everything is working great. Like I said, as good as I remember on pc.

2. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    #22 GaZ-OiD, Jan 7, 2013
    This was the best thing since slice bread when it came out in 1988 (Amiga) by a company called faster than light. It was originally extremely hard to get on the Amiga when it first came out and I had to find it in an import shop in London and I paid £35 for it, which was a fortune for a game then. The most I had ever paid and it was years before I paid that again. I thought it was worth every penny then so it must be worth £1.49 in 2013 :)

3. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    #23 Captive, Jan 7, 2013
    http://stanislavs.tripod.com/games/dmspells.htm

That link should help with the spell symbols in Dungeon Master.
    The graphics have obviously been upgraded over the original but still plays really well on ipad.

Update: After several hours playing casting certain spells now crashes the game constantly.

4. roorooroo

roorooroo Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    I remember buying this way back then too on the Atari ST..I had to import it from US.

Dungeon Master is still my favourite game!

Any more people playing it?

Cheers.

5. Akhoon

Akhoon New Member

Jan 23, 2011

Same problem, it happend when the caster level up...

6. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Damn, I've just bought this and now I found out its crashing. Crap :(

7. mekanikal fiend

Sep 9, 2010
    The only crash I've gotten so far is if you try to identify a Heath potion By the person whom made it, will cause a crash constantly. Anyone else identifying it works fine. It must be that the empty flask sudden changed into a different item that causes the confusion.

Hopefully we get some bug fix updates. If we don't; then I still have dungeon master on my iPad. :)

Funny that this shows up out of left field, when supposedly 2 or 3 other developers have been "working" on trying to bring it to IOS for over a year :rolleyes:

8. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I'm sure I'll be verbally abused by saying this, but am I alone in not enjoying Dungeon Master? I got it when it came out, IIRC that was during the dark ages of PC roleplaying (which began in the early mid 90's 'till Baldur's Gate, or maybe a bit earlier, Daggerfall). Something about the semi realtime component put me off, and I thought it felt pretty generic and lacking in character.

Now could someone PRETTY PLEASE update and port Darklands for goodness sakes? If someone could actually remake it, it has the potential to be one of the greatest games ever. Well, it's still, in it's sorry DOS state, a top 30 RPG IMO.

9. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    There is another consistent potion-related crash as well: holding an empty bottle over a water fountain and letting go.

10. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I'd DEFINITELY be down for a Darklands port or a remake! That game is incredible! I still miss my uber alchemist. :D

11. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    This was the first of it's type released in '87 for the Atari ST, so as a landmark game it's pretty valued. It was a lot earlier than the other RPGs you mentioned.

12. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Ok...there was a sequel, correct? Maybe that is what I was thinking of. Now I have to check out when Eye of the Beholder came out. Man, I've played too many games ;).

13. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I find this unlikely, to be honest. The game came out in 1987, and while you might look at the game now and view it that way, "generic and lacking in character" wasn't how anybody was describing it when it was released, especially because there wasn't really anything else offering that kind of experience. If you first encountered the game in the mid-90s, however (Daggerfall came out in 1996, nine years after DM), then that might explain it due to all the advances that had been made in the years since.

14. mekanikal fiend

Sep 9, 2010
    #34 mekanikal fiend, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    I'm getting a bunch of crashes with casting multiple spells with different characters. When using one Mage I don' t really get any crashes, but i have 3 magic users in my party and if I try to cast the light spell with each one quickly I get a crash. I thought it had something to do with having the runes preloaded on multiple characters, then casting a spell, but after more testing this isn't the case.

EDIT. Seems its one of my characters that is causing the crash. If the spell succeeds it crashes, I tried a potion spell with no empty flask and the error saying I needed a flask came up. So maybe it's because my priest is about to gain a skill level? I have gained a fighter level and that didn't cause a crash so maybe it's just mages :/ sucks because if I'm right then this is going to be a pretty major bug.

15. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    There was a sequel/expansion in '89 and a proper sequel (DM2) in '93 according to wikipedia. EotB series was lovely to look at for its time.

16. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    #36 Greyskull, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    Thanks. I never played the original; I had DM2 for my PC. What was I playing in '89...if they were out yet, Might and Magic 3 and Megatraveller 2.

EDIT: nope, both were early '90s. I think I was mostly playing my Gameboy at the time :)

And I would gladly pay 60 bucks for a Darklands overhaul...Hi resolution art, redone playing field (isometric, perhaps?) and sprites, of course, etc.

17. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Has anyone figured out how to take something out of a chest? (Or place something inside?)

18. mekanikal fiend

Sep 9, 2010
    Nope. I got 3 now too. If you bring it to the eye icon it shows what's inside. The food water bars change to the chest contents, but I can't figure out how to make it stick. On the hand to the right it has an arrow pointing into the chest, but it does nothing. Tried dragging stuff while holding it over the eye; didn't work. Now I'm stuck because I need to get a mirror out of a chest, but cannot :(

19. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dark RPG period of the early 90s? Darklands (as mentioned), Eye of the Beholder, Ultima Underworld, Ultima 7, Might and Magic 3, 4, and 5, dare I say...System Shock?

Man, I had a very different early 90s than some people, I guess!

I'll be jumping on this one, but I'm honestly pretty sketchy on games pre-automap. I like them, but my spatial memory sucks too much to be very good at them.

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I agree the early 90's had its fair share of good RPG's, Baldurs Gate in the late 90's was the one which obviously turned a lot of non-RPG fans into fans as it was the huge mainstream title.

Dungeon Master i wasnt that keen on at the time, BUT i did appreciate when i saw it on my friends Amiga how revolutionary it was.