Orbitum - rhythm-based action platformer (or orbiter) by Happymagenta

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Happybyte, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happybyte

Happybyte Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    As you may know, while we’re working on our major project, Joan Mad Run, from time to time we step aside and run an in-team hack-a-ton to make some small project to give our minds a fresh breath, so after a couple of days spent on it we could get back to Joan somewhat refreshed.

I’m going to present you Orbitum, one of those small projects.

It’s hard to describe what Orbitum is, because it’s more or less unique, unlike games we played, but you will get the idea if you love games like Super Hexagon, Geometry Dash and Impossible Game. It’s a one-tap rhythm-based reflex-testing action platformer, sort of. Instead of jumping over a platform you will jump between orbits trying to escape from being sucked into the black hole.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Addictive and hypnotizing it may easily make you obsessed with it until you drain all the power left in your phone battery, like I did last night before falling asleep.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

If you want to get and test the game right now, before it’s officially released on July 2nd, send me a message through the forum and I will sent you download code to get it directly from iTunes Store – I would really love if you share your impressions and tell me till which level did you make it here in this thread.

*** F.A.Q ***

Game will be released next Wednesday as two separate versions, paid and ad supported free. Paid version will cost $0.99. You can play free version if you don’t mind the ads. Then you can install paid version if you like the game. Neither free version nor paid one will have IAP – no IAP and no bullshit.

2. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    I tried to send you a PM several times, but it wouldn't go through. Not sure why. I'd love a code, and will leave impressions for sure. This looks like my kind of game!

3. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Hi, Paul!

Just sent the PM with the code to you.

Probably it's the rate limit of messages - if you sent PM to anyone then you may need to wait next 30 seconds until you can send next one.

Also send codes to others who requested.

Thanks a lot, ppl. :) I hope you'll like the game.

4. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Loving this, you basically have to survive as long as possible as you travel over spinning circles that shrink towards the centre then disappear, you need to move away from the centre by tapping, to complicate it you've gotta avoid red obstacles which are also orbiting on their circles at varying speeds, there are orbiting bonus blue items which give you a variety of powers such as score multiplier, then there's also green items which award you with points.
    The longer you last the faster the circles shrink and the faster the obstacles orbit, when teamed with the soundtrack it's hypnotic despite being frantic . It's the type if game where you need to be in the zone and bug out to do well, I've got to level four with a high score of 3064, Andy will be ruling the boards once he gets his hands on this.

I like the colour changes as you change levels but wasn't so keen on the beige scheme as there wasn't enough contrast to distinguish the obstacles and it was difficult to see what I should avoid.

Def worth checking out when it's launched.

5. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I can barely see right now and my hands hurt like the dickens because of my carpal tunnel. It seems like I am falling apart so everyone please excuse me if it's taking me a while to post impressions. If it's been a while please pm me, sorry to everyone.

This game is pretty awesome. I am completely into trippy circular games like this and this one is pretty addicting. Everyone should definitely keep an eye on this game when it launches because it's very good. I would write more but my hands and wrists are burning.

6. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    #6 Happybyte, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    Thanks, cloudpuff!

Thanks, coolpepper43!

I also got the carpal tunnel syndrome which bothered me for quite a while until finally I found a way to make it let me go with only occasinal rare pains. I tried zillion of methods, including special keyboards, special gel pillows, but nothig helped. But it did go away itself when I bought a proper chair for my home working place and started to sit in a proper pose. Now it only may become noticeable if I play some game for 3-4 days in the raw without a rest, but normal 8-10 hours working a day makes no pain at all. Also playing on iPhone doesn't pain, while playin on iPad is less convenient and may cause pain sometimes.

Getting back to the game.

This does require some skill and training - while testing I mastered the ability to progress to the 14-15th level.

The tension increases as you go to the level 9 and passing trough it makes me sweat sometimes.

At level 10 there is a calm zone when the game gives you some rest, then it starts getting harder again.

Basically now that is my time waster when I'm getting asleep and it was the one that did eat my phone battery till the phone switched off - was trying to get to past level 10 as usual, but due to some inaccuracy I wasn't able to do so, then retried and retried, and retried... :)

You are right the music progresses with the levels and the motion, color changes and speed depends on music and the rhythm - that hypnotizes :)

7. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    I'm really loving Orbitum. It does remind me of Super Hexagon with the twitchy quality and spiral like theme, but jumping from the center orbital ring to the outer rings is unique for sure. The snarky/funny computer game voice overs are pretty good and also remind me of "Game Over/Begin/Line/Square" from SH giving the game a nice retro arcade flavor. Maybe make a few more voice overs that are even funnier and maybe a little snarkier? As for gameplay, I like the level progression and the ramp up seems generous- not too easy and not too difficult which should appeal to a bigger audience. Also really liked the power ups in the game. Maybe make the different power ups distinguishable from each other to add a sense of urgency while playing? Obtaining the green score orbs can be tricky, but there is also a nice rhythm if you can fall into it for awhile. I dig level 3 for it's inventiveness. It's hard to see where the outer rings kick in, but you do get a sense and can figure it out with other clues. I liked level 4 and it's craziness too. I have only made it to level 5 twice and freaked out both times and forgot what I was doing as I just started staring at everything and then got sucked into the vortex! I also dig the music and it really adds to the gameplay, especially noticeable when level 2 kicks in. Overall, this is a great twitchy minimal arcade game that could be a big hit. I hope it finds a lot of love when it is released next week. Good luck and thanks again for the code.

8. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #8 coolpepper43, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    Right now as of this moment my CT is doing much better. It gets so bad at times. I had cortizone shot years ago and that took care of the pain and now it's coming back with a vengeance. I have an iPad mini with a heavy case so it can really agitate my symptoms.
    Anyways, this game is very hypnotic with a great sound track. I really love that the female voice has an attitude, it really gives the game more character. I thought this game was going to be like Atomic+ (It's completely different) but I think this game is better.

9. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Thanks :) If anyone else wants the code just send me a PM. Still have some codes available.

10. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Really really enjoying this one!

These types of games are some of my favorite for mobile: a simple one touch twitch game that still manages to a have a surprising amount of meat on it's bones.

Not much I can say to improve it, it's pretty stellar as it is! No bugs to report either

11. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    This game is really cool. I have made it to about the 4th level in a few minutes of play. I love that it has a learning curve. My first few rounds, I kept getting so distracted that I drained in the center over and over! Gotta keep moving up and up.

The only thing that might be good is showing the graphic from the pause menu right before your first play. It may have done that and I missed it, but I don't think so. Otherwise, super addictive and slick looking. Good work!

12. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    That's the key! I remember when I wasn't able to pass 5th level, then 7th. Took me some time to learn.

I'll share it with the team.

13. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    I like the game so far, only played several minutes last night. It reminds me with attacca game, though that's one is harder than orbitum. My only problem here is when the color changing into brown alike color spectrum, it's bit difficult to see the line. However, I think it just the matter of time, the more you play, you will feel common with it. Simple gameplay, easy to learn but hard to master since we should learn every obstacle by ourself. Really suitable to waste your time.. :)