App Store Release Dates

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by gillygize, Feb 22, 2010.

1. So...one of my favorite Mac Developers just released an iPhone version of one of his apps. At his website, I read this blog entry: http://blog.hogbaysoftware.com/post/384063930/scrambling#disqus_thread and one of the things it says surprised me a little bit:

I am a little bit curious about this, because this is the first time I have heard that setting a late release date will cause the app to miss being on the "Sort By Release Date" list. I assumed that if you set the release date ahead, it would simply appear on that list on the day that you set it for. If I understand this comment correctly, the release date is set by when the app is "approved" so you miss out on exposure if the app is late.

Does anyone know if this is true or not? I was intending to use a late release date in order to have some time to build publicity before its launch, but now I am not sure that this is a viable strategy.

2. Remmykins

Remmykins Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    The Appstore has always operated this way and it is really weird for Apple to do this.

3. potan

potan Active Member

Feb 27, 2009
    yeah.. as far as i remember, Apple use the earliest date, (either the Approval Date or your Availability Date, they will pick the earliest).

if you set your Availability date to March 20, 2010 & apple send you approval on March 10, 2010.
    Then on March 20, 2010 your game will be available but it's not gonna appear on a New Release, it will appear as March 10, 2010 when you sort by release date (they pick the earliest) .
    Which doesn't really make sense to me.

Basically you have to setup your Availability date the same date as Approval Date once Apple send you email approval.

I'm not sure if this is how it works today though, maybe other developer can confirm about it ??

4. Cool, thanks for your replies. I've read about release dates before in various places, but somehow I must have misread that critical piece of information.