Looking for an artist

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by chubs, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I'm working on a game, but my artist has given up on it - just wondering if anyone would be interested in working on it with me? Just to be upfront, i'm looking to do a revenue split rather than up-front payment (i hope that doesn't offend anyone?).

It's a space quest clone (80's adventure game) - i've done about 50% of the code for it.

Cheers all

2. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
  3. CharlieT

CharlieT Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Composer/Sound artist
    Montreal, QC.
    Could you post some of your existing assets or a screenshot of the art style? I may be interested.

4. Thanks for the interest! Hopefully this can answer your questions:

Basically i've been working with a designer (who now cannot continue) on a pixel-art retro adventure game, inspired by sierra 80s adventure games (eg kings quest, space quest, etc) that were close to my heart back in the day, eg:
    http://www.spacequest.net/sq2/screenshots/

I'll attach some screens of what we've got so far. None of the screens are production artwork, are all concept art so far. Here's our art so far:
    http://imgur.com/a/Fpt2o

The code for the game is fairly advanced, but i have no artwork, and am wondering if anyone would be interested at all? I'm open to changes in artistic direction, it's just that i've got the code / template for an adventure game mostly ready to go, but without any art to go with it, so it'd be a shame to put it to waste.

If you're interested, let me know

5. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    What's the concept behind the game? Are you making a new game in the Space Quest genre or are you just making a clone? There's nothing wrong with making a clone, after all there are heaps and heaps of clones for iPhone and they often get featured on this website.

6. DistantJ

Jan 25, 2012
    I could do it, and would really enjoy it too, but what kinda budget you got?

7. Dnk: The concept is to make a game in the style of space quest, but for it to be totally it's own game (eg the player looks different, he has a different name, everything is different).

DistantJ: Thanks for your enthusiasm, but (as i stated in the first post, hoping to make it clear) i'm looking at a revenue split as opposed to paying you up front, which i hope doesn't offend you.

8. DistantJ

Jan 25, 2012
    The problem with the app store is it's a gamble every time, so in helping with this we can't be sure it'll even give us our time's worth back in revenue, otherwise I'd jump straight to the opportunity...