Plants vs Zombies update Beware!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jim G, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Jim G

Jim G Member

May 28, 2010
    #1 Jim G, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
    PopCap has released a bug fix that claims to be for "general fixes".

That might be true (who knows since they have not released an itemized bug fix list), HOWEVER... What they're not telling you is that they've yanked the Michael Jackson zombie without telling you that is a significant part of the so-called update.

Consider carefully before you choose to update, if you're happy with the game the way it is. Check the reviews of this version (iPad at the least), for verification. It's too late for me. :(

I have to say I'm pissed at the underhanded way they went about this.

CLARIFICATION: Considering it, I'm sure they must have been under pressure from Sony and the MJ Estate to do this.. but what makes me feel hard done by is that they weren't honest with me the customer. They told me that there was an update, and the contents of the update were "general fixes" which led me to believe that the patch was to address performance issues. Perhaps it did? But it also deleted content and replaced it without telling me. That feels like a bit of dishonesty directed towards me, regardless of whatever beef Sony and the MJ estate has with them.

I'll grant that they probably felt like they had no choice, I just think there was a better way to treat me the buyer, than a trojan horse update. That's all.

2. Codycat

Codycat Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Don't stalk me.
    Your about a week late for me

3. Jim G

Jim G Member

May 28, 2010
    Sorry!

I missed the original story. They got around to the HD iPad version this morning and caught me.

Dammit.

Well, sorry for the lateness. My intentions were good. Was this covered over here? I don't go to Pocketgamer very often

4. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I still don't see the big deal about them taking the "Michael Jackson" zombie out of the game. It still doesn't bother me at all that they took it out, and I'm still not sure why so many people are freaking out about it. :p

5. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    I never got past the MJ Zombie. He always freaked me out. :p

6. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I think it's silly that Popcap caved in, considering what they were doing was perfectly legal.

7. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Yeah this was discussed when the update first came out for the iPod/iPhone version. The Jackson Estate issued a statement to PopCap Games asking for them to remove the Dancing Zombie from the game because it resembled MJ too much.

As others have said PopCap games was within their legal right to include the Dancing Zombie but I'm guessing out of respect they just went along with the request and changed the character instead of trying to fight it in court battles.

8. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    Crap, already updated last week..

9. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I explained this in the PvZ thread, but I'll do so again here.

If you really want the MJ zombie back, all you have to do is go into your trash and look for the old .ipa. Drag it to your desktop, and double click on it to add & replace the updated .ipa. Then sync.

There, all done and you have your MJ zombie back.

10. DrMonkey

DrMonkey Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Well, they did fix something that was bugging the MJ Estate. :b

11. Jim G

Jim G Member

May 28, 2010
    For reasons I don't care to get into, I never want to talk about this again. Other than to say I'm surprised by the Estate. Thriller was the medium by which he changed the music industry. Seems silly to be offended by it.

Heh.

So Feel free to continue or discontine the conversation without me.

It bothered me this morning, but it's not worth the energy.