Idevices have a great rpg selection imo

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stirolak26, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    I mean just look at this list:
    http://www.rpg-site.com/classic.html

Look at the variety in that list alone, and it doesn't even feature many strategy RPGs or iPad exclusive ones.

2. Rylin

Rylin Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    There's not enough sci-fi/modern rpg's since people still seem to enjoy the onslaught from the fantasy realm.

I'm talking about more westernized rpg's like Fallout and Mass Effect, not Asian-styled sci-fi rpg's -- they make me cringe.

3. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Ea should just port ultimo and eye of beholder series and maybe update the graphics a bit. That would really satisfy many gamer's western rpg itch. Why did they port that stupid Korean rpg recently instead? Or did they just publish it?

4. Max_TO

Max_TO Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I want uncharted waters , that great game from koei .

I really hope they port it

5. Rylin

Rylin Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Actually no, the iDevices don't have a broad selection of RPG's. The current selection consists of Asian-styled 2D RPGs, Isometric/top-down RPGs (Dungeon Hunter/Rimelands), Strategy RPG's (mostly anime/cartoon flavored aka Rogue Planet, etc) and the occasional 3D game (Ravensword, Xenome). If you actually run through those types of RPG's, you realize most are either anime-styled/cartoony and 90% fantasy-themed.

Developers and the gaming iOS market in general have yet to tap into the sci-fi genre which can hold a lot of interesting possibilities. We are teased with things like the failed Mass Effect on the iPhone and the lukewarm Xenome Project but nobody wants to stray from the comfortable realm of Fantasy games since people never get bored of playing elves, wielding swords and crawling through dungeons among many other played-to-death fantasy elements.

Developers need to tap into the sci-fi genre and start producing more seriously-developed, and possibly more mature games that many including myself are dying for. Sci-fi equivalents of Aralon, Ravensword, Rimelands and Dungeon Hunter anyone?

Please tell me I'm not alone on this one hah.. ;)

6. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #6 dumaz1000, Oct 15, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
    If you enjoy retro-style 2-D sprite/anime-based jrpgs and/or korean 8-bit action-rpgs, then yeah. If you don't, then not so much. There are a few that linger outside of this general circle, but not many.

That's my way of saying that I disagree. It's not that great. Nintendo is the RPG-king and so it's not surprising that the DS slaughters the iDevice in this category, but I think that the PSP pretty much ruins the iDevice when it comes to RPGs as well.

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I love the selection available haha. Asian RPGs and the ones involving a medieval/magic type theme have always been my favorite. Lalala..

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #8 syntheticvoid, Oct 15, 2010
    I too want SOME SCI-FI ACTION RPGS in the app store... and I would pay a hefty price for a good one too... none of this Mass Effect type crap either...

Right now, the closest thing we have is Corporate Fury... but if a game that was something like the idea right up there ^^^^ i would pay $10-$20 for that, with no regrets. Especially if it ran as smoothly as Hybrid and Zenonia...

**edit** took out my idea... I think it's too good to post here... =oP

9. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #9 syntheticvoid, Oct 15, 2010
    **post removed by poster...** hehehe... yes... my AtA poster came off the wall and *poof* this post was gone... =oO

10. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    To me the advices have a great selection because I love old school or retro RPGs. In fact the only psp RPGs I want to play (I used to have a psp but it got stolen) are the nipi chi comedy rpgs or retro RPGs. The ds mostly just has remakes with better or 3d graphics or space sic fi rpgs but not much retro era stuff unlike the psp (cladun anyone?) and idevices. Heck even the pen network with stuff like dot heroes has more retro style than ds IMO. Bit everyone has diff tastes its just if I was to ply a big time modern looking rpg I'd rather play a eastern rpg like morrowind or oblivion than anything on ds or even witcher. And the psp mostly just has remakes of old games and very dry and predictable RPGs like the legend of hero series so outside a few nipi icon stuff how can u guys say its selection is better than idevices. Yea it has some exceptions like ys 7 but how unique is that game when u got a bunch of other ys games and zelda clones out there?

11. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I'm not in love with the current selection of RPGs in the app store. There's very little that appeals to the Elder Scrolls fan in me. This is why I'm looking forward to the release of Aralon: Sword and Shadow and The Shadow Sword. I really hope one of these games are good enough to inspire developers to make beefier RPGs for iOS.

12. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Which of the two do u think it will be and which will come out first?

13. tomheroes

tomheroes Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    The RPGs may not be as good as the ones on the DS or the PSP, but for the price of two games on either system you can have 10-20 games on the iphone/ipad. And if you hit sales, that number can be much larger!

14. Cymrune

Cymrune Active Member

Sep 9, 2010
    I've tried basically all the top RPGs on the appstore, and most of them do really suck, some have potential and there is the rare rpg that is amazing.

I'm not expecting a console experience but the ipod touch and iphone are very powerful devices and could do a lot better.

15. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

I'd much rather have 2 great games than 10-20 mediocre ones, any day.

16. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #16 syntheticvoid, Oct 15, 2010
    I think a LOT of people feel that way...

and instead of $20 for a DS game, you could get 4-5 really good games, or 2-3 great games on the iPod...

**edit*** that's not including the sales all the iPod developers have...

17. migo

migo Active Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Sci-Fi RPGs don't fit so well with iOS. Given that iOS comes on a phone the need to have something that you can pick up and play without learning back story or going through some insanely long tutorial is almost overwhelming. Fantasy RPGs are so accessible because they all rely on tropes we're familiar with, stemming from mythology and folklore. Those tropes don't change, so with a Fantasy RPG you can assume that the person playing it knows what it's about. With a sci-fi RPG you need to explain how hard or soft the sci-fi is and make sure that matches with the desires of the players, and also explain the back story. You could do a 20 years in the future thing, or even techno fantasy like Star Wars, but with that you're still relying on having an existing well known property - that means licensing fees which means the game is more expensive than people are comfortable paying for on the App Store.

18. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Honestly I'm getting tired of this whole "The iphone is only really good for casual games" philosophy. Does it support casual games better than maybe any other system? yes. Does that mean it is incapable of supporting a game that requires playing in it least 15-minute chunks? no.

I love casual games, I really do. but I also love my rpg's and it's very difficult to have both. If I ever am in a long car ride, or on an airplane I find it difficult to play doodle jump for 3 hours.

Also, to all the people saying they love old-school rpgs: That's great, I'm glad you enjoy them. But that does not mean there is a great variety of role-playing games. As a previous poster said, the elder scrolls/gothic fan in me just doesn't have a game that can satisfy.

19. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    I agree with this. Although personally I'm a huge old-school rpg fan and having FF1 & 2 and Crimson Gem Saga on my phone is really cool imo. Having emulators are great too, I've been playing FF7 with the PSX emualtor and am loving it but imo the emulators are really only good for turn based rpgs. Playing Zelda on SNES or NES emulators is not easy. Still waiting for a good Zelda clone to come out on the Appstore, Across Age does not cut it for me.

I would love to see more sci-fi rpg's as well though. Xenome has horrible controls imo and it kills the game for me. Looking forward to Mission Europia or whatever it's called.

20. migo

migo Active Member

Apr 29, 2009
    What's interesting with the RPGs is they have a different take. I just recently noticed that some of the more unique RPGs (Rimelands, Sword & Poker loosely counts) come from female dev teams. They've got their own ideas of what's fun rather than working on previously established conventions, so they end up having the same feel of Mirror's Edge - fresh but unpolished. Eventually we'll start seeing highly polished and more unique RPGs, and it'll be a while before 3DS and PSP2 devs can catch up.