Fuzzy Professor Head's Pay-It-Forward Review System

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by fuzzyprofessorhead, Feb 26, 2011.

1. OK fellow indies, I have thought up a way to help us all make better games, I hope. :)

Here's the idea: We're still months away from a public beta (we're two guys with day jobs) and we've been wracking our brains for ways to begin building awareness for our game without screenshots, prototypes, demos or anything...

Then we thought, well, what can we do to help other indie developers, that they might be willing to return the favor in a few months?

So, here's the plan:

1. We will buy a copy of your game (assuming it isn't $1000) and play it. We probably won't buy in-app-purchases, so if that's your business model it's probably not a good fit. We're not judging, just trying to control costs. ;)

2. If we like your game, we will post a glowing endorsement on its thread on this forum. We will also add an app store review and give it 4 or 5 stars. We will also tweet about it and/or like it on Facebook, etc.

3. If we don't like your game, we'll send you a private message explaining why and what you could do to make the game better in our humble opinion -- we're talking thorough feedback here, not your typical "ths gm SUKS" from the app store.

In exchange, we just ask that you do the same thing for us when our game is finally released (we promise not to charge $1000 for it). Sound fair? This way we get to try out a bunch of interesting games and hopefully help get the word out a little.

If you'd like to participate, just respond to this thread with the name of your game (and ideally a link to its forum post) and the text "I hereby promise to review Fuzzy Professor Head's game when he finally, finally, finally releases it" or something equally silly/non-legally-binding.

Thank you for helping us help you help us all.

2. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Sure, I like the idea. Does it have to be a game? Apple reviewer permitting, I have an exciting project set to hit the store on the 7th of March.

3. Clockworkapps

Clockworkapps Well-Known Member

How about using promo codes instead of paying...??

4. starjimstar: Well, we think we'll have better feedback to offer for games, but we can give your app a shot, especially if it has a Star Trek interface. It does have a Star Trek interface, right? ;)

Clockworkapps: Sure, we'll accept a promo code, and give you one of ours in a few months. Though really we're OK with just paying, I mean we're probably talking about a $0.99 investment, maybe, which is furthermore a tax deductible marketing expense. So if you'd rather keep your promo codes for bigger fish, that's cool too.

(Fuzzy Professor Head is not your accountant and this is not financial advice.)

5. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Ha, not this time (sadly.) I'll send the iTunes link your way when it's available and you can decide for yourselves if it floats your boat.

6. If you want something like this to work, you should look into Critters.

Basically, short story writers need tons of critiques before they wrap up a story and submit to publisher. So they submit their story to the review queue. Once your story is at the top, you'll get 10-15 reviews. The catch is you can only have 1 story in at a time and you'll have to review 10-15 stories of others yourself before yours moves to the top. If you don't review, you don't get reviewed!

Personally, having participated in Critters years ago, I can attest to the fact that it improves your story (via reviews) and your writing (as you observe, review others' works). So that's my two cents. I don't think just a quick promise in a forum thread is organized enough to last or provide enduring help. IMO, it should be for unpublished games (shared ad-hoc) so all get better before launch, rather than just a review-generating scheme post-publish. :)

7. Well, Apple makes it somewhat difficult to share games pre-publish -- I want to reserve ad-hoc sharing for actual beta testers. Also we are more than a little paranoid about other developers ripping off our ideas, what with all the shenanigans and goings-on recently.

But, vonObstfelder in a PM had the great idea that we could expand the circle of reviewers so it's not just me. Eg, if 100 people join, we all agree to review the other 99. That'd be awesome, if somewhat expensive for the participants. But if someone wanted to organize such a beast we'd gladly join, we just don't have the time to develop such a project (gotta get the game finished!)

Meanwhile, our original offer still stands -- if you'd like a thorough review of your app, we're willing to offer one in exchange for the eventual thorough review of our own. I've got 3 in the queue already, happy to do more. :)

8. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    I'm interested in the original offer - always like to subscribe to ++karma type deals :)

I doubt I'd have the time to review 99 other games on the other hand.

9. i am 100percent with you because i like your idea so much and i hope you will do it .
    and you know i have also subscribe to ++karma type deals so i am much interested in your plan thank you very much for your brilliant suggestion here .

10. Thanks Blackharon and Humpakistani!

Just to let everyone know, we are absolutely swamped with GDC in San Francisco this week -- but we will get to everyone's games, we promise!

11. Clockworkapps

Clockworkapps Well-Known Member

Great Reviewer!

I just got my fuzzyporfessorhead review..... and it was fabulous. Highly detailed, constructive critique with loads of info and helpful advice on improvements.

Thanks fuzzyprofessorhead...

12. You're welcome! Everyone else, I'm getting to your games, I really am.

Thanks to everyone who's participating, and the offer's still open for other devs. :)

13. samje

samje Member

Oct 13, 2010
    hi, am keen to take part. i wrote the code for Poker Invaders and am always looking for feedback. there's a thread on it here:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=85910

promise to review your app (provided it's not at some crazy expensive price :))

14. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Clockworkapps said it all about the review you sent me a few hours ago. Plenty of detail, plenty of good observations.

Question Fuzzyprofessorhead - did you find the hidden minigame? (The ultimate test of your thoroughness :) )

15. There's a hidden minigame? ...I mean, OF COURSE I found the hidden minigame! What kind of fool do you take me for, sir!

Ok, I admit, FAIL. Mind you, I wasn't necessarily looking for it... But now I want to. ;)

16. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Only one player has said anything about it - so I think we hid it too well ;)

That and the secret message.

17. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Bump. That app I expected to have live back in March was finally approved today.

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

So count me in. :cool:

18. layzerboy

layzerboy Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    I am in. Love what you had to say. Below are the details :)

19. jogo

jogo Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011