Universal Knights of Pen & Paper - (by Behold Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Oct 31, 2012.

1. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say the designers understand their game better than you do.

2. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    In this worst case scenario you can start a new game to raise the cash. All your saves share gold and the room decor etc.

3. starcat

starcat Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    i cannot believe how entitled new gamers are...game over happens.. dont die. all these casuals are ruining good games.

4. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    I agree with the traveling, but it really only felt awkward when collecting things for dex or the shaman etc, because you go far away, grab some stuff, come back, and repeat. It's a money pit.

Could be solved by having more than one quest at a time, so I could do a run and then come back.

Another solution would be to raise the % discount of items which lower travel costs?

I realize the gold % is higher oh collect quests, but its not enough for some of them.

Final note on the matter, someone else mentioned being able to fast travel...that would be sweet. You would have to roll high to avoid an encounter and the encounter could be with the highest level monsters in route.

Anyway, great game devs! I love the humor the design, and am enjoying the meta game aspect of the story.

Q: can you transfer characters to a new campaign?

5. Solarclipse

Jul 30, 2012
    Yeah the thing is that bonuses from inventory or decorations etc don't show up on your character stats. Would love to see the modified number with a different color or a +2 etc by it.

Also, the blacksmith doesn't seem to show bonuses either. I had a 2% success ring on (and on the same chapter who was getting outfitted) but still had my regular success rate listed.

@Devs: as a heads up, I have had the game freeze on me twice. Both times it was the last enemy dying my fire, or maybe bleeding. This is only twice in...like 8 or 9 hours of play though.

6. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle

Actually a lot of hardcore gamers are entitled too. I just read an article that pointed out a lot of the issues with IAP occur from older players who have been gaming for years. They are more familiar with a gaming purchase plan which nets them the entire experience after their purchase. Something that is going away.

Up until a few years ago, you have been able to buy a game and get the entire game experience on the same playing field as everyone else. With IAP and future DLC that has started to fade.

7. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    What's with all the Paladin hate? It's kind of boring to use because it can't scratch anything, but my other party members rarely take damage. I think it makes the game almost too easy.

8. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #208 eev, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
    understand the game, that's interesting but has nothing to do with what i was talking about.

really? upgraded threat skill only and still he takes not that many attacks, plus in boss fights you would like to deal a lot dmg instead of taking, i am looking at you castle defence quest. anyway he is useful in a party like one paladin and 4 mages or barbarians. but even than i would take cleric or another mage. plus guys cmon it's fantasy world, rpg and paladin fights like a mage. :)

9. Ajohnson1

Ajohnson1 Active Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I like the pally. I've got his threat up to around 80% so my guys only get hit twice out of every 10 attacks. Works out pretty well.

I personally think the druid's hibernate spell is way too OP. I just put everybody to sleep and beat down 1 at a time. Game has been a breeze so far.

Can anyone post where to unlock all the extra heroes? I cant remember where i found the Barb, but i found the Knight at Sunset Castle after completing the Battle Skeleton quest.

10. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Is that the case when you then are stuck in battle, but no enemy to attack? If that's the case, use shield instead of attacking the void - it worked for me as a workaround sometimes.

11. Tastyfish

Tastyfish Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Just a couple of fights in and loving it. When is the best time to fill your party up to 5 ?

12. Tropxe

Tropxe Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    England
    Probably as soon as you can afford it. If you have Flowers somewhere in your party of 5, you'll have +6 to all luck rolls - and that affects blacksmith and harvesting/mining success too. Of course, if you want a barbarian, bard or any of the other non-default classes in your party, wait until then.

On a different note, I think there should be a way to leave existing party members at an inn, Dragon Quest style, so you can try out new characters and classes without having to delete characters.

13. Tastyfish

Tastyfish Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011

So can I delete characters and add new ones?

14. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    yeah it works and actually it's quite useful especially when you unlock new players.

15. Ajohnson1

Ajohnson1 Active Member

Nov 3, 2012
    go to sunset castle and talk to the cloaked person

16. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    They say it's useful. You say it's not. I'm going with them.

17. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #217 eev, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
    i am speechless, i did not said that and why do you think i care about how you play this game and that is rhetorical question.

18. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    and have gold ready because you need to pay for adding new hero again.

19. InkyTheGhost

InkyTheGhost Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    My impression is that there are actually two senses or entitlement at work, with devs in the middle. The hardcore gamers, who just want to pay full price for a full game. And the less-than-hardcore gamers, who refuse to pay full price for a full game. The trouble with the former is how can you truly gauge an acceptable full price for an iOS game? We've all seen some movement on the part of devs to up their price and justify their hard work, but we also see a backlash. The trouble with the latter is that since these people realized they could get new video games without even getting off the toilet, they also want them for free. I know plenty of people who refuse to pay even 99 cents. They want something for nothing. And then they get angry when the free game has IAP. It's like they expect devs to work for free.
    The devs aren't to blame here, they are only responding to the market. And the market is us.
    We, collectively, are encouraging IAP. If a dev releases a game for full price, no one will buy it. If they release it for free, or only a dollar, they may not be able to afford to make new games. In this situation, IAP is the only thing that makes sense.
    Apologies for going off topic, but this whole IAP argument strikes me as stupid.
    We've got to support the creators of the games that we enjoy, and I am enjoying the hell out of this game. It's unique, hilarious, fun, and challenging. And there is no pay wall. It can get grindy, but what's cool is that you can't just camp out and grind the same battles - the rewards diminish over time. This forces you to progress through the game. And I really like that.
    I bought some gold just to show my appreciation to Behold. And if you folks want to see more content in this game, I'd suggest you do the same.
    Thank you devs!

20. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I agree, it's really silly. There ARE examples of bad IAP, but this isn't one. The IAP in this game is like if Nintendo let you buy extra lives after 'Game Over' in Mario Bros.

Unfortunately, I can't buy gold in the Android port, but I'll probably buy this again on iOS to show my support.

On a side note, I had no idea you could add people to your party in the middle of the game until the above comments!