IPad vs Ipad Mini

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JaysUsernam, May 31, 2013.

1. JaysUsernam

JaysUsernam Active Member

Sep 1, 2012
    So, I'm running an Ipad 1 which is essentially done...too many games will not run on it anymore.

So I really am torn, it will be used 85-90%for gaming/xbmc remotes. My first instinct is that the ipad mini is the way to go...it's closer to a portable gaming system etc and just easier on the hands for longer play times. But then I think, smaller screen, no retina and a dated processor might be too many negatives. Just curious, for the dedicated ios gamers out there...mini or biggie and why?

2. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    It depends on your intentions I guess.

As an avid rhythm gamer the normal sized ipad is the only way to go. You just can't get the same ease and precision playing jubeat or rerave with anything smaller. That being said for everything else I'm sure an iPad mini would suffice. It'd be what I'd want if weren't for rhythm games.

3. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Regardless of which you want, wait until October for the new ones. No retina and dated processor on the mini will probably be alleviated. The larger iPad will probably also become lighter and more portable at the same time.

4. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I can't imagine liking a mini over the iPad. But, I have some friends that have a mini that they love, BUT they don't have an iPad. I guess going to an Apple store, or Best Buy and playing with each for a while would be the way to go.
    If you really want the portability - carrying it around all day - that might be another reason, but my ipad goes to school and the office with me, easy to carry around the house, and the larger screen makes it great for everything. True, weight can be an issue for extended (several hours) of holding, but I don't use my ipad like that frequently. It tends to be for 5 -30 minutes throughout the day. No problems with that.

5. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    I have a mini and a full size iPad. I've had the mini for a week and a half, and I've used it more that I used my iPad in over a year and a half. The size makes it so much more comfortable to use and hold. I don't have an issue reading the non retina stuff so I've been doing all of my web browsing on it, although some people actually do so if you're like that either wait for the retina mini or get the full size. Gaming wise, it's an iPad 2 essentially, which is still (mostly) supported. I haven't run into to much lag, although I haven't done *too* much gaming yet.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I have both and for gaming, the mini wins easily. Sure you lose retina resolution, but what's a high resolution game if you cant play it for longer periods of time?

Basically, the mini does everything in terms of gaming, and does it better. Even without retina, there is still a higher pixel density compared to ipad2, which makes the mini look like it has a sharper resolution.

The mini is also the perfect size for reading books.

On the downside, the mini falls short in browsing as the text looks muddy if youve trained your eyes on a retina pad, but its ok if you havent. Comics are also better on the larger pads.

Movies work the same way on both the mini and the bigger pads.

In summary, gaming-wise, ipad mini wins for me.

7. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Hands down the iPad in my opinion (I usually set it down with the smart cover stand up while playing games so holding it isn't an issue for me), but I definitely understand the love for the mini. My advice is, if you are set on buying one, wait until the next iteration which will most likely include retina which is the key feature it is missing right now (after owning 2 retina devices, my eyes can't look at a non-retina device for more than 5 minutes).

8. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    This is good advice. (Unless money is no object.) The way Apple have strategised their device updates, it strikes me as lunacy to even consider buying a new device 6 months or more into the device's life. (Again, unless money is no object.)

9. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Well, I have rerave, and a mini is a hell of a lot better than my previous choice, an iphone 4S.

10. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    It's simple, really. Do you lie your ipad down and view it that way, or do you hold it up? I always hold mine up (even when using a full-sized ipad), so a mini is the only way to go.

I received the original Kindle Fire (which I sold) as a gift, and had an epiphany: I'll only buy a tablet I can comfortably hold up in one hand. I spend most of my time w/my ipad, when I'm home, outside on my patio. A cigarette in one hand and a full sized ipad in the other just doesn't cut it. I might get an ipad 4 specifically for music apps, however.

11. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    True. IF someone is contemplating buying a Mini, it would be best to wait. OTOH, an ipad 4 will probably not decrease much in value when the next iteration is released (original ipads are still 120-150). If I was in a market for a full sized ipad, I wouldn't necessarily wait. Actually, I probably would, just so I could pick up a 64 gig version at a discount. I'll probably get a mini retina when it's released; but I should be able to significantly defray the cost by selling my current one. As long as I don't wait several months after release.

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #12 MidianGTX, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
    This is a weird post if you ask me. I can play my iPad for long periods of time without a problem, what kind of environment do you have to be in where you wouldn't rest it on something, but would still play with an iPad Mini? Standing up?

You might not be too fussed about retina, but it's definitely easier on the eyes, so for reading books I'd go for something that more closely resembles printed text than a fuzzy ol' computer screen every time.

And movies... kinda work the same way, only one makes it a lot smaller. That's not exactly a positive.

So yeah, if you can't handle that little bit of weight and for some reason can't sit down, go small. I suppose if you love games with virtual controls you might need a smaller device too, but it'd be a necessary sacrifice, not an inprovement. For all other games, nothing beats a beautifully large and crisp playing area. From Angry Birds to Frozen Synapse and back, give yourself the freedom to manipulate the screen without ever mistapping, by buying a regular-sized iPad.

And that, ladies and gentlemen... is my case.

13. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    My wife has an ipad 2 and I have a mini. If you want to use it primarily for gaming then there is no contest the mini wins hands down. It almost feels like you are holding a controller. I find the ipad to be a bit too cumbersome for gaming. The mini is so light you almost don't even realize you're holding it. Anyhow, as one of the posts above said, go to the store and try them out. That is the only way to know for yourself.

14. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Since when was stating an opinion considered weird?

Fact is, i have an ipad mini and an ipad3, and have made my own decision and conclusion regarding their uses based on my experience using both devices.

15. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    I have an Ipad2 and a mini. They are both great devices afaic. Complaints about the non-retina res are laughable imho. The screens are gorgeous to my 46 year old eyes that remember gaming at 320x240 resolution on a 17" crt monitor. I'll take the extra performance over retina resolution every time.

Which one of the two is better for gaming really depends on the type of game you are playing. For "controller-intensive" games like platformers and dual stick shooters and such the mini wins. Its just much easier to hold and use when the thumbs are needed. For puzzle games or strategy games like Battle of The Bulge, Ipad2 is a dream.

16. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Wonder if the next iPad will be able to top iPad2. If it won't, I'll probably go for the mini with retina.

17. Prayformojo2

Prayformojo2 Member

May 19, 2010
    I will jump in with my two cents. I recently upgraded from an iPad 1 to the mini and have been thrilled. The size and portability won me over and have me using the device more than I used the iPad 1 (its like Spring 2010 all over again). It will be interesting to see what the new models will look like in the Fall, but I wanted something for this Summer to take on vacation. I read tons of comics on it and have not had too much of a problem with that and all the game I have tried work great. I mostly play board games and while the bigger screen would probably benefit them, the form factor of the mini is outstanding. Coming from an iPad 1, you could easily pick up the current mini and be very pleased with it.

18. JaysUsernam

JaysUsernam Active Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Thanks to all, I really appreciate the input/advice....I think step one is wait till the WDC on June 10th and see what the timeline for the new mini looks like. But truthfully between this thread and many YouTube videos I've been watching it really does seem that the mini is the more COMFORTABLE choice.

19. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Uhmm, the iPad 3/4? If we're talking soley horsepower/framerates, than the 4. But with the Retina screen and wayyyy improved camera the iPad 3 pulls ahead of the 2 easily.

You guys just have no clue what a big deal Retina is until you've experienced it. You'll never, ever go back.

20. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

So the iPad Mini is comparable to iPad 2 in terms of what games it can support? Good to know
    Are there any games that are iPad 3/4 only? How much longer till iPad 2 is no longer supported?