Dungelot [Dungeon crawler]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Pixeye, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    #41 Pixeye, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    Maybe...or maybe not;-) I didnt designed leveling system.
    There are also no classic skills.

Each class have it's own passive abilities and one unique "skill" - but this skills are not permanent - you'll have to find a rune/scroll/glyph ( I dont know yet how it will be shown ) with your skill in order to use it. (One using = one rune).

For example paladin would be able to find "blessing rune" and only by playing paladin you will be able to find it.

All other things also could be found in dungeon/shop and can be used in common by everyone. For example a treasure map, or compass that shows were enemies hide.

About leveling...for each class there are hp and attack rate caps. And thats all. All you got to do is collecting hearts and swords ( that represents your attributes ) and try not to lose them. You may lose them by being killed or getting cursed as an example.

There are different ways to increase your stats: for example by killing ALL mobs on level you'll gain a nice bonus;-)

There is a "sort of" leveling when you collect new armor set. When you collect all pieces of armor set your character will become stronger ( better chances on his passive skills ) and his appearance will change too.

There are 3 sets for each class. MAYBE I'll make some changes in this concept but for sure I wont add classic leveling ( hope so ).

2. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    Hello everyone;-)

New screenshot here;-)

1) I've remade tileset ( made it more cartoonish)
    2) Added new tile type - tough stone wall. You need to use 4 pieces of food to break out it or find a pike .
    3) Exit tile is placed behind locked door. You need to find key to unlock it. A key may be dropped by a mob.
    4) Added "damage numbers" while attack phases.

Of course there are much more improvements that i didn't mentioned;-) I hope to make new video with game process soon.

[​IMG]

Goblin king!!!
    [​IMG]

3. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    Nice :) Looking forward to video

4. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    This looks great!

I'm thinking a zombie cow would say "Baarrrnsssss" ...

Does hitting a potato demon with a fireball make a baked potato (health restore)?

5. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    Hahah! tnx for great idea about baked potato;-) I'll surely add this.
    Btw, more zombie love;-)

[​IMG]

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While it clearly borrows from Desktop Dungeons, I like how it really is its own thing and personally can't wait to see it in action!

7. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    Heh, I looked up desktop dungeons..nice games appositely. But my goal to make game even more easier to play but still deep and challenging, also
    DD originally were designed fot desktops and I believe developers must do hard work to adopt it to mobiles in good way.

Btw;-) little quiz.

I try to figure out how to show enemy stats in better way, so I'll be glad to hear any ideas.

[​IMG]

What's better? to show a simple word that describes threat value or to show hp and attack rate of an enemy?

The second question is it OK for you to make double tap? Right now when you open enemy his stats shown automatically. I want to hide them so first tap on enemy opens his stats and from second tap you perform hit.

8. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Whoa now, don't type that too loudly... last time we had something that borrowed from Desktop Dungeons, qfcdesigns went nuts with the lawyers and a promising game got yanked from the appstore. Funny how that iOS version of DD never materialized once they got that other dev shut down.

Anyway, this game is looking good ;)

9. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I'm not sure what you ran by "opening" an enemy. Is it not possible to have the stats visible all the time?
    I'm a numbers guy and will always prefer numbers to descriptors.
    The feasability of having to double tap to attack depends on how much combat will be taking place. If there's going to be a lot of it, it will get old more quickly. Also, will you be attacking the same creature repeatedly? Perhaps you could tap once to target an enemy then press an attack button x number of times until dead.

10. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer

yes! you tap once to "lock" target and then while "focusing" your enemy you attack him as long as you want in one click.

Right now stats are shown all the time..I just wanted to look is there any other way to show stats and make game screen more "clear" without showing huge number of info all at once.

11. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    Finally) I thought about how to create gui for a long time...I've decided to make it similar to warcraft3;-)

[​IMG]

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Why not, it works. Keeps the clutter off game screen.

13. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Hope to see some videos soon! :)

14. V!3T

V!3T Active Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Canada
    This looks so cool! :) I'm going to stick around in this thread until the release! :D

Up until now I've only seen videos of one stage (maybe I missed some). Is it only one stage then it's done or are there many consecutive "rooms" in a stage?
    I'm digging the art too! Hope to see more updates from this game soon!

15. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer

Tnx!)) About rooms and level stuff.. there will be "floors". First few dungeons will be easy and flat. But later on you ll discover "deep" dungeons. They are going to contain ladders to move between floors. The idea was to make simple camera view - without screen moving.

Also there will be monster dens. Sort of a survival arena. You ll be teleported to a 3x3 room surrounded by monsters. If you kill them all you get a reward and be able to get back on dungeon level. If you die...well) nothing to say here)

Dungeons will contain settings, but we will release them as huge updates for IAPS ( perhaps ), with new setting you ll get a new hero and 1-3 special mobs for this setting. Its something like changing backgrounds in doodle jump.

16. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    Hey everyone;-)

Well, I started to create main menu and character selection menu.
    this is how main menu looks;-) With some strange "neon" glow coming out of nowhere.

A little statistic bar also attached. It shows how much dungeons you've passed, how much monsters you've killed and how much chests you've opened ( there will be 100 chests with artefacts scattered in dungeons ).

[​IMG]

Right now I reduced amount of tiles in dungeon from 42 to 30. This improved dynamics and now it looks better on iphone screen ( bigger cells, easier to touch ). In some ways game reminds Lufia 2 ancient cave.

Some people advised me to go on kickstarter. Dont know yet if it's a good idea).

17. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    looking good! any ETA?

18. V!3T

V!3T Active Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Canada
    So the game will be 100 randomly generated levels, along with 100 chests scattered throughout the floors.

Will character level ups be permanent?
    Is there an "end" to the game or is it somewhat endless?

Great screen by the way! :) I love that random purple-ish neon glow on those rocks! Gives a spooky feeling to it.

19. Pixeye

Pixeye Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Indie developer
    #59 Pixeye, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    Character selection screen;-)

[​IMG]

I wont say for sure, cause first I planned to show game in september, but always something goes wrong;-). I've already registered game in appstore, so right now ~60 days left for me to upload game.

I tried to figure out how to keep game simple and easy to understand. Dunno if it work. On each level there will be one chest. Chest contains an artefact. Artefact give you some power boosts ( hp / attack ). Permanent and forever.
    There will be special menu where you will see your artefacts collection. More over, power of artefacts will affect on any playable character you choose to play. So for example if you play few hours with paladin and want to play with mage you don't have to find same artefacts again. The idea is to find as much artefacts as you can because they make you really strong. You wont pass last boss with little collection. It isn't critical if you wont find some artefacts in one attempt. After game over character returns on first level but much more stronger and with better chances to grab things you missed in previous attempt. As levels are random generated and mechanics are very simple there are no really difference between 1 level and 50 level. (Different balance numbers for enemies and any gameplay chances )

"level ups" will be permanent. As there are no EXP, you will buy your level ups;-)) Cash in game is sort of your experience.

There are no ending. But you could find artefacts only on first 100 levels. Also you will stand against main boss at the end of 100 level. This is a game goal for achievement, after this player can continue playing to get better scores for leaderboard.

20. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Okay, I had no knowledge or awareness of this game prior, but after seeing it pop up on the upcoming thread for games and reading through, I have to say that this is getting added to my list of games to watch and potentially buy! It looks really "nifty" and something about it just jives right with me! Hope to see it soon on the App Store! Here's hoping it is universal!