Location-based Leaderboards

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by redpanda33, Jan 9, 2013.

1. redpanda33

redpanda33 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Decatur GA
    I've recently discovered Phoenix HD and it is truly a great shmup. But, the feature that keeps me coming back so much is the location-based leaderboard. I love this feature! It's like walking in to someone else's arcade and beating their high score when I go to other areas. What are some other good games that utilize this feature?

Thanks!

2. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Woohoo, it's always nice to see when our hard work is appreciated :)

I can tell you that these location based Leaderboards are not an easy thing to make and Apple does not provide a service of this kind. We built them from the ground up and have been improving them since they launched in october 2010 with the original Phoenix. It's great to see you like them :)

We have yet to find games that do location based scoring on this level, which is a shame for such a cool feature. So, we're also interested to see if someone knows of any similar systems.

3. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    QatQi has different leaderboards for the world, your country, state, city, and zip code. It's one of my favorite word games, even without the location based leaderboards!

4. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Thanks for that one @sweetdiss!

5. redpanda33

May 9, 2012
    Decatur GA
    One of the greatest thing about TA is having a dev of one of my favorite games respond to my question! It is strange that it is a difficult feature to add, but I'm so glad you did! Are you guys working on anything new by any chance?

Thank you for this! I'm going to try it out now. Shmups are more my game, but I'll give a word game a spin too!

6. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Always, though not everything revolves around Location-based Leaderboards :)

7. redpanda33

May 9, 2012
    Decatur GA
    Oh that's fine. I'm just happy to know you guys have more coming! :D