Turn-Based Mage Duel Game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by daveyoung, Jul 3, 2009.

1. daveyoung

daveyoung Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    #1 daveyoung, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
    Coming this month!
    While working on the effects and spell system for CastleGuard2, I created a mini game in which to test the system. I've posted a little about my design process already, I decided to make it its own little game.

The main game modes are PvP Head to Head (Duel someone else by passing the device back and forth), Player vs AI, and PvP Online.

Here is a little teaser video of a duel in progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBR_eFKuEa0

I still have a ways to go in creating scenery, a nice looking interface, and adding in the lingering effects system, but it's taking shape nicely! It should be done this month (July).

Right now it's a pretty simple and strategic system: select Offensive/Defensive/Other, the type of action, and then most actions can be modified. You may want to Magnify the results, prolong the results for an effect that lasts several rounds (DOT), or delay the effect for later. You tap an option once to see its description (and how much energy it uses) and again to confirm the selection. You can cancel your action sequence and start over, but the timer keeps counting down. You get one new energy per turn, and can enhance that in a number of ways.

You can build up your energy, steal energy from the other player, taunt him, and of course die in many ways :)
    I've created a time limit per turn to avoid the waiting game on the other end.

It's been a lot of fun to build, I'm hoping my online multiplayer code is also ready by the time I'm finished with the game itself. I've created a nice online framework but it needs a lot of polish to be ready for the public to bang on. I am the only developer, as always!

2. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    #2 Tavoss, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
    Wow this looks really cool, i like it alot!

If you made it so you can have customizable characters (i.e what they wear) it'd be really cool for online!

Different spellbooks would be cool! I.e Fire/frost/earth/wind... the usual!

Definatly take a look at the 'arenas' and make the character movement around the arena more dynamic!

This game looks awesome, I cant wait to see how it turns out!!

EDIT:

Whats i'd also love to see actually, to add some 'twitch skill' into the game. Use the touch interface to draw spell runes to succesfully cast the spell! want to magnify the spell, then you have to draw that rune as well! You have a time limit in which to cast the spell else it fails and it skips your turn. The more powerful the spell, the more complicated the rune or runes!!! Thats would make it a must buy for me!

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Diggin' the concept, really am. Reminds me a bit of Yu-Gi-Oh, when I played it on the DS, except no cards. So, a couple questions.

1) Is the game gonna adapt any RPG elements? Leveling, point distribution to strengthen stats, upgrades, new abilities? Would made multiplayer more interesting, not knowing what your gonna be going up against the next match.

2) Are those the actual graphics? They look ridiculously polished detailed and smooth for an iPhone game, kinda making me worry that it's only because it's leeching from the computer's processing power. Console me and tell me it ain't so :(

4. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    Here are some on-device pics

Tavoss, I experimented with a gesture-based casting system early this year but I am not sure I am going to add it to the gameplay soon, there are other features I'd like to implement first, like some player persistence /stats/ leveling. I would literally walk around the park making spell symbols with my hands when I was prototyping it... I wonder if I still have any pics of it.

That video was shot from my development environment, which is, of course, a PC. While certain things will look better and framerates are always higher on a PC, I am not using any special shaders or anything when I dev for the iPhone, so the experience is mostly the same. Of course, smaller screen, and no antialiasing on the device. I think it looks awesome on the device, though it is darker and needs more light in the scenes.

Here are a bunch of sequential shots from a single test duel I did this morning on he device itself.
    I am developing a turn based framework here that seems like it's going to be good for a CCG style game as well.

First, a link to the album itself:
    http://daveyounggames.com/?page_id=165

And then, some pics!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. cookiemonster

cookiemonster Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    this game has mass potential i think. the UI needs a little help tho imho.fancy it up and make it look pretty and i think youll get a lot more interest...

6. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    shame about the gesture casting, but if it doesnt work, then it doesnt work! If you need a beta tester let me know

And yes, the UI def needs snazzing up!

7. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Hi Dave,

Awesome work. I see you've changed the animation of the spell projectile and added the same flaming effect to it :D

Can't wait for the final product. I think polish and the UI is definitely as important as the game itself :)

8. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    The spells look great, and to agree with everyone else, this game does have mass potential. Will this be apart of Castlegaurd2 or will it be a whole seperate game?

9. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    This is early work-in-progress, I'm doing something a little different and talking about it along the way to help me get some reactions and feedback. I will be adding some major polish to the menus and UI sometime before release. This is early development prototype.

Q: Will this be apart of Castleguard2 or will it be a whole seperate game?
    A: Both: It's a new additional game, and the spell system itself was developed for CastleGuard2.

10. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    On second thought, giving this gesture support wouldn't hurt anybody. People could still use the menus, but maybe using the runes alone would give you bonuses!

Decided, I'm adding gestures in.

11. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Awesome :D

12. Tavoss

Tavoss Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    You mean gesture spell casting? If you say yes, I'll officially want to have your babies and want a beta spot!!! I've been wanting a game like this forever lol!!Hell, I'll help in whatever way you need for this game! Story, UI design, ANYTHING!!

13. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    I do mean gesture casting. I personally think it rules, and if it's optional, it won't hurt the folks who don't like it :) I'll keep everyone posted with updates :)

14. daveyoung

Mar 15, 2009
    Tech Entrepreneur
    New Bedford, MA
    So far so good. I've finished adding in what hopefully will pass for a gesture recognition system, and then I will attempt to add some actual gestures in there for it to recognize. I have a nice backup plan in case pure gestures fail too!