Pixel Defenders Puzzle (by Gary Whittle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Dec 15, 2012.

1. pheraph

pheraph Active Member

Dec 24, 2010
    But don't stop the music- or the podcast-app from playing in the background. Currently I can mute the ingame-sounds and listen to my podcasts (which is fine).

2. sortvind

sortvind Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    great concept, just to bad the attack is way to complex.
    5 clicks for a action? it should be hold the character and release on enemy target to attack, it would give the game much better flow!

3. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    4, isn't it?

1) tap unit
    2) tap action
    3) tap target
    4) confirm target

I've been known to criticize games for requiring too many clicks, but it doesn't bother me here. I do think one of the taps (the action button) could be easily eliminated (simply select a unit, then select the enemy, or tap the white area to cancel). If placing units required multiple taps it would be a big problem, but I an live with this.

I've played eight levels so far. Aside from wishing there were a theme or story, I'm enjoying this so far. Level 7 started to get a bit hairy, with the support resetting the timer, but since the enemies (the ones that petrify your units) never attack the VIP, it wasn't really a big deal.

4. Tyra

Tyra Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Illustration & Graphic Designs
    Germany
    I wish there is a undo button. ;)

5. formulae

formulae Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Fair comment! I'd actually like to try and implement it the way you describe as an alternate method of attacking - I agree it would improve the flow.

It couldn't replace the current method as the information window describing the Defenders' actions is needed!

6. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    If you like good puzzle games, light RPGs and pixel art, Pixel Defenders is definitely for you. :p

It is a really amazing combination of RPG and Triple Town! I like the pace of the game as you progress with the levels. :rolleyes:

A minor design improvement: I would change the aspect of certain units to see clearly the progression of them. I mean, the first mage you get is an old guy with white beard. You can see it like a badass, but when you level it up, you get another one with black beard! That doesn't seem like an upgrade! :p It is indeed in the game context, but with a first look you can get confused, and that is a bad thing. Puzzle games are really visuals, and like with Triple Town you can easily see that a tree is better than a bush, here the difference is not so clear. Of course this is just a minor flaw with some units, but I suggest to revisit the upgrades of the units to make them more easily recognizable. :)

Pacific endless mode is cool, but I would agree too on adding a different endless mode (not pacific) with enemies hordes with difficult progression. That seem like fun! I would suggest not to discard the actual endless mode, just add another one! :eek:

Also, as Lordgek said, I think the use of extra stuff of the shop should be limited in every game for a real competition. :confused:

What I said, this game is a nice surprise and a really good addition to every game puzzle lover. It is just 99 cents, but it could easily be $3.

7. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I didn't like triple town at all it got deleted instantly. I love anything with a fantasy theme or rpg elements. So far I've played the tutorial and 5 of the levels.

I'm really enjoying the game and glad I made the purchase. Everyone has already mentioned most things althought I agree with endless mode needing to change to be more like the game levels instead.

There's so much you can do with this game which is already great, it'll be easy to add new levels or different goals on levels. Even a few new charachter types and enemies in the future.

But anyway good job on the game it is very good no problems or bugs for me. A little info on getting a reward from a level would be appreciated, sometimes I like to build up more than I need when I can already kill the enemies but don't want to use too many turns and miss out.

8. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Best tutorial :) love the game

9. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Agreed, but as I mentioned above, the action button is superfluous. If you didn't shift the screen upward when tapping on a defender, you could simply tap the unit you wanted to use then your target as you do now.

I'd like to suggest matching the color of units action points to their base color (green units would have green AP, etc) for easier identification. I actually played through 8 levels before noticing that the backgrounds of the units were shaded.

10. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I have no idea why people mention attacking being complex it's pretty simple and helps make sure you don't make a mistake.

My main request so far would be an undo button even if it only undoes your last 1 turn.

11. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    You can't undo in this kind of games, it would be cheating to know what is going to be your next pixel.

12. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    Not currently, I'll look into adding it though!

13. themostunclean

themostunclean Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Love the game. Just the right amount of challenge. Some games you can 3-star all the way through in your sleep, some ramp up difficulty too quick or throw you a cheap curveball, PixDef mixes things up just right. The puzzle levels are a nice break from the regular ones.

Definitely need a "undo last move" button like others have said. Especially since one bad move can so drastically screw up your chances of upgrading the characters.

14. nuutsch

nuutsch Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    This game is ####in awesome!
    Buy it, buy it, buy it :)

Undo Button? +1!!

15. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    Seems like a lot of you would like an undo! It's something I considered but never implemented.

Would you rather it were an additional Stock Item, or each level allows (for example) 3 undos?

16. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Any idea how long before iphone 5 support would be added?

17. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    In the next update - January - it will utilize the whole screen on the iPhone 5 :)

18. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Wow you are on it!

19. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I would like to puchase additional levels/content in a future update.

20. sanitymops

sanitymops Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    This is such a good game! It is basically a deeper version of Triple Town and allows you to fight off waves of enemies with your increasingly stronger units - giving the match three more of a purpose than in similar games. Really loving the music too!