Cool picture from our upcoming game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by doughogg, Apr 28, 2009.

1. doughogg

doughogg Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Mac Consultant, Research and Promotion Director
    Los Angeles
    #1 doughogg, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
    Hi,

I wanted to post this picture from our upcoming game. We searched high and low for a suitable picture and couldn't find one, so our artist created this from scratch. Personally I am impressed. what do you think?

[​IMG]

Sorry not to give more details about the game, but our CEO (my son) is worried about our game being copied. He and the other developer are both robotics engineers/programmers and they have come up with something that is unique at this point but could be duplicated once it is seen. We will have details as soon as the game is on iTunes which hopefully be in a few weeks. In the meantime, I hope you don't mind my posting the above picture.

:)

Doug Hogg
    http://www.toykite.com

2. Therob

Therob New Member

Apr 20, 2009
    I can't wait to see what the game is like. The picture looks amazing.

3. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Cool pic! Cant wait to know more about the game..

Maybe at least tell us what kind of game it will be? Arcade / Shooter / Adventure?

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I just did my guess for what the game might by on the blog. I hope I'm close!

5. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Wow that picture is amazing! Good Job!

6. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Elephant in the room question: what type of game is it?

7. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    #7 le'deuche123, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
    Uhmm quick question,....why are ALL the swords upside down?? Please fix that before release. No offense but it looks ridiculous.

[​IMG]

Here is a real Nihonto, being displayed in a way where the cutting edge will not be damaged, ie. facing up.

8. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    wow, you have a talented artist. even though its just a still image, its wonderfully done

9. doughogg

Apr 28, 2009
    Los Angeles
    #9 doughogg, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
    Argh. You are right.

After searching around the internet, I found that the only Japanese sword displayed with the blade down is a "Tachi" sword as discussed here: http://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/pdf/arms.pdf. However our swords are clearly not Tachi swords, which are curved more, so our swords should be facing blade up.

To be fair to our artist, I did see some Samurai swords displayed with the blades down, but that is not the custom.

We are rushing to send our game to Apple this week, so to be honest, I do not think our artist will be able to make the change before the release. He has started another huge project for another group.

However I will work on getting this corrected.

Thank you for taking the time to point this out.

Doug Hogg

10. moonlight42

moonlight42 New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Very impressive pic... can't wait to see the finished game! :D

11. doughogg

Apr 28, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for your interest.

We are actually holding a "Guess Our Game" contest at our web site (for iTunes Gift Certificates) which is another reason that I don't want to give away too much info in this forum. However I would like to say that the picture above will be a still shot in the game, not a 3D game environment. (I wish we did have that room as a 3D environment! Maybe a future game.)

So no, our game is not a first person "shooter", but it is unlike any other game out there in a rather remarkable way. I do not think that I am exaggerating when I say that it is a ground-breaking game. We have had our two programmers working on it since October, 2008, but part of that time involved learning to program the iPhone which is quite different from a robot.

We will be releasing more hints as part of this thread in the next few days as we get closer to submitting it to Apple. When it is finally released, I will check back here to see if you think the game lives up to the description "ground-breaking" and if you like it.

Thanks again for your questions and I am sorry once again to be vague. I promise to post full details here asap.

Doug Hogg

12. mlady

mlady Member

Apr 27, 2009
    The pic is really nice... but I think it'll be a puzzle game. With nice graphics thou.

13. The picture looks amazing other than the blades the wrong way round as already pointed out. Excellent quality. My guess is some kind of combat game, hence the weapons.

Ideally, you could have uploaded a smaller resolution version of the picture for viewing here, as I have to scroll up and down to see it all. Not ideal for a forum post. Let's face it, you're not going to see all that detail when its on the device anyway are you?

14. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Sorry if I sounded rude....the pic looks great, but like you said, I would try to correct the sword orientation at some point. All in all the weapons look immpressive, especially the yari.

15. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    So...sword fight game?
    Sounds cool.

16. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    OH my goodness,

Your artist is so talented! That picture is so beautiful, it could be an Asian Monet painting! I'm really impressed with that picture, I can't draw for my life. Can't wait to see what type of game this is, looks really, really interesting and groundbreaking.

17. hirschy75

hirschy75 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Ya I'm guessing some sort of kick@ss fighting game...good luck and looks great

18. bojack13

bojack13 Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Way too vague, all you can say is that at least one level will involve architecture and weapons from Feudal Japan. It could still be anything from any genre from puzzle to action to fighting to adventure (Myst).

I hope it's a fighting or action game with a unique combat system that involves using the touch screen for attacks and defense. That sort of thing comes to mind when you say "ground breaking" but could be easily copied and when you show a screenshot that could possibly emphasise weapons.

But that sounds a little too good to be true so it's probably another puzzle game.

19. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    All those things that your programers are really high end stuff.

Most of it probably uses wireless configuration?

Anyways we all know that a StarWars Lightsaber app has come out where you use the accelerometer to swing the lightsaber.

What if they implemented that here and created a sort-of "sword-fighting" game where you swing the iPhone around to block/attack a computer OR, if they are really impressive, a human.

All the clues fit in perfectly with this idea, it is unique, probably if someone thinks of it first they will be able to do it, the swords were something that were much debated in TouchArcade and are/might be important.

This would also explain the tutorials and stuff needed. I REALLY hope this is right as it is my dream as a kid to have a game like this!

I dunno, but if they create a game like I think they will where you use the iPhone as a sword, I'd pay $9.99 for it!

^^^ That's what I guessed on their website... If you think about it it makes sense!

20. doughogg

Apr 28, 2009
    Los Angeles
    #20 doughogg, May 2, 2009
    Last edited: May 2, 2009
    Another photo from our game

Everyone in our group really appreciates your responses to our posts and the warm welcome that we have received here.

We plan on submitting our game to Apple on Monday. We will then have to wait for Apple's approval which I hear can take anywhere from a few days to a few months if there are things that have to be changed.

We are also working on a version for iPhone software 3.0 for Apple's iPhone software contest.

Here is another picture from our game. (I made an error in the title for this post. It is not a photo. It is another drawing by the same artist who created the Dojo.)

[​IMG]

If you have an idea, feel free to enter our "Guess Our Game" contest at http://www.toykite.com. Prizes will be iTunes Gift Certificates.

Doug Hogg