Universal Sage Fusion (by Kidalang)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Nov 1, 2012.

1. ducksFANjason

ducksFANjason Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    E-Discovery data technician
    Southern California
    #21 ducksFANjason, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
    Alright, I've spent a bit of time with the game (enough to finish the intro story/tutorial) and here's my verdict so far:

For those who want a quick sentence - the game seems pretty legit and fun. I can't speak towards length of the game or how complex it gets obviously, because I've only been able to spend about 30 minutes with it but I like what I see so far.

Some features: The game has auto-rotate enabled, and multi-tasking as well (so you can switch out of the app and come back and you won't lose your progress). That's a good start in my book. The only strange feature to me is a lack of a start-screen (or menu at the app start-up). You'll see the company splash logo screen, and then the game will begin immediately. If you've already played and are resuming, the game will auto-load your progress.

You'll start with a pretty good tutorial that will explain the basics of battle and I have to say that it does a good job of informing the player. Battle is turn-based and reminds me a bit of the Mario & Luigi games from game boy advance. Each action you choose uses AP (action points) and then as it's performed, there is a time-based tapping mechanic that is used to break an enemy's defense and add more damage if you pull it off successfully. It will also recover some AP for you. Similarly, when enemies attack, you use the same time-based tap mechanic to defend and recover AP. It's fun, and I enjoy it, but don't expect a lot of diversity in it. It's a simple "tap the shield icon above the character at the right time" mechanic that's used for attacking or defending - and it's the same for all characters.

There is an adventure element to the game in which you "point and click" to explore the areas you're in. There also appear to be puzzles you'll need to solve in these adventure segments of the game (though I've only come across 1 so far but I haven't played much at all). Also, I haven't found any items in the adventure segments yet, as seems to be common in most adventure games. It appears to just be a tap to move mechanic with some puzzle solving.

Text is a mixed bag for me. I've noticed a slight bit of iffy writing - incorrect grammer or awkward dialogue where the characters reveal more background story in a way that feels unnatural, but I likely only noticed it because I was wary of that from reading the app's description. Also, as a Journalism major and Creative Writing minor, I'm a stickler for awkward writing. For the most part, the game has decent writing with few typos and probably won't bother most folks.

I haven't gotten far enough yet to determine if there is an ability tree that will open up or anything, but that's doubtful as there is no "LVL" associated with any characters that I can see and the game didn't indicate that it was passing out experience points after battles.

There is a basic options menu in-game that lets you see your items, change the text speed, and choose between saving, loading, or creating a new game.

I don't see any IAPs anywhere or any option for a store. I also can't speak to whether this is iphone 5 optimized as I'm still running a 4s.

That's about it. Let me know if anyone has any other specific questions!

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Sounds like Battleloot Adventures to me which is a good thing, but the lack of "level progression" or anything of the sort (skill progression, etc.) is holding me back from diving in.

Thanks for laying it out for us.

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Thanks for your conclusion, really appeciated!
    Since it's a rather rare and unusual setting, I'll take the plunge and a break from the classic fantasy stuff. Minor writing mistakes or botched grammar is no prob since English isn't my native tongue.

And about the price and sale: look at Kemco. Their games are usually priced at $6.99.

4. ducksFANjason

Jun 28, 2012
    Southern California
    You're welcome! And that's a good point about the Kemco games, I've bought every one of them lol

5. Trev1

Trev1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Chef
    NYC/CT...USA
    Thanks ducks!

It's people like you that keep this forum going and strong, I think I'll that the plunge based on your taste and additude overall toward the game..

:)

6. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Hey guys, tell me if it's an RPG please. If it is, i will dive in, even if im not sure about having no character progression.

7. ducksFANjason

Jun 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Well thanks for the praise, I'm glad I could help!

8. ducksFANjason

Jun 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Hmmm... Without the character progression (levelling up and such) I'm inclined to say no, I wouldn't consider it an RPG. I'd probably classify it more as an adventure game that utilizes turn-based RPG battle mechanics.

And FYI everyone, you do find objects during adventure scenes, you just don't activate the item yourself. It's done automatically as long as it's in your inventory.

9. Superatomic

Superatomic Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Haven't bought it yet ... I'm still on the fence due to the descriptions so far.. Hmmmm. Sounds a little odd actually and that's not a bad thing but...

10. robbmx77

robbmx77 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    I would like to see a video of the gameplay before buying it. I'm very tempted to tap the buy button ... Tic... Toc... Tic... Toc...

11. duncanedi

duncanedi Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    #31 duncanedi, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
    Hello Ducks...do you mind a question? The characters... they don't have special powers or skills? Are all the same on the battles?

thanks!!

EDIT: I just asked the same question to the devs.. .let's see if they are there :)

12. robbmx77

robbmx77 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Ok. I'm downloading as I type the curiosity is killing me. Looks promising

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    i still havent picked this up because of the un-RPG elements in the game.

14. duncanedi

Oct 9, 2010
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    The devs reply to me about the rpg elements... there are no classes or skills to level... there are different skills but they are kinda automatic to pick...

I ask them about how long is the game and didn't get a direct answer... but they said "its not long by RPG standars" and "on the other side most rpg are long because they make you to grind for hours to get it done" ...

Anyone can give a hint about it here? I mean, I don't mind if is short but not super short... :)

15. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I'm hinting supershort from the way he said it.i played final fantasy never grinded four "hours" to "get it done" ill just wait for this to go free.

16. robbmx77

robbmx77 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    I bought it and played the first part.
    The description of the game in the App Store is basically the introduction of the game , you start the game based on that description giving you the introduction of 2 characters and a 3rd one in the middle of your 3rd fight.
    You move around by touching the place you want to move, there are some puzzles and fights appear as the story develops. Game is heavily driven by story like an adventure game.
    Battle system is turn based , each character has a set of attacks that require AP ( action points ) each turn. You earn some AP at every turn but if you don't have enough AP you would have to skip a turn to accumulate some . You can use items during battle but I don't know how to get them yet ( I haven't played enough).
    Game seems good enough if you're an RPG fan and you already played most of the jrpg's out there in the App Store .

17. duncanedi

Oct 9, 2010
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Hello Robbmx77 ... How long to get there? I really really don't want to buy a game and play it for 2 hours and finish it :)

18. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Thanks for the impression. But as ExactPsience, I would really like to know if there is any kind of character progression. Even if it is just skills appearing along a pre-calculated tree. Any hint on experience, level, or story-driven evolutions?

And, from what you played; are the fights fun, or pretty mechanical?

19. skipdaddy

skipdaddy Member

Jun 8, 2012
    I was kind of skeptical when I bought the game but in my opinion this is one hell of an iOS rpg. Reminding me of a FF game. When the story ended I was dying for more. It took me a few hours of straight playing to beat it so you get your money's worth. I will say that the combat is not that exciting, there is a guard system that you have to do to beat enemies.

20. robbmx77

robbmx77 Member

Aug 15, 2012
    So far I've played about the first 20min. I haven't seen any stats of character progression there's this weird feeling on the battle system kind of like a mixture of final fantasy and legend of dragoon where you have to tap the attack or defend icon just in the right time to make your attack/defend more accurate.