How much does it cost to replace Ipod Touch screen?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by filipjablan, Nov 28, 2012.

1. filipjablan

filipjablan Member

Jul 21, 2012
    As you can see from the thread name,I want to replace Ipod Touch screen,which I broke ''accidentally''(threw the ipod on the floor and the screen shattered yay :(

Also since I'm a DIY guy,should I decide to repair it by myself,how much could I save?

What can I do...I tend to break pretty much everything that has a screen(I even broke a monitor once ''accidentally'' :D

You guys probably get the point that I'm kinda short tempered...

BTW,don't tell me that I'm some kind of a spoiled brat!
    Every tech thing I own,I bought myself with my own money...

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well i accidentally broke my ipod screen one week after buying it ! Somehow the Apple centre (In Manchester, England) replaced it free of charge - for that i'm ever so grateful !

IF your one year free warranty has expired its worth looking on google for local companies who deal with Apple repairs.

Once the warranty has ended i found Apples prices very high. I used my ipod touch so much the 'home button' got stuck, looked at various ways to fix this but didnt work. Apple were quoting me £130 as they said they had to smash the screen to get to it (?!), found a company online in England who could do it for £30, you dont smash the glass at all.

Anyway £30 later and 5 days later i received my ipod touch back, was perfect.

If i was you if your warranty has obviously expired i would find a company in your country where you can send it off for a repair, the company i used dealt with broken screens.

If you want to do it yourself theres quite a few good youtube videos showing you how to do this so it 'may' be worth giving it a go.

Good luck !

3. filipjablan

filipjablan Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Well,thank you for your advice,but i'll order parts online,and change them myself.

BTW,charging someone 30 pounds for a simple home button replacement is way too much especialy because it's an easy job that can be done in 15-20 minutes

4. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Not sure, but when my iPod got CRUSHED, I called Apple and they said they'd give me a whole new one (my warranty hasn't expired) for $100, but it sounds like you're in a totally different situation.

5. Dropped my iphone 4 once, screen broke. Cost me $80 to get it fixed at an iphone repair shop. Itouch screen may be cheaper though.

6. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Called Apple a couple of weeks ago, and they said the same thing to me. My youngest dropped her iPod a while back, and we were going to get it fixed for XMAS. At the mall here, they were going to charge us $175 for a new screen. And still, with prices for iPods on craigslist still pretty high (even for a 4th gen) we figured getting an entirely new device from Apple for the $100 would be the best way to go.

I guess it would be a different situation if it was... say... my device... and I hadn't been preparing to get rid of it for the last couple months, and had a massive amount of save files and other irreplaceable things on the device. But the pricing is still pretty close to total replacement, especially if you have a 32GB or smaller device.

Here's pricing on Apple's page ;
    http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&viewlocale=en_US&geo=United_States&product=ipod&select=REPAIR_PRICING

7. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    The most that's happen to my device is one little scratch and I hate it. :)