iPhone Worlds of Magic - A new classic 4X fantasy game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by doomtrader, Apr 15, 2013.

1. doomtrader

doomtrader Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2013
    game developer
    Poland
    Hi

I’m a member of Wastelands Interactive team, an independent game developer. We are a team of dedicated people with experience in creating strategy wargames. We are currently working on our new game called Worlds of Magic which we would like to become a true spiritual successor to Master of Magic.

[​IMG]

The main features of the game are:
    Master of Magic Spiritual Successor: After waiting more than a decade for a true Master of Magic successor, we decided to create one.
    D20 System: Units, Spells, and Heroes will all draw from the D20 OGL rule set during tactical battles.
    Deep 4X Playability: Explore, exploit, expand and exterminate in a world of magic, diplomacy, and war.
    Hero Units: Recruit powerful, artifact wielding heroes to lead your forces into battle.
    Twelve Spell Circles: Focus on depth in a single school, or gain the ability to cast incredibly diverse spells.
    Unique Races: Each race offers the ability to create exclusive units, with their own strengths and weaknesses. The factions also play differently allowing players to choose a faction based on their play style.
    Settle Powerful Cities: Construct buildings, raise crops, and control production in order to create and support powerful armies.
    Multiple Victory Conditions: War is not the only way to conquer the world; make treaties, establish trade routes or use peace as a tool for domination.
    Procedurally Generated Universe: Each game can be different. The entire universe is created procedurally using a seed that can be random or specified by the player.
    Multiple Planes of Existence: Explore and conquer seven different planes of existence ranging from the Prime Material Plane, which is much like Earth, to the elemental planes that course with pure elemental energies. Find new creatures and new lands for expansion in these unexplored realms.

Recently we have launched a Kickstarter campaign, which we are planning to help us speed up the development process of the game.
    If the above sounds interesting for you, and you would like to get some more info what we are doing please visit our KS page:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/304725524/worlds-of-magic-a-new-classic-4x-fantasy-game
    We are hoping you will let your friends know about the project and back us to make this game.

You can also take a look at short gameplay video here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBI90P0RO_s

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Woaly crap! This. Sounds. Incredible. I can't watch the vid ATM (at work)... But I'm already beaming with excitement!

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
  4. Thomas Davie

Thomas Davie Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Simple question; will this game have a random map generator? This might seem rude of me (and I apologize if so), but I am not interested in the game unless this feature is there.

thanks

Tom

(btw, it looks *very* good)

5. NeilN

NeilN Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2012
    From the Kickstarter page:

6. Wastelander_WoM

Apr 20, 2013
    Thank you for your kind words!

I'm another member os WI and responsible for WoM, so I will be happy to answer as many questions as you could have!

In the meantime, I would like to share with you a new dev-video showing the evolution of the battle boards. Take a look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BqojQT8M4Kw

This is the current pre-alpha stage of development, in case you haven't seen it :).

http://myworldsofmagic.com/images/screen_shots/Worlds_of_Magic_prealpha_13_31_03_002.png

Bye!

7. Wastelander_WoM

Apr 20, 2013
  8. Nice... Looking forward to this...

9. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    It's been well over 10 years since MOM, IIRC.

There was a kinda clunky, kinda awesome spiritual successor published by Sierra Interactive...I forget the name though I know I own it.

Still, a "true" follow up has me salivating. I'll be following this one (unless I forget about it like usual).

What I want more than ANYTHING is a remake (or spiritual successor that DOESN'T DUMB DOWN!) of Darklands.

Though that would probably tale a small fortune; I've given up hope.

10. Wastelander_WoM

Apr 20, 2013
    :D

Try not to forget that, we have a lot to do!

Well, I am incredibly happy to announce that we have reached our base goal, so the minimum funding for development is now guaranteed! That's BIG THANKS to all of you guys. Now we are trying to hit some stretch goals, and make sure that the game will be released with as much content as possible.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/304725524/worlds-of-magic-a-new-classic-4x-fantasy-game/posts/

Also, I take the occassion to tell you too that Draconian will be the 5th faction for Worlds of Magic, as the community have decided. Here you can find some art from George Purdy, you know, the creative director and former Master of Magic - Master of Orion designer :).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

See you soon,and thanks again!

11. Wastelander_WoM

Apr 20, 2013
    Hi there!

Today we can say we surpassed the 35K GBP stretch goal! So the seven faction is a reality too, soon we will ask the community (aka YOU) about what faction will be the next . Also, now it is possible to pledge via PayPal. Of course paypal pledges will count for the new stretch goals!

http://store.esellerate.net/s.aspx?s=STR2943433056

12. doomtrader

Apr 15, 2013
    game developer
    Poland
    Hello All.

We have broke the 40k stretch goal tonight, and with 29 hours left we can try to hit the 45k, which is additional race and Linux and Mac version available at the release date.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/304725524/worlds-of-magic-a-new-classic-4x-fantasy-game
    Also reaching this stretch goal means that the Android and iOS versions will be available six months earlier which should mean July 2014

Thanks for your support, spreading the word and for backing us.
    You can still give us a hand, and help making this game greater.

13. Game.PN

Game.PN Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Going to the prison called "School"
    Earth,Milky Way
    Is this really on ipad?

14. doomtrader

Apr 15, 2013
    game developer
    Poland
    Not yet, but it will be.

15. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Big thumbs up from here! Definitely excited ;)
    Reminds me to find my good old MOM copy...

16. doomtrader

Apr 15, 2013
    game developer
    Poland
  17. JEMelby

JEMelby Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Can we get an update? I see from the developer's page that the game went into Alpha in May. It looks like a great execution, and the type of genre game that is missing from the App Store. It WILL be on the App Store, won't it? I noted in the OP that this was to be an iPad game, but the developers site never specified.