Mass Effect--EA shows how to make a IOS game based on touchscreen

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by klarence, Apr 17, 2012.

1. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    #1 klarence, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
    After the sucess of Dead Space IOS , EA did another great example again.
    Nothing Mass Effect IOS could come close to Mass Effect console except for graphics and control.
    Well, what I want to praise about is the control, I won't say it's better than a controller with button and dual analogs, but it's something new and innovative.
    Unlike the shooting games of gameloft, there is no gyroscope, so we can enjoy the game anywhere we want as long as we can hold the device.
    Tap to aim, tap to quit aiming. It's so intuitive and accessable, once you play the game for half a hour, familiar with the control setting, you won't tap the "wrong buttons".
    It works better than virtual buttons and most suitable to touchscreen. There are some other great examples I know: crazy hedgy, chop chop caveman, battle heart, order & chaos online, finger shot rpg, Waking Mars and mirror's edge.
    But I won't say infinity blade.

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    You're talking about the new updated controls, right? Cause the others got bashed... So this is like the first positive feedback from the old controls that I hear.

3. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

1. The graphics of Mass Effect on iOS aren't nearly as good as on consoles. If you think they are you should probably play any of the Mass Effect games on Consoles/PC.
    2. You know, you can (and probably should) turn the gyroscope off in gamelofs FPSs.
    3. Seriously, the (old) controlls for Mass Effect are horrible (I haven't tryed the update, but we are talking about the original controlls here). Even if they worked correctly and the game would do what you want it to do these controlls wouldn't be a replacement for virtual buttons and sticks in all games. Have fun inventing a controll scheme like this (without any buttons or sticks!) that lets you sprint (in addition to walking and running), throw and/or detonate grenades and other gadgets (like C4), shoot while aiming down the sight of the gun or fire from the hip and other stuff like that.

4. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    well, Der-Kleine. I have some points here
    1. The console has much better environment and highly polished. But in terms of graphics quality, it's at least feels really close, not as good as.
    2.Turn off the gyroscope would affects gameplay, which pretty annoying.:(
    3.I will talk about this at my next reply.

Attached Files:

5. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    #5 klarence, Apr 17, 2012
    Yes, what I'm talking about is the old controls, it's really enjoyable to me.
    At first, it's diffcult and frustrating, the enemys came surrond me and I can't move to somewhere as I want.
    But that's not bad, once I familar with the controls, it works great. And that's why I play the game.
    Just do this, play Mass Effect console for 20 mins, and then play COD 20 mins and then to play Splinter Cell. You will easily be confused, can't remember the right button you want and find the controls of them are horrible too.
    They are all great games, so people are willing to learn the controls of them. Same thing works for Mass Effect IOS old controls too in my eyes.
    People usually don't give mobile platforms the same patience and even prejudice on it.
    Which I say is the gameloft got the most hurt from the unfairness. I just got so much fun from NOVA 2 and --if some people don't mind the touch control and it's the apple's fault instead of gameloft's--the cost performance of the game is better than any other platforms in this genre although it's unoriginal.

6. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    I prefer the new controls but I must say that the old setup worked for me.

It just kinda changed the type of game ME: I was to me, it resembled something akin to Infinity Blade or any other of the on rails, graphic intensive and grind-imperative games that have formed practically a genre on iOS and which I really dig, I played it in short bursts mainly to get intel for ME 3.

With the new controls it feels much more fleshed out and it actually made me complete the game from start to finish and left me wishing there was more missions.

All in all I could play the game with the original controls and enjoy myself as much as with the new ones.What I get from this is the amazing interactivity that devs have with their user base on iOS, tweaking games fairly quick to better please their costumers.

7. Der-Kleine

#7 Der-Kleine, Apr 17, 2012
    1. I think this should say enough
    [​IMG]
    2. Uhm, what? yes, it affects gameplay by making the game more playable, IMO.

8. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    #8 klarence, Apr 17, 2012
    My screenshot is better, the armor is shining and the resolution is better.
    I dunno how to take a screenshot from 360.
    I would say it's really close.

Attached Files:

9. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    so I use the pic you offer, I'd say they're pretty close.

Attached Files:

10. Der-Kleine

Well if it's shinyness you want...

Attached Files:

11. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    #11 klarence, Apr 17, 2012
    Agree with you, before the update it requires a lot of grinding. Which made me gave up the game for a while.
    But the control is always something I want to praise about, experience something new is what I can expect from a IOS version. I hope it redefines and offer the way how to make a IOS free-roaming cover shoot game.
    I wish more missions too, so short.

12. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Now the game only needs multiplayer like modern combat 3. Many modes, levels ect.
    Then id pay a helluvalot moar:D

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Read the thread... Dunno why you'd compare the console version to the iOS version.

On its own the graphics on the iOS version is superb. Just dont compare it to the console version.

Before the update, the controls SUCK. The aiming was too spoonfed, and it did not feel like a Mass Effect game.

After the update that's where the game showed some shine. I dont know why they didnt release it this way the first time around. Maybe they thought the first version's control scheme was "new and unique." They forgot that the control scheme they had for Dead Space iOS was "tried, tested and perfected." Well, almost perfect at least.

14. Farfield

Farfield Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2011
    In my opinion, there is no comparison, the videogames in a mobile platform like iOS it's different from a console, and i am not talking about it's enjoyable or not, i am user of iOS from iOS 3, and i'm a iOS and Xbox360 gamer.

I've been follow the platform in gaming scope and i really believe in iOS. It's a great platform to the gaming and year after year it's turn it bigger and deeper.

The quality of the games it's grown up, and same the graphics. I think that the controls (touchscreen and controller) doesn't have the same properties, i mean, in the iOS touchscreen, it's need to innovate the control per se, the games that you tell, it's an example of that.

Btw, Infinity Blade it's one of my favorite games, and i am telling you, Chair was smart by how use the touchscreen in the game, and also Iron Monkey with Dead Space, and Mass Effect Infiltrator ... to me, wasn't fun, but i liked the controls and how they put things like rolling and cover, the special weapons in the corners and the tap to aim (which in my opinion would be different, the sniper was difficult to aim, and would have preferred to tap and control the shoot, not only the shoot in the head.

15. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yep, turning off gyroscope makes Mc3 a lot better and they did a fantastic job implenting so much buttons and still make it still easy to play.

You're joking, right?

^What he said.

Well in that pic, I gotta admit, iOS version looks stunning compared to that(not better but stunning that it is so close)

MC3 would still be better ;)

16. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Just curious, setting aside the arguments of whether or not the controls were/are good and the comparisons to the console games and iOS gaming versus console gaming...is this game fun? That's really all I care about.

17. klarence

Oct 22, 2011
    Ok, due to all you guys' opposition, I give up my idea about the graphics.
    But the gyroscope in the games of gameloft, anyone of you guys ever felt you'd be easy to lose the game if you turn off the gyroscope when other doesn't?
    And there're some missions you can't turn that off.

18. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    What? Lol when I use gyro I flip my device too much and I die. And you can turn off gyro for eternity lol

19. Der-Kleine

With gyroscope controlls on: AHH. I'M SPINNING IN CIRCLES. WHAT AM I SHOOTING AT?!!!
    Without gyroscope controlls: And... BOOM HEADSHOT!

TBH the only game I've played so far that does the gyroscope aiming correctly is Uncharted: Golden Abyss (not on iOS, obviously). There you use the gyroscope to aim precisely, and it is only turned on when you zoom in/aim through the snipers scope.

20. Karma32

Karma32 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    I dunno, I had no problems with the gyro controls for MC3 on my friend's ipad2. I can control it pretty good.