iPhone Titan VG Edition - (Valley Games, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by the9quad, Dec 22, 2011.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Never heard of this before but with the adjustable AI and other wargme/boardgame experience, should I still pass this one? The price is forbidding though.

2. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Reading the reviews on the app store, it seems this game could really use a zoom function.

3. blibby

blibby Active Member

Mar 3, 2011
    I've been waiting 30 years for a nice mobile and clean way to play Titan.
    At $8.00 this is a no brainer. Think I paid double for Final Fantasy Tactics.

Yes this game can use enhancements and refinement. I do think as an initial iOS release, they did an incredible job.

Would have preferred the AH tile sets. A zoom function would be nice, but not critical. More save slots to run multiple games. Online play obviously. Derivatives would be nice.

I will say that the game could be converted to a much more slick package, but if they ever do that, I hope they sell it as a separate game and leave the original in it's board game clone style.

This is easily my favourite game released in a long time.

Whats next? Divine Right?

4. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas

If you select "Use Simplified Character Art" it sure looks like the AH counters....

5. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Anyone? I read it is not very suitable for those without the original boardgame experience.

6. blibby

blibby Active Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Well my girlfriend is enjoying it, but she has my enthusiasm to carry her. It is truly a boardgame remake though. It feels like a top down camera on an actual Titan game.

I guess it comes down to why you play Strategy and Tactic games. If you can play games like Chess, Stratego, Risk, and enjoy the mathematical possibilities and probabilities involved, without needing tons of eye candy, you'd probably like this game in it's current form.

There is a huge amount of depth in a Titan game, but like Risk, crazy dice rolling can really turn a game on it's head.

7. blibby

blibby Active Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Thanks, I'll check that out today. :)

8. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Great to hear that.

From part of my resume: I play AH's Midway, Jutland and tried to play Flat Top and well, Starfleet Battles, but also stay at reading manual level . I switch to computer gaming, AH's Operation Crusader is all time favorite. Tried Run5's Battle of Bluge and love it, then go back to her earlier Midway game. Tactical games like Steel Panthers, Tigers on the Prowl, Panthers in the Shadow and now Combat Missions for over 10 years...

Played Carcassonne and Ascension regularly. Really sucks at Samuari and stop playing after a while.

This one among many iOS games on my wish list. I think iOS really need more serious tactical games.

9. TomekSzymek

TomekSzymek Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Isn't it too expensive? It is on my wishlist too, but not for that price. I could buy it but i prefer to buy 5 other games for this price.
    We should count on some sale ;/

10. blibby

blibby Active Member

Mar 3, 2011
    It's about re-playability really. This is a timeless game that should give you an endless amount of fun. Eight dollars may seem steep compared to whats out there, but thats because the app store is filled with rubbish.

Count on a sale? Doesn't seem like that kind of company, but you never know. Could give the game a bit of momentum.

11. dr.morton

dr.morton Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    The suicide play style of the AI's took me a bit by surprise. They attack whenever they can, without regard to their Titans.
    This results in very quick games and some instant kills.
    You won't see some of the really heavy hitters enter the game.

When we played the original AH board game decades ago a usual game took three to four hours. We protected our Titans at all costs, recruited strong units and only picked on the weaker legions of the enemy.
    Usually the slaughter started when the first Titans acquired the teleport ability.

12. AlteaineDranix

AlteaineDranix Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    #32 AlteaineDranix, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
    I can't believe this slipped past my radar. I've been hunting for good board games ever since I discovered the genre.

I want to buy this, but I do have two questions.
    1. Will this ever have any kind of expansions in the future? The Wikipedia link refers to the creation of additional characters; are those expansions or people just making original characters when playing the physical copies?
    2. Are the boards randomized? This is a requirement for me; nearly all the games I've shelled money out for have some element of randomization, since it's the only way I feel a game has endless replayability.

13. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    I'll answer the second question...

Every game is different because your starting tower and dice rolls make each game a unique playthrough. The board is fixed, but where you are and your rolls make it unpredictable.

I've been playing Titan for 25+ years, and I'm glad to have this in my hands :)

Rixx

14. AlteaineDranix

AlteaineDranix Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2011
    I see, thank you. This is probably going to be one of the games I next spend my iTunes credit on, but I hope that the dev tweaks the UI somewhat more before I do. I can deal with fast AI, but the lack of zoom is a curious decision.

I wonder what the game would be like if the board was randomized, though I think that might have Titan purists up in arms.

15. TheOctagonTheory

TheOctagonTheory Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    semi-retired
    Tokyo, Japan
    #35 TheOctagonTheory, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
    This game looks real interesting I think I may give it a go. There's some bugs in teleportation as reported on their FaceBook page.

16. TheOctagonTheory

Sep 7, 2011
    semi-retired
    Tokyo, Japan
    I wonder how Titan VG Edition compares to Pocket War HD, Tactica, or HexEmpire, all iPad war/strategy games, but a bit on the light side I think.

17. TheOctagonTheory

Sep 7, 2011
    semi-retired
    Tokyo, Japan
    How long does it take to learn enough to actually play Titan. I looked at the rule book and I could never remember all those rules.

18. blibby

blibby Active Member

Mar 3, 2011
    As I recall the Avalon Hill rules were 3 or 4 pages.

Armies can have 2 to 7 monsters in them. If they don't move, they don't recruit that turn. Different terrain types allow different monsters to be recruited at the end of the turn. You start with two armies. You can have up to 15 on the main map at once.

I'd say if you've never played before, you can probably pick it up in about a half hour of playing.

19. blibby

blibby Active Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Hmm, well the authors of all those games, were either directly or indirectly inspired by Titan.

Titan is the chess of Fantasy Strategy&Tactics games.

I myself used it as the inspiration for a BBS game I released in 1991. According to some, it then inspired the Final Fantasy Tactics series of games.

20. blibby

blibby Active Member

Mar 3, 2011
    The derivatives were created by fans. I believe Dragon magazine (maybe it was ARES) had some additional maps created by the designers, but it might have just been fan based as well.

I also hope that expansions are in the works, but Valley Games may not actually own Titan, just the rights to publish it. If that's the case then the base game will have to be enough.

The boards are not randomized, but the paths you take are. It's a weird concept, but as a 30 year player of roguelikes, I can tell you the game has endless amount of re-playability.