iPad Crimson Gem Saga: Atlus/IRONNOS JRPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by squarezero, Aug 4, 2010.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It does fade away when you take your finger off the screen, though.

I think in theory the movable stick is great (see Chaos Rings), but the implementation here seems to "slide" as you move the stick, to the point where it become difficult to use. Ugly as it is, the fixed one is responsive and accurate -- something that can't be said about the controls of many Korean ARPGs.

2. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    #502 Eduku, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
    Here's the list of fixes posted on their FB page:

And they also posted:

Not sure what the third one is supposed to mean, the translation is a little dodgy.

3. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Can anyone give me a tutorial on how to use the battle system menu? I'm having a really hard time navigating through them and selecting things

4. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    snip.

So, no voice-over synchronization? I want this game, but I already know from the trailer that out-of sync dialogue will annoy me greatly...

5. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    It was probably lower on their list of priorities compared to some of the other bugs which affect gameplay.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Basically, the combat menu behaves like a ring: swipe directly down (not diagonally) on the selected option (the larger one) to move to the option above it. Tap once, and you'll either take action (in which case you'll have to tap on a target) or see a second level menu. This menu behaves like all the other menus in the game: when you swipe directly down on the selected option, you move to the option below. You can also swipe horizontally on the selected option to access a second sub-category. Tap once on the selected option to activate it. If you make a mistake, tap on the character portrait to go back one step.

For example: in Killian's turn, you can swipe the "ring" to select Skills (icon looks like the top of a crooked staff). On the secondary menu, you can swipe up or down to select one of the visible options (usually healing spells) or swipe once horizontally to access his Unique Abilities (which are combat skills). Tap on the selected option to activated it.

Hope that makes sense. Once you get used to it, you won't even think about it.

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Also, do we know for sure that it's any different from the PSP version? I haven't found a YouTube video that shows dialogue.

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #508 Vovin, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010

New England Gamer should know this.
    NEG played the PSP version.
    I'm trying to summon NEG to this thread ;)

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    That was exactly what I wanted to say... ;)

10. LazyTjai

LazyTjai Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Yeah, the PSP version of New Game+ has a few new locations including the haunted mill (which is now closed) with a special item as reward. You keep all your skills and SP, but not your money and equipment. But the iphone/ ipod version doesn't seem to have this. No replay value, unless it's in the update like what Zenonia 2 had in their update >_<

11. FaustWolf

FaustWolf Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2010
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the voice sample sync issue to be resolved in 1.0.1, but I can live with it if it has to wait until later. Fixing that showstopping Medallion bug was top priority.

Jeez, using Joker Cards to boost an equipment's "Will" rating makes the battle system so much more enjoyable! At about 160 "Will" Spinel becomes this huge death-dealing machine thanks to her regular attack combo. Finally got the pattern down pat!

12. wurmf3edr

wurmf3edr Active Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Yeah - this one took me a while to get the hang of, maybe because it's SO simple in its execution. But once you get the hang of it, it makes older game menus feel archaic.

13. lunzlunz

lunzlunz Active Member

Jul 10, 2010
    been enjoying the game so far, took me bout a full hour to get past the clunky controls but once that was done it's actually a very good game hehe.

i'm really hoping for the bronze medallion bug to be fixed in 1.01, i think i've right about 50 of em from grinding ziggurat so i do not have the option of using all of em :(

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    The medallion bug is on the list of fixes for the already submitted update.

15. lunzlunz

lunzlunz Active Member

Jul 10, 2010
    ooo i see. thanks a lot for pointing that out :D

16. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

This game seems fun!
    Pros and Cons?

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Read Peter's review on the front page -- he sums it up pretty darn well. Keep in mind that there's an update already submitted that promises to take care of (or at least improve upon) most of the problems mentioned in the article.

As far as I'm concerned, this is by far the best traditional, turn-based RPG on the platform.

18. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

Anything like Super Mario RPG: Seven Stars?

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I haven't played Super Mario RPG, though from the footage I've seen it seems to have some platforming aspects (beyond the turn-based combat). CGS reminds me more of Lunar, which was recently re-released in an updated version for the PSP. There's a bit of Grandia, as well, though this is fully 2D and not a 3D/2D hybrid.

20. Lazuli

Lazuli Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    So I've just hit chapter 2, should I have more than the basic skills for my characters at this point? Can't help but feel I'm missing something obvious.