iPhone The Spatials (by Carlos Carrasco)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 5, 2014.

1. DanRiverBrew

DanRiverBrew Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2013
    I've told my gamer friends on Facebook and bringing up your game in other forums

2. DanRiverBrew

Nov 3, 2013
    I have a couple maybe minor suggestions

1) add a sort button for items that toggles between "item level", "item type", "item name"
    2) if the Recycler or Super collider is open all you need to do is tap an item to send it into the box. It's pretty painful dragging 100 items to the recycler. Would make it a lot easier, 4x taps on items and 1 tap on recycle/collide

The 2 work hand in hand cause you could sort by name to create a new item of the same name or by level to scrap all you junk, etc

3. carlosww

carlosww Well-Known Member

May 6, 2014
    You mean, a sorter for the inventory? We don't really want inventory management to become a big thing in the game, I would rather look into what makes the inventory less usable in the first place.

The recycler needs some kind of "autoload" button, like "load all items with less than one star" to recycle less useful items for example. Similar to the sorting method you mention, but directly in the recycler.

Right now we are not 100% sure on where the recycler and collider are going. We will probably remove the collider and streamline the recycler in some way. After we finish the v2 bounties we will have a better idea of what to do with excess items.

4. DanRiverBrew

Nov 3, 2013
    Cool, glad to hear you are thinking of improvements one way or another :)

5. DeNappa

DeNappa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Netherlands
    Hey, i decided to buy the game anyway the other day. Just finished it, as well. Although it was fun to play (can you say 'hi little explodey' on the final level mobs? ;D), some points you might want to addresss in a sequel.

1. Building your own base was kind of pointless after building a few beds, a basic canteen, and some storage. All later upgrades were nice flavor (trees, showers, pizzas and suvh) but not much more. It would be cool if you could at least unlock some new powers or something by upgrading your base.
    2. Food production... I ended up with thousands of meals and juice in the end game, without a use for all the excess. Even selling it earned only 2 credits or somesuch.
    3. The idea of combining items into new, better ones was good, but in the end the ones available to buy were almost always better so you were better off selling everything and buying from different galaxies.
    4. Apart from having a 'home' team to keep building/producing, the purpose of recruiting diminished pretty quickly once you have a full team, as it's expensive and fiddly to be maintaining multiple away crews.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

6. carlosww

May 6, 2014
    Then you will like v2. I already posted some info here, but to recap, you have 20 new rooms with nearly new 100 objects to build. And part of the focus is building a huge service station for visitors and the goods production that comes with it. So v2 is already more focused on the station than v1 ever was, with a lot more content. See this corner of a v2 test station:

[​IMG]

This is probably us overcompensating the balance after moving in 1.0.3 from F2P to premium, although food production was easy to break/cheat in v1 overall.

Yeah in 1.0.3 we lowered prices so it's a lot more attractive to buy from the shops. It's part of the F2P to premium rebalance too.

This was originally more relevant since the "morale cooldown" was longer in v1, but in 1.0.3 it has been shortened a lot. Unless you introduce death it is kind of inevitable that you'll end up with an A-team doing all the exploration. For v2 the vital system will be more involved and for example we are thinking about making officers that go into stasis to fall into a depressed/shocked state, so they refuse to take part in a new mission until they recover. It's more natural than making it happen for every officer after every mission.

7. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I am continually impressed by this developer. I can't wait for the next version!

8. carlosww

May 6, 2014
    This may not be strictly iOS related, but some people following this thread might be interested in knowing that we have just been Greenlit! So the PC/Mac version 2 of The Spatials will be released in Steam! It's just amazing to get in there and I know it's in part because of the support of some you, so a HUGE THANK YOU!

9. DanRiverBrew

Nov 3, 2013
    :) I was just coming on here to say congrats for being Greenlit because i check you blog everyday now haha. 2.3 updates look really slick. I think i'll be picking this up on Steam when it is available. Will the new ipad version be coming out when it goes live on Steam as well or at different times?

10. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Congratulations! I voted for it.

11. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Criminal Defense Attorney
    U.S.
    Congrats to you and your team man, it's awesome to follow a story like this from day one, especially with all the ups and downs y'all had with the balance and pricing. Hope y'all have continued success.

12. carlosww

May 6, 2014
    We will probably make the releases happen close in time but not on the same day, which sounds like a total chaos. We MUST do good/real PR/marketing for the final release of v2, both on Steam and iPad, so there's going to be more variables to consider beyond the game being ready on day X.

Thank you! Tho "the team" is just my brother and me :)

13. DanRiverBrew

Nov 3, 2013
    well you guys rock :)
    I totally understand the releases not being the same day with the apple review process. Just more if it's around the same ballpark, not like this year on steam and 6 months later on ios haha.

Either way, I'm excited about steam as i do play a few games on there.

14. carlosww

May 6, 2014
    Just a heads up - The Spatials v2 is available for iPad as an update to the old v1, so if you downloaded or purchased it last year, check for an update or download it again.

It's back mostly as a "thank you" for the people who downloaded the game and supported us last year. Your encouragement and the discussion we had here helped us focus on v2 and in the end it lead to a successful Steam launch. So thank you :)

Quick FAQ

9.99/12.99? Are you insane?

The price is what it is because it's kept at parity with Steam. It's the same game, so it will have the same price (9.99 for launch week, then 12.99). It's the most ethical option in our view, when taking into account our paying PC customers, which are several orders of magnitude more than we ever got on iPad. It also means it will sell virtually nothing on iPad, we are fully aware of it. Our early adopters get it free and that's what counts for us.

What about old saves?

The game has changed so much it's impossible to support them. But I hope all the improvements and new content make up for it. V2 will keep save compatibility between updates.

15. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Gutsy move but I like it! I could have sworn I has already picked it up once but it's not showing up in my library. :(

16. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    U.S.
    im excited to try the game again. I liked it when it came out but it was shallow, so I can't wait to see what y'all have done with it

17. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Love this game. It confounds me that it never got traction on mobile. Thank you for the generous update.

18. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    U.S.
    #158 CalinR, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Redacted by poster, wish there was a way to delete my own posts. Original issue solved below.

19. carlosww

May 6, 2014
    There's 2 kinds of weapons in v2: sidearms and class weapons. Class weapons are not autofired. You need to select them from the lower bar then touch+drag to target them over the map (the odd v1 "drag from the lower bar" system has been removed). Class weapons can only be equipped by strategists and engineers.

Sidearms are rapid fire, low power weapons that can be equipped by all classes. They autofire by just touching over enemies.

Level 1 normal enemies are really easy for your starter team, you'll mow them down with just your sidearms really fast. That's on purpose. Keep in mind there's 30 more levels, 2 optional difficulty settings for combat, and boss mobs. You won't mow down those unless you greatly outlevel/overgear them.

20. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    U.S.
    #160 CalinR, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Sweet, thanks for the speedy reply, wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something.

EDIT: I'm retarded, I read "automatically fires by pressing on enemies" as "automatically fires at passing by enemies". My bad entirely lmao...