Reccommended Apps for Kids

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by brianna.gardner, Aug 14, 2009.

1. brianna.gardner

brianna.gardner New Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Post in here about any apps you've come across that may be fun/educational for children. I'll get the ball rolling:

I have a 4 year old and 2 year old cousin. Both of them are crazy for Juicebox Software’s Robot Memory Game. There are three levels of play: Easy (4 cards), Medium (8 cards), and Hard (16 cards), so there are levels to challenge them both. There are also four themes for them to choose from: Friendly, Evil, Silly, and Wacky, which helps keep the game from getting too repetitive. This game is laid out in a way that’s easy for them to navigate, and the images of the robots are adorable. This game is definitely worth it, as it keeps them entertained for long periods of time. The folks at Juicebox do a wonderful job. They’ve got three more memory games and a coloring book app available, but the Robot Memory game is my cousins’ favorite.

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #2 drelbs, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009

Bobble Zoo

Designed for toddlers and preschool children in mind, Bobble Zoo is a great learning tool and delivers hours of enjoymen…
    $0.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Designed for toddlers and preschool children in mind, Bobble Zoo is a great learning tool and delivers hours of enjoyment with educational benefits.

Inspired by traditional bobbleheads, this interactive version combines educational tools with captivating and realistic animal portraits, high quality sounds and names of each animal spoken in an adorable child's voice they can relate to.

Each animal sound is paired with a corresponding animal, teaching your toddler their favorite animal sounds and the pronunciation of the animal names. Shake the phone up and down or sideways to keep the animals' heads moving and bobbling.

This simple and intuitive touch-screen experience lets them advance to the next animal with a simple 'tap' on the arrow and hear the authentic animal 'sounds' when they 'pet' the animal.

Featuring 12 Animals:
    Sheep
    Rooster
    Horse
    Cow
    Donkey
    Tiger
    Elephant
    Lemur
    Hippo
    Gorilla
    Zebra
    Lion
    more animals will be added with future updates.

Clean and aesthetically pleasing layout and compelling imagery which grown ups will appreciate.

Can be played on your IPhone and IPhone Touch.

.....::::---CHECK OUT THE DEMO---:::....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QULYHO5AHns
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Family, Kids
    Release:Apr 24, 2009
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

[lite version]

I have yet to show this to a kid and have them not be interested in it.

BaDaBoo

Gamersdailynews SILVER AWARD

"Bulkypix did a good job on this game in many aspects. The whole visual style…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Gamersdailynews SILVER AWARD

"Bulkypix did a good job on this game in many aspects. The whole visual style of the game is cool and smooth. They really did a good job of taking a simple concept and turning it into a visually pleasing experience."

After more than 800000 downloads, you can now get an even crazier version of Badaboo, packed with new challenges and plenty of fun.

This version includes an online store, Bulkyshop, where you can buy new game modes, with each one providing more fun than the previous one, so that you can continue to enjoy and get a new take on the Badaboo experience.

Badaboo is a game for all the family. It is easy to play and lasts forever.
    Ideal for both occasional players and anyone who likes a challenge.
    Challenge your friends and reach the best score! (Facebook connect)

DISCOVER OTHER EXCITING GAMES:
    Hysteria Project, My Brute, Daily Quizz: what happened today, iWater Flow, Twin Blades.

--------------------------------
    CURIOUS? More info on:
    --------------------------------
    bulkypix.com
    facebook.com/Bulkypix
    twitter.com/Bulkypix
    youtube.com/Bulkypix
    Information
    Seller:
    Release:May 09, 2009
    Version:

I actually enjoy this one quite a bit myself, and it's free!

3. arnoldc

arnoldc Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    My kids have enjoyed:

AniMatch -highly polished matching game with great sounds
    Wheels on the bus - silly song with great animation
    Jumbalu Zoo - surprisingly FREE
    TappyTunes - just tap to play music

4. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    We've got a kids version of Zentomino currently in review with Apple. Should be out in a few days. :)

5. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009

Zooloretto™

******Limited Sale Price! ******
    In Zooloretto™ each player uses small, large, wild and exotic animals and their you…
    $3.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    ******Limited Sale Price! ******
    In Zooloretto™ each player uses small, large, wild and exotic animals and their young to try attracting as many visitors as possible to their zoo. But be careful - the zoo must be carefully planned. Before you know it, you have too many animals and not enough room for them. That causes negative points! Luckily, you can expand your zoo.

Zooloretto™, created as a family game, belongs to the most famous award winning board games worldwide.

•„Spiel des Jahres 2007“ (Germany)
    •„Golden Geek Award 2007“ and nominated for the „Game of the year 2008“ (USA)
    •„Japan Boardgame Prize 2007 - Best Foreign Game for Beginners“ (Japan)
    •„Game of the year 2007“ (Australia)

Features:
    •Use the touchscreen to drag and drop animals and vending stalls into your zoo
    •Drag the ”roller blind" from the top to gain an overview of your zoo and the zoos of the other players
    •Unlock new player characters and future add-ons in the integrated shop
    •3D-view for zoos, animals und vending stalls
    •Animations and sounds of the animals makes you feel like you are in a zoo
    •Learn exciting details about all animals from the game in the encyclopedia
    •Play against the computer or up to 4 other players (Pass'n Play)

Here are some great reviews:

"Like all great board games, it looks pretty simple to start out, but more and more complicated as you go along. " - TUAW

"A fascinating and unique turn-based game translated masterfully from its boardgame ancestor." SILVER AWARD - PocketGamer

"A Charming Board Game for the Whole Family" - AppSmile.com

"My ADD is kicking in on this one BIG TIME! This is a great game for five bucks." -Board Game Geek forum post

"For me it’s a no brainer and already have as I have sunk probably about 20 hours of gameplay so far into Zooloretto." - MrBass.org

Zooloretto™ is developed by SpinBottle Games and published by Chillingo Ltd
    Information
    Seller:
    Release:May 08, 2009
    Version:
    User Rating: (3)
    Zooloretto is a great board game. And it's on sale for 99c.;)

6. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm just waiting for someone to start flaming folks at the fact that there are 3 threads talking about the best games for kids in the most recent 10 threads.

Personally, I dont see it as a big deal, but it drives some people nuts.

7. arnoldc

arnoldc Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Yes, it is a decent board game but not for kids like 2 or 4 years old.

8. brianna.gardner

Aug 14, 2009
    New Game from Juicebox Software

Juicebox Software recently came out with another great game my cousins love. This one's called Robot Coloring Book. There are plenty of different images for my cousins to choose from, and the fact that the coloring is similar to using the paint bucket logo in programs such as paint (you pick the color and tap the section you want filled in) is great because their pictures look great. Some of the other coloring apps I've seen had you color using your finger, wherever you touched, there would be color. This is hard to do on the iPhone and the pictures sometimes came out quite sloppy. But Juicebox got it right with their coloring book apps. There are four themes (silly, evil, friendly, and wacky) to choose from, and you can also save your images to the iPhone. Overall, Juicebox is great! :)

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Add Sound Shaker to the list of apps my daughter loves:

Sound Shaker

Tickle Tap Apps presents Sound Shaker, the delightful and hilarious sound-making game. Winner: Parents' Choice Awards GO…
    $1.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Tickle Tap Apps presents Sound Shaker, the delightful and hilarious sound-making game. Winner: Parents' Choice Awards GOLD, Mobile App category.

“Sound Shaker is hilarious. We were all laughing so hard – literally tickled – by this silly game.” Mama Hall, mom blogger.

This highly intuitive musical app is also incredibly amusing. It lets children create and play with chime, whistle, drum, barnyard animal and mystery sounds by simply tapping and tilting. Repeated taps generate new sounds, while longer taps grow sounds and trigger surprise animations. Tilting makes sounds spin and collide in whimsical combinations.

"Want to see a 21st century rattle? Innovative and easy to use, this bite-sized App engages young children with music in a way that could only be done with a motion sensing device like an iPhone or iPod Touch." Children's Technology Review

“I love how creative this is. The sound is wonderful too, not tinny and annoying to your ears (which is good because your kids will be playing this for a long time).” Another Day, Another Thought

“Sound Shaker is almost like an interactive art installation, mixing shapes, sounds and interaction beautifully.” The Best iPhone Apps 4 Kids

Sound Shaker helps children:
    - Learn about sounds
    - Practice listening skills
    - Improve concentration

Recommended for ages 3-5.

AWARDS FOR TICKLE TAP APPS:
    Parents' Choice Gold for Sound Shaker and Sort Slider, Silver for Count Caddy. “zinc Roe design offers a suite of bright and colorful apps for the youngest users... With its welcoming continuity of voice and characters, this age-appropriate playful prologue is deliciously intriguing to those eager to learn.” Parents' Choice jury

Editor’s Choice from the Children’s Technology Review for Sound Shaker and Color Collector, recognizing “no fail products, worthy of their cost, and able to keep children engaged for days at a time.”

PRAISE FOR TICKLE TAP APPS:
    “I happily recommend Tickle Tap Apps to other parents. They’re educational, they’re constructive, interactive and they’re great games.” Russell Smith, Dad

ABOUT TICKLE TAP APPS:
    Tickle, tap, laugh and learn! Tickle Tap Apps are age-appropriate educational games preschoolers can play anywhere. Visit TickleTapApps.com to watch a demo and find out more.

Tickle Tap Apps is a member of Moms with Apps, a collaborative group of family-friendly developers seeking to promote quality apps for kids and families.
    Recommended Ages: 1-3, 4-7
    Categories: Creative Play, Music
    Video: http://youtu.be/rd-CBIx5mcM

Download and enjoy these Tickle Tap Apps too!
    - Tickle Tap Toddler Pack
    - Count Caddy
    - Sort Slider
    - Field Flier
    - Pattern Painter
    - Color Collector
    - Word Wiggler
    - Find Fins
    - Bug Builder
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Family, Kids, Music
    Release:Nov 04, 2009
    Version:

Someone mentioned Tappy Tunes, she loves that one as well!

And I like Zooloretto, but my daughter wouldn't be able to play it.

10. deadweight

deadweight Well-Known Member

Crazy Skeleton. My youngest wouldn't put it down. :D

11. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Pentanimals is great!

12. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I just created an app for toddlers. I have a one year old son and he is very intrigued by my iPhone. He really just loves to click on the icons to see what they do, he doesn't stay in any one app for very long. So I created an app that promotes this kind of discovery. It has fun colorful pictures that when clicked provide visual and auditory feedback. Shaking the iPhone changes the background color and the color is spoken, the iPhone also vibrates when it is shaken. Check it out!

iTunes Link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=338045951&mt=8

TA Thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?threadid=32819

Screenshots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Well, a new "game" out from Sesame Street:

Grover's Number Special

This is an object recognition app, which will help teach your child about numbers, math and counting.

Hello Eve…
    $1.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    This is an object recognition app, which will help teach your child about numbers, math and counting.

Hello Everybodeeeeeee! It is I, Grover! Join me in the kitchen to catch and count ingredients to make nutritious meals. All you have to do is tip your device back and forth to move the tray. I will tell you how many things to catch, and we will count them together. It will be so much fun!

LEARN ABOUT
    • Counting
    • Number recognition
    • Visual discrimination

FEATURES
    • Easy to play – just tilt your device to catch the ingredients!
    • Original Sesame Street video

ABOUT US
    • Sesame Workshop is the nonprofit educational organization that revolutionized children’s media with the landmark Sesame Street. Learn more at www.sesameworkshop.org.

• IDEO is a human-centered design and innovation firm ranked independently among the ten most innovative companies in the world. Learn how our team of child-development experts, veteran toy designers and interaction designers approach the creation of award-winning kid apps at www.ideotoylab.com.

• PRIVACY POLICY can be found here:
    http://www.sesameworkshop.org/privacypolicy

• Your input is very important to us. If you have any questions, comments or need help, please contact us at: [email protected] or [email protected]
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Education, Family, Kids
    Release:Nov 13, 2009
    Version:

14. brianna.gardner

Aug 14, 2009
    Not Really A Game...But Helpful for Kids!

When I was younger, my parents used a points system for keeping track of what chores my brothers and I completed around the house. Once you earned so many points, you got a reward, whether it was an increased allowance or choosing a restaurant to go eat at. We used a plain old chart with stickers, but I recently came across an app called Kid Point Tracking. This app is super-handy, and it is really user-friendly. The first time you open the app, it will ask for the child’s name, age, and give you the option to upload a photo. You can also customize the lists and rewards. You can add to the default lists, and change the point values. Once you’ve got everything set up, you just have to choose the child you’re recording points for, pick the category, and choose the action they completed to earn points. I love that you can take it with you anywhere you go, it’s so convenient! Plus, there’s a “Reports” button that allows you to see how many points each child earned per day or week. It will also tell you what actions they performed, which is handy. Overall, this is a great app, and so useful!

15. sbroumley

sbroumley Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Video Games Software Engineer
    Austin, TX
    Not quite a game but...

My kids used to like playing "delete daddy's apps" by holding down an icon which activates the delete wiggle mode. After witnessing daddy have several heart attacks, they now understand that hitting the home key again exits the mode. I wish there was a way to lockout the delete mode.

16. meme

meme Active Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I have a two year old and she really loves the game by Brian Eno called "Bloom". It's not a kids game, per se, but it's really easy, beautiful, colourful and makes music! She's loved it since we got an iPhone a year ago.
    Check out Tickle Tap Apps (http://www.tickletapapps.com/). they are all great for preschoolers. My daughter loves Field Flier.
    Also, touchpets is a real hit around here. My daughter loves taking care of the electronic dog (while our real dog is sleeping...). It's real easy to navigate.

17. adot777

adot777 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    2 year old ? Play Game? :confused::confused::confused:

what about following games?

Gump Down

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ABOUT

who is gump, idiot? the best simple way just try "Gump down&q…
    $0.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    ABOUT

who is gump, idiot? the best simple way just try "Gump down" and challenge your friends, classmates,family to the most addictive race to the bottom! Ready , GO, GO, GO!!!!!

GAMEPLAY

Tilt left to run left, Tilt right to run Right!

FEATRUES

- Pick up and play! Great for all ages!
    - Endless game play.
    - Local and global leaderboards(OpenFeint).
    - 3 game theme.

Detail: http://adotstudio.appspot.com
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/user/adot1688
    FOLLOW US: http://twitter.com/adot1688
    CONTRACT AS: [email protected]
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Action, Adventure, Arcade, Board, Kids, Role Playing
    Release:Dec 24, 2009
    Version:
    ;

MatchStick Hero

To celebrate for FIFA World club enter finals!
    FREE this weekend!
    ~~~~~~~…
    $0.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    To celebrate for FIFA World club enter finals!
    FREE this weekend!

STORY

You are MatchStick Hero! One day your brother Jim was kidnapped by bullies.
    They are holding Jim hostage on Devil's Cliff and are demanding 77 gold
    coins ransom to release Jim the next day. Can you save Jim before its
    too late?

Challenge with your friends, classmates, family to the most addictive race to the
    bottom to save your brother!

NOTE:

Some ledges are dead ends, Look before you leap! it's more challenge!!!

FEATURES
    - Fun, exciting and easy to play: tilt left or right to run in either direction.
    - 300 meters depth.
    - OpenFeint leaderboards(ON-LINE WORLD HIGH SCORE).
    - Nice graphics, great sound.
    - 6 power-ups items.
    - support 3 play modes: easy, normal, insane.

Detail: http://adotstudio.appspot.com

Video:http://www.youtube.com/user/adot1688

FOLLOW US: http://twitter.com/adot1688

CONTRACT AS: [email protected].

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upcoming updates

Improve gameplay
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Adventure, Arcade, Kids, Racing, Role Playing, Simulation, Sports
    Release:Dec 04, 2009
    Version:
    ;

18. eXistenT

eXistenT Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Germany
    Take all from Disney Interactive Studios games.