Castlevania for iPhone?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by coffinfeeder, Sep 6, 2009.

1. coffinfeeder

coffinfeeder Active Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Pittsburgh
    I've only had my phone for a few months- but I have plenty of apps and games on it. I've yet to come across a metroidvania type game at the app store, and I was wondering if there's any such games that maybe I've missed.

I think games like the DS castlevanias or SOTN would fit perfectly on this platform if the controls were done properly. What do you guys think?

2. TouchGene

TouchGene Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    SotN has got to be one of my favorite games ever, and the DS versions were all good, heck even the GBA Castlevanias were outstanding. I would not hesitate paying $10 for a good port of SotN.

There must be some sort of licensing issue with Castlevania titles. Konami has released 6 games into the app store so far, it seems odd that a Castlevania game would not be in the works. I am assuming, however, that Nintendo has some sort of rights to the 2D Castlevania titles. SotN was released on xbox live though , so there is hope for an iphone port.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    SotN is also on the Playstation Store. I really wanna play it now you've mentioned it.

Anyway, I'd rather have an official CV game on the iPhone than a clone, but they'd have to totally nail the controls. They could do the line-drawing spell casting thing from... whichever-DS-game-it-was too.

4. theaceofaces

theaceofaces Member

Jul 20, 2009
    While I absolutely love any games in the vein of Metroidvania......really I don't think the control scheme is workable on the iphone/ipod touch. You kinda need a lot of buttons just to do everything. If they ported it or someone made a clone, the controls would be cut down and general actions within the game would be limited. And well that just kinda ruins a lot of the fun, at least IMO.

But if they can successfully port it or clone it and keep the controls relatively intact, then I'm all for it!

5. TouchGene

TouchGene Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Yeah, I know. I figured it goes without saying for anyone who's aware of the game, since it came out for the PS1, but yeah, if you got a PS3 or PSP I strongly recommend picking it up (that and Echochrome).

Official CV is a must, since it would not be Castlevania otherwise. If there is absolutely no way to have the original, I would settle for a clone, but it would have to be very good.

I believe the game was Dawn of Sorrow, and I absolutely hated the spell drawing system, having to hold the stylus in my fingers for a game that should not need one was stupid. It would work better on the iphone, but my memories with it on the DS still make me a bit mad.

There is also a movie slated to release in 2011, though there isn't much info on it, but supposedly the original script was leaked (anyone have it?).