Overkill 2 - shooter with realistic 3D weapons (by Craneballs) [universal, F2P]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by craneballs, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I think the third one is the best icon as well.

2. zackobot

zackobot New Member

Jan 1, 2013
    How do you remove the previous build?

3. cho777

cho777 Active Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Icon is nice, the gameplay is good and the waves seem to be just right length enjoying the beta so far

4. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Looks very much like the load out screens from Brink, not copied but influenced. Is the rest of the game similar in tone?

5. craneballs

craneballs Well-Known Member

Like you would normally delete an app. Simply tap your screen long enough until the icons start wiggling and hit the cross on top of the Overkill 2 icon.

6. craneballs

Yeah, Brink served as partial inspiration to us because we felt the guys really nailed weapon customization. It's a shame their gameplay didn't work that well.

To answer your question... we want to have a unified feeling throughout the whole game, so in that sense the tone will be similar, but the Brink influence ends with the gun shop.

You can check out the original Overkill to have a better idea of what to expect: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/overkill/id421659813?mt=8

7. Arghaali

Arghaali Active Member

Jan 22, 2013
    also one of the testers, just installed the new build... dev wants to make the game more easier, but I like challenges. What other testers think?

Anywho Im totally grooved by the game... the test build already is good, even with most weapons locked and limited features.
    I even created a TA profile to be able to join here :D

8. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #48 Rip73, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    Welcome on board to the forum.

In relation to your point, I like difficulty in a game myself.
    The problem with difficulty in a game with iap, any game, is that there tends to be a backlash when people can't progress as quick as they'd like, they twist it around and call it a cash grab or pay wall.

This game is certainly not anything like that at all but I can see how it is something a conscientious developer (like Craneballs) would have to bear in mind.
    A balance in game challenges is probably one of a developers biggest balancing related challenges.

I think they are doing an excellent job in this case.

I also think that, in relation to your point about making it easier, all they are really doing is smoothing it out in certain areas to avoid sudden difficulty spikes and making it a smooth upward difficulty curve that players can adapt to better rather than simply making it easier.

9. Joyomi

Joyomi Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Virginia
    I have been playing the new build, it runs alot better, no where near as laggy. The game just crashed though. Am I the only one who thinks the hit detection is a little off? Sometimes I'm aiming right at an enemy or support box, but I'm not hitting anything.

10. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Yeah the hit is a little off and is kinda touchy. I think this game is dang hard! But then again I am not a hard core gamer. I like the game I just think that since there is no way to move, I die just too quickly! Three guys come out and while I shoot the first two I am already lost a life! Just tone down the amount they hurt you. Some thoughts. I will contine you to play and see what I think...

11. Joyomi

Joyomi Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Virginia
    I know what you mean. When 3 enemies pop up your health starts draining fast, you really need a health kit for every wave. I also agree that the difficult rises way too early in the game.

12. Arghaali

Arghaali Active Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Thank you for welcoming. Yeah, you are right, didn't think about it that way. And now that I see how everyone plays differently... It must be darn tough to balance that.

Good point about the progressive curve, guessing from the tactical map and intro mission there will at least two locations, proly more, so plenty of space to get it real tough progressively :)

Haha yes, when all three pull the trigger the health bar gets decimated. It's best to use airstrike or grenade in this situation, but damn it's hard to say goodbye to the hard earned cash for those. Maybe if they make them cheaper?

13. craneballs

Second round of betatesting is well under way, and the tough task of balancing fun and challenge continues. We have also decided to add grenade throwing enemies. Betatesters can look forward to them in a new build :)

In the meantime, check out what enemies do on their day off :)

[​IMG]

14. Joyomi

Joyomi Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Cool, it will be interesting to see how grenades will affect gameplay.

15. Arghaali

Arghaali Active Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Grenades dropping on our heads? Challenge accepted :cool:

16. craneballs

Weapon upgrades and attachments:

Here you can have a look at some of the weapon upgrades from the game. One could get already lost and the list is by no means complete.

[​IMG]

17. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    That is one hell of a lot of customisation.
    Wonder what the engine filters and coke can do?

18. patrike12

patrike12 New Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Awesome game

Looks like an awesome game, i also am sending in a application for beta testing this moment.

19. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    If it's anything at all like first overkill than I pass...

20. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Well, as it is a Overkill "2", it is a sequel, so as with all sequels it is like the first Overkill.

It is far more visually pleasing, more depth and challenging. It's a big step up. 3d enemies and full 3d armoury for example.

I won't reveal too much more because shouldn't reveal much about beta tests.

It is certainly a good game that fills a particular niche and game style very well and is perfectly suited to the mobile market place.