Spell Quest: Grimm's Journey

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by codebandit, Jan 8, 2014.

1. codebandit

codebandit Well-Known Member

#1 codebandit, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    I'm the CTO and co-founder of Bacon Bandit Games.

We're almost finished development of our first title, Spell Quest: Grimm's Journey. The game is playable on iPhone 3 GS/iPad 1 and up.

Spell words to fight your way through more than 30 stages in this addictive word game. Join Grimm on his amazing adventure through a world full of monsters and treasure!

Spell Quest: Grimm's Journey features:
    ● Easy to pick up and play
    ● Upgrades, books, potions and special items to help you on your journey
    ● Leaderboards - compete with your friends
    ● 20+ monsters to fight
    ● Boss monsters with unique abilities
    ● More than 45 quests to complete
    ● Over 30 stages
    ● 42 Game Center achievements

Check out our web demo (requires Flash). We welcome all feedback!

For parents: the game features cartoon violence (a hooded figure attacking ghosts and monsters) and has no blood, no bad language/swears, so should be safe for children around five years and up.

Screenshots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Hi there, thank to the dev for letting me testing this game, its lovely! I love spelling games and this one is good. I like it more than others because it gives you the possibility to think and not always being in a rush (timer). So I enjoyed it. Very easy to play, well designed and polished. I hope there is more to come in the future!

3. codebandit

Thank you for the kind words, we're really happy that you enjoyed the game!

We also want to thank everyone else that left feedback through TestFlight, your comments and suggestions are both appreciated and helpful!

We are just putting the finishing touches on everything this week, so if anyone else wants to try out the game and make sure it's as good as can be, sign up on TestFlight. Thanks!

4. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Done test flight never used it before but signed up and installed it I hope it doesn't change much on my device.

5. codebandit

#5 codebandit, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    Hi ste86uk,

All it does is add a "provisioning profile" on your device. It's a very small change, and you can remove it later by going to Settings -> General -> Profiles, find it in the list of "Provisioning Profiles" and delete it.

Here's a snippet of info about it from the iOS App Programming Guide:
    "A provisioning profile is a collection of digital entities that uniquely ties developers and devices to an authorized iPhone Development Team and enables a device to be used for testing. A Development Provisioning Profile must be installed on each device on which you wish to run your application code. Each Development Provisioning Profile will contain a set of iPhone Development Certificates, Unique Device Identifiers and an App ID. Devices specified within the provisioning profile can be used for testing only by those individuals whose iPhone Development Certificates are included in the profile. A single device can contain multiple provisioning profiles."

Thanks for signing up to test the game, you should have a build email right away, I just did up a new build for you. :)

6. codebandit

Thank you to all of the people that signed up and played the game. Your feedback was super helpful and it was awesome to hear how much everyone enjoyed the game!

The demo has been updated to V1.0, and the first post here has been updated with new screenshots. We're just about ready to submit the game to the App Store for review, just need a bit of promo art/screenshots and then we're ready!

7. novelaspect

novelaspect New Member

May 27, 2014
    Gems can also be used to obtain some nice equipment, which will make harder stages considerably more manageable. The book store also has an interesting equipment piece that can be used to obtain 4% more gems than usual. Quite useful when grinding for gems.

Many times during the games you’ll receive some hints about words that are effective during each encounter. Among these words are some really strange ones and even foreign ones. What the game is telling you with these hints is to be as creative as possible in order to deal a lot of damage to enemies.

Cheers!

8. Krisjet

Krisjet Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Just tried the web demo and this game seems pretty cool. Polished presentation and a pretty cool mechanic. Not sure I agree that it's wise to not have a time limit when spelling words though, but I guess time is a factor when it comes to getting 4 stars on any given level, so it's not such a huge deal. Will try it when it's out!

9. codebandit

#9 codebandit, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
    Thanks, glad to hear you're enjoying the game!

We decided not to go with a timer for all stages/stars after extensive testing with players - over 90% of players felt that being on a timer constantly was too stressful, as they like to have time to find big words. That's why we compromised by making one star in each stage having a time limit. :)

The game is out, and has been since February 5, 2014. The full thread can be found here. You can also get more info at letterquestgame.com or baconbanditgames.com.

And if you'd like to see the game on Steam (we're currently finishing work on a PC/Mac version!) you can vote on Greenlight.

Cheers!