What's with the OpenFient hate?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by nephilim apps, Jun 7, 2010.

1. nephilim apps

nephilim apps Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    Paraeducator
    Roseville California
    I mean I never use it but I have noticed an extreme amount of hate for it on these forums. Why is that?

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I'm quite the fan of OpenFeint;)

3. Aussie2

Aussie2 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    I like it and I've never seen Anyone complain about it on here

4. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Because it makes the icon ugly, especially when you have a lot of OF icons on one page. Looks like my iPhone is sponsored by OF or something.

More importantly it's clunky. Maybe not the case with third gen devices, but on my iPhone 3G whenever I unlock an achievement with OF, the game lags for a second. It happens on almost every game: Mega Jump, Pocket Creatures, Zombie Pizza, everything. Never like that with local achievement.

That said, if it indeed can save and retrieve our data from their server like in the case of Minigore, then I suppose I can live with it. Just as long as the icon isn't ugly, lol.

5. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    1. It ruins the game icon
    2. The screen that appears when you first play
    3. The fact you say you do not want it yet the icon and the nagging to join OF continues when you get any high scores
    4. That it is being added to games as a selling point when it does not enhance the game
    5. It's an ad.

Desired:
    Game opens, I say No to OF and two things happen:
    1. The icon reverts to the state the designer intended
    2. At no point at all in the game anywhere do I see that symbol or those words.

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #6 Vovin, Jun 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
    It's not Open Feint-hate, it's icon fetishism.
    I bet some people get sexually aroused by a good looking iDevice icon page. :D

7. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    It would seem that if you are so dispassioned concerning OpenFeint, you would just avoid games that incorporate it. :)

8. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I do.

And it's not an icon fetish. It's about me wanting to beat my own high scores without being nagged to join something that will not add to my experience at all. The icon is basically saying "Play against everybody and beat them" and I just don't want to.

But no, that icon means I'll almost certainly not buy the game.

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    :cool:

You've missed quite a bunch of good games.

10. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    My girlfriend absolutely loves achievements, she has started playing games without them. She will always choose a game with OF over anything.

11. ipod_david

ipod_david Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    me too, my score is 27k. I know of some forummember who got 100k and more points on OF. I am achievementjunkie :D

12. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    OF is an ugly ass interface, it's clunky and plus what the hecks the point once GameCenter comes out? If i was OF i would shut down.

13. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I know right?! I mean seriously, the highest I've seen is 96k and I think that's a bit obsessive hahaha! Have you seen any higher?

14. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    what a strange misleading defense...let me remind you that alot of good games have it..so its unavoidable

however its only a few weeks and it will be the death and end of openfient..with introduction tomorrow of 0s4...and apple will have its own gaming center and achievements... bye bye opein fient!!

15. k1ngofk1ngs

k1ngofk1ngs Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    New Zealand
    I quite like it

16. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    I think they are transferring all the Open Feint stuff to GameCentre once it comes out, it says it somewhere on their site.

17. Nicholai_85

Nicholai_85 Member

Jun 7, 2010
    The highest i see is 96k too and damn right it is obsessive

18. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Agreed! I just play for fun.

19. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    That was no defense, as no offense was directed toward me. I was simply stating my view. If a gaming trend among developers was that you had to type your Social Security number into a form to play and obviously that would be something I wouldn't like, I don't care how good the games were that were involved; I just wouldn't buy them at all.

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I only have a few issues with it myself.

1) Friends Online notifications while in a game. Is there a way to disable this? I have a lot of random folk I've approved as friends that, quite frankly, not only do I not even know who they are (non-TA folk, of course) but I REALLY don't care when they're online. If playing a game like Exodus, I often need to access the bottom of the playfield and if one of these stupid notifications pops up I have to wait until it goes back down to continue drawing a path or I'll start loading up OF. :(

2) Lazy devs that figure since OF tracks even your local scores, there is no reason to still show your best score in a given game mode within the game. This is INCREDIBLY annoying when playing a game with several different modes as it often means I need to exit the main game, load up OF, find the specific mode I just played, note my score, and then quit out of OF. If tracked right there in the game I would be able to see my best score for that game right there in an upper corner of the gamefield of maybe another page I can access instantly in 2 clicks or so.

3) Unless in offline mode, you no longer can see anything but your top score in each mode. I, as a primarily solo gamer, would rather be able to see my top 10 scores for each mode, but then again, this is something best handled within the game itself anyways and not in OF.

4) Having the game interrupted with achievements! Ideally there should be some sort of quick blurb when it is achieved and then ONCE THE GAME IS OVER, the player can be interrupted to post his achievements.