Universal Freedom Fall - (by Stirfire Studios) [Universal]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 19, 2013.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    A true gem this one, brings together plot and gameplay together much like Bastion. I loved that the game hints at the Princess' past and issues but doesn't spell it all out for the player.

2. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Finally got to play it after the developers fixed the iPod Touch bug, and, hmmm. I really, really liked it, but not so much as a game - strip away the art and the storytelling and as far as I'm concerned too much of this has been done much, much better elsewhere. Not that it was bad - the branching paths were a reasonably decent touch - but the level design wasn't particularly memorable, and the difficulty ramped up far too much by the end. Add some really dodgy virtual controls to the mix and the basic mechanics underneath were more annoying than anything else - I have no idea what was wrong, but neither the Dpad nor the jump button would respond consistently. Huge deadzones, maybe - this wasn't like the drift in Asphalt 8, this was if my thumb moved even a fraction out of alignment nothing happened. (Plus why the hell did I have the ability to look down? Where in the game did I need that? :confused:)

On the other hand, it still basically hung together all right, and I beat it. Art was simple, but pretty slick for a tiny indie game and very visually pleasing. (I didn't like the music at all but I'm prepared to let that slide.) And the writing? It's such a hackneyed method of environmental storytelling, which I'm guessing the devs were more than aware of, but Jeez. Loved it. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Absolutely wonderful voice in those messages painted everywhere, a totally believable character with depth and an arc of her own and everything (I even felt sorry for her). Made me laugh out loud more than once, had me coming back even when the game was frustrating me, had me filling in the blanks in my head about the wider world outside the game. (And I'd rate it much higher than Bastion, though I don't like that game anywhere near as much as most people seem to - I got bored of it.)

So, yeah. More confirmation, IMO, that a good story can make up for a whole lot of things, despite what most people who play or design games will tell you. Developers, despite all the negativity (I can imagine it's not what you want to hear) I'd still happily play anything else you manage to do! Just... for what little my opinion's worth, you've still got a ways to go with the making games part, but as far as telling interactive stories (of sorts) that get you hooked, you're already up there with the best. And from me, with how harshly I judge writing in videogames, that's meant as a hell of a compliment.

3. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Two things before I buy:
    About how long is the game?
    Are there any puzzle elements? Switches, obstacles/traps that move, stuff like that?

4. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

So I got the game yesterday and it's excellent. Love the art style and the visual storytelling is brilliant. Platforming is challenging but fun. Prefer the D-pad controls

Not my favorite IOS platformer ever, that honor still goes to Penumbear, but Freedom Fall is definitely top notch and one of the best

5. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I had never heard of this one. Adding to my wish list. I have WAY to many games I haven't played yet. This one looks fun though.

6. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    No longer in the appstore, I dragged my feet too long. Was going to buy it tonight.

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Awwwwww... It's not in my purchased history either...

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Good thing i still have this on the 4S. Sad to see this gone. One of the best games i've played on iOS.

9. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Huh, that is a shame. Did the developers fold and lose their App Store license or something? I'm not entirely sure how that works.

10. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Was going through my updates, and this popped up - it's back in the store. =oD