Dungeon Plunder - Old-school Isometric Dungeon Crawling RPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by DungeonPlunder, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    love the first icon! reminds me old school fantasy book covers... :)

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I think the first icon stands out more.

This is looking bloody fantastic, can't wait to play it! :D

3. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #23 Primoz, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    Woah. I like this isometric view a lot and it has amazing pixel art.

Definitely insta-buy!

I like the 2nd icon better. The first one doesent seem to represent this game, it rather represents a coin-pusher game with dragons in it :D

4. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    Both icons are great, but the second one is more suitable and easier to relate to the "dungeon crawler" theme. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

5. Yes I will have the buttons redone - not a great fan of them either.

Thanks for the good words everyone.

6. #26 DungeonPlunder, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    Just a heads up: Had a fairly busy weekend and I couldn't release a test version as mentioned in my previous post.

Next version (tentatively scheduled for next weekend) will have a first draft of the new tiles integrated, a revamped battle screen, the legacy runes system (items providing bonuses that survive your death and are granted to your new characters in perma-death mode) and some additional in-game quests that may come up on the map generator (Example: A weaponsmith who will upgrade your weapon if you bring him ingots).

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm excited about the progress it sounds like has been made on Dungeon Plunder. Keep us informed, screenshots never hurt.

8. Linx550

Linx550 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Are there any more slots? I JUST signed up. Lol.

9. Screenshots would be tough at this time tbh - there's quite a few items not re-done (notably the characters). Coordinating daily with artists on Skype - code is ahead of the graphics atm with several placeholders items but things will settle down for the release in a few weeks.

Linx550: I sent you an email - thanks for the help offer!

10. #30 DungeonPlunder, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
    New build has been sent with the random maps, new graphics's first draft and lots more. Check your email testers and thanks for the feedback.

Should have some screenshots of the new graphics next week for everyone to see as soon as I have a new character model finished up.

11. #31 DungeonPlunder, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
    New graphics are about 75% done - here's the new mage:

[​IMG]

Current plans are to provide 3 models, including a female, for every class.

As you can see above: Like any self respecting RPG there's rats to be killed at level 1!

Dungeon Plunder will randomly generate both a different overland and an underground map every game.

12. Linx550

Dec 28, 2012
    #32 Linx550, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
    Looks awesome,Just got the build.

Edit: tried downloading,it's stuck on waiting and it says "Dungeon Plunder can't be downloaded at this time"

13. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Keep trying, I think TestFlight has been having technical difficulties. This has been observed with otjer TF apps; give it another go or keep pushing retry and it should work.

14. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    #34 LCDDreams, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
    Yeah, we've been having the same issues.

This looks like a cool game - I never get tired of turn based RPGs. The graphics style and map layout reminds me a lot of Palm Heroes.

Oh, and regarding the icons, both are cool, but I think the dungeon one is a bit better. The dragon one is a bit hard to "read" at first - I got the idea, but it took me a second to figure out just how the dragon was positioned. It almost looks like his neck is bending backward over his body, which is odd, though I think he's just sleeping on top of his gold with his neck curled around. It stands out more because of the bright colors, but the dungeon doors just look more like a dungeon crawler/rogue-like type game.

15. Double checked and your device id is in this build so you should be able to download it if Testflight is working. Might sound "obvious" but make sure to use the device you registered with.

16. Thanks - hope you'll enjoy the game.

Fun fact: While making the map generator I had an idea that I could easily adapt that code and the map engine into an HoMM3 style strategy game once I was done with Dungeon Plunder. It'd have async multiplayer, offline play, factions and all.

But then I learned about Palm Heroes which was exactly that already so there's not much point going that road :)

17. Linx550

Dec 28, 2012
    It's got to be Test Flight,It's downloading,But it is still saying it's waiting (But it's extremely slow.) It's been 10 min and it's only 1/3 done.

18. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Do it! Palm Heroes is good but I'd hate for them to be the sole representative of HOMM style gameplay on iOS. You could give them a run for the money. If you've got the engine developed you might as well use it. You'd at least have my money.

19. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Pity I missed out on the beta, but anyway, this game looks cool! Excited to see where it goes! :)

20. #40 DungeonPlunder, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    Update: Release is getting very close. I have the universal build ready and will upload to testers tomorrow. Will spend another week balancing and polishing it while awaiting 6 new alternate models that I commissioned (female and alternate male ones)

Did a quick AirPlay shoot of a rogue fight on an iPad Mini at level 3. Sorry for the poor quality and off sound as I have absolutely 0 experience into shooting these (could really use some pointers):

Video: video

[​IMG]

This is the first time I show the combat system publicly so here's a quick explanation of it:

Dungeon Plunder uses a slot like system to resolve fights, with a hold symbol mechanic, where every set of 2 identical class-related symbols (or more) trigger an action. The Rogue uses daggers to attack but must also build up poison (the green flasks) in order to keep the opponent stunned and to increase his dagger damage.

There's also cooldowns to manage (the buttons below the reels) during fights.

While I'm around here's another screenshot:
    [​IMG]

There's actually a goal in Dungeon Plunder besides having fun slaughtering monsters, getting loot and leveling up. You see there's some mean wizard who's freezing the world using an orb and you must stop him.

While you travel you'll see the world progressively being affected by the blight: lakes being covered with ice, trees will wither and the land will be snow-covered.

You'll be able to give a shot at stopping him by the end of the month if all goes as planned :)