Cricket Words by Think Tap Work

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jeremy.provost, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeremy.provost

jeremy.provost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #1 jeremy.provost, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011

UPDATE: Cricket words has been released.

New thread is here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=114085

This "upcoming" thread is now closed.

------
    Hello,

We're a small indie developer that just put out our first iOS game, Cricket Words. It's our combination of the dart game "cricket" and word building games like Boggle, Scrabble, and Words with Friends. Unlike some of those other games, our game is designed to make it hard to cheat.

The game is free with an option to remove ads. We use Game Center so you can easily connect with friends.

Cricket Words will be launching this upcoming Tuesday, November 22nd. Once it launches it will be available at this URL:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cricket-words/id468205701?ls=1&mt=8

In the meantime, we have a few promo codes for people that want to get an advance peek:

P7AJF3LK69HL
    RATAE4FAJ3MN
    NK76EK9PEAE6
    EHH3FTLERH4Y
    R667RJPYXL7L

We'd love it if you'd take a minute to check it out. We think you'll enjoy it. If you want to start a game with us you can add us (jeremy.provost and eyepatchy) or you can use the auto-match feature to find an opponent.

Thanks,

Think Tap Work
    http://thinktapwork.com
    http://blog.thinktapwork.com
    http://twitter.com/thinktapwork

2. LawLessLove

LawLessLove Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    EHH3FTLERH4Y taken

Thank you!

3. jeremy.provost

Nov 18, 2011
    We'd love to hear any feedback people might have.

4. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    Just downloaded this. I have started a couple of games and taken my go and just awaiting my opponents to go.

Seems ok so far. Think I have understood how it plays out etc from the descriptions.
    The only thing I don't like is that the colours/layout etc is too much like Game Centre.

I have this installled on my iPad and not on my iPhone but because the notifications from the app come through Game Centre and not directly from the app I get the notifications on both devices. Nothing major just bugs me a bit.

5. jeremy.provost

Nov 18, 2011
    I really appreciate you taking the time to play and send this feedback.

The look and feel definitely have some room to evolve, to say the least. And we're totally open to that.

I understand the issue with notifications. Unfortunately, because we're using Game Center's turn-based gaming there's nothing we can do. They don't give developers any control over those notifications (except for the actual message that is displayed).

Thanks again and feel free to send any other suggestions/criticism.

6. pavarotti2007

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    #6 pavarotti2007, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
    Hey

Been playing this a bit more and now understand the rules and how to play properly now. Really enjoying it.

However, I have noticed that games just randomly disappear from my list. At first I thought it was people just quitting etc as I was playing against random people. So started only playing against my Mum, Wife and friend and games periodically disappear from my list and don't come back. Quite annoying, especially when I'm winning.

Also, I am in the middle of a game with my Mum, when she takes her go it comes through as an invitation to play and still says it is her turn. I have to quit the app, close it in the fast app bar and then restart it for it to register that it is my go.

7. jeremy.provost

Nov 18, 2011
  8. jeremy.provost

Nov 18, 2011
    I should note that those games will come back around to you once it's your turn again. They aren't gone forever.

9. pavarotti2007

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    The odd one never comes back unfortunately.
    Can't you work round it? Doesn't seem to happen in other games.

10. jeremy.provost

Nov 18, 2011
    Could you give me some examples of other games? Are they using Game Center's new iOS 5 turn-based gaming?

We have been in touch with Apple and they have not provided any type of workaround at the moment. I know that a number of other developers have filed the same bug so hopefully it will get their attention soon.

11. jeremy.provost

Nov 18, 2011
    Cricket Words is actually free. You can get it here:

http://bit.ly/cricketwords

We were handing out codes as a way to get it before it was released. But it's live now.

We are also offering a free upgrade to ad-free to anyone that tweets a message about the game. The message to be tweeted and an easy link are at this page:

http://bit.ly/cw_info

12. jeremy.provost

Nov 18, 2011
  13. pavarotti2007

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    Yeah. Been playing quite a bit against my mother and wife. I have been using iPad 2 with iOS 5, the wife has been using an iPad2 with iOS 5 and my mother has been using iPhone 4 with iOS 5. None of the devices are, or have ever been jailbroken.

Some games just vanish off the screens so dobody gets another turn.

14. jeremy.provost

Nov 18, 2011
    Is it possible that some games are being accidentally declined by someone clearing out invitations from Notification Center. This is an unfortunate implementation on Apple's part that clearing those invitation notifications automatically declines a game even if you're in the middle of playing. We've mentioned this to Apple and we hope it's something they consider changing in the future.

15. jeremy.provost

Nov 18, 2011
    Just wanted to provide some follow-up. Version 1.0.1 was just released last night by Apple. That update fixed a few bugs and included a few tweaks. Mostly minor stuff but definitely worth getting. Not happy to rest, today we submitted version 1.1 which includes some big UI changes (with even more to come in 1.2). Just waiting on Apple to approve it now.

Version 1.2 will also be a great upgrade. We're making the game backwards compatible to iOS 4.3 and we're including a one-player mode so you can practice your skills before facing off against your friends. We're really excited and we're going to keep the upgrades coming.

16. jeremy.provost

Nov 18, 2011
    The 1.1 update of Cricket Words was just released last night. Thanks to everyone who participated in the ad-free promotion. Hope you like the UI changes.

We are hoping to submit 1.2 to Apple later this week.

17. pavarotti2007

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    Thanks for the update. Starting to look a lot better now.

:)

18. jeremy.provost

Nov 18, 2011
    Yeah, we like it a lot better, too. We have some more UI updates coming later.

19. pavarotti2007

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    Great, looking forward to them :)

20. jeremy.provost

Nov 18, 2011
    We did submit a 1.1.1 update yesterday. This update includes a few new sound effects to make things more intuitive. It gives easy and medium games some more time on the clock. A few minor UI fixes. Also, when someone wins it will say more than just "username won!" It will now include the details of how they won.

We decided to make 1 player mode really great, rather than just trying to rush it. That's why we submitted this update now. We hope to have 1.2 submitted next week.