NGmoco, and Freeverse Interview about 3gs/splintered market

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dhustead, Jul 8, 2009.

1. dhustead

dhustead Active Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
  2. Patton

Patton Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Grad Student
    Denver
    Interesting read... I think until Apple unveils a radically different iPhone... the market will stay pretty uniform. Games that are ideal for the touch interface w/ the small screen rarely need great processing power. And only a few games seem to be pushing the limits of the older iDevices (Real Racing, Doom) I don't think we have to worry about being abandoned on the older equipment for quite some time.

3. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    I really don't care I just want my fancier graphics on my new iPhone !!!

4. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Well, it makes sense that they wouldn't abandon an install base of 40 million + consumers.

One thing that stood out, however, is this:

I call BS on that one.

Super Monkey Ball and Crash Nitro Kart were on the App Store before Flick Fishing was released, only recently fell out of the top 50 paid games list, and both had reached half a million units sold after only a couple of months on the market, if that.

Flick Fishing dropped off the charts before dropping to a buck, then shot back up for a while, then dropped back down once they raised price. It's periodically been on and off the top 100 paid game list over it's life span. The other games I listed, however, have NEVER been off the top 100 paid game list. EVER.

5. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    :confused:

I would say using a new CPU and GPU, and twice the RAM, is a pretty radical change. It's a true next gen product (not using that term the way Apple uses it, to refer to what are basically redesigns with the same or similar internal components).

I mean...as far as gaming is concerned (and this is toucharcade, a gaming focused site), the vast upgrade in CPU, GPU and RAM is very significant.

I'd say about in about a year and a half to two years, after a length of time has passed when Apple has stopped manufacturing the current gen of devices (again, using the gamer usage of that term, not Apple's, so by "current gen" I mean both iTouch designs and non-3Gs iPhones) and they've both disappeared from the market and current users have upgraded, then and only then will we see games that are 3Gs and 3Gs based iTouch specific.

6. dhustead

dhustead Active Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    Yeah, I was wondering about that claim as well. I had thought it was Crash, or SMB. I own an iphone 3g and a 3gs. I'd like if they started implementing high quality options you can change depending on your device, much like PC gaming does with high end and lower end graphics cards. Either way, they will hit a point when they will need to optimize the games for the flagship idevice. Like Spiffyone said, my guess would be around summer 2010.

7. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Hmm, so someone is going to buy an iphone b/c they will pay only $2300 vs $2400 over a two year ATT plan?? :confused: