Duke Nukem 3d removed from app store?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Phantomlord, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Phantomlord

Phantomlord Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    I just checked the app store for an update to DN3D which has become a daily ritual, and noticed Duke Nukem 3d has been removed from app store. Could that mean Apple is uploading a new version or perhaps it's an error on my part? Has anyone else notice this?

2. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Looks gone to me. The DK saga continues...forever...

3. Hudson RL

Hudson RL Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    England
    just checked the UK store and it has been removed from there as well, weird :S

4. Phantomlord

Aug 19, 2009
    Maybe this is a good thing, and by days end we'll have the update everyone has been waiting for.:cool:

5. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Actually could be a good sign believe it or not.

Seeing the incompetence of their dev team, maybe the update was finally accepted and they decided to set the date a few days out so that they could create a formal announcement and ad campaign... of course once you do that on an app update it is immediately removed from the store until you reach the date specified! :D

6. XciteMe83

XciteMe83 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    OMG yay!!! That HAS to mean an update is imminent. :)

7. mrkgoo

mrkgoo Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    If that were the case, wouldn't it be removed internationally? Shows up in the NZ store.

8. Phantomlord

Aug 19, 2009
    Interesting cause it seems to be gone from the States & the Uk. Perhaps we are the pilots?!

9. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    Ummmm... An update being accepted shouldn't have anything to do with it being taken down. It would just stay there and wait for the update to circulate or be released.... or am I missing something here?

10. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Sometimes games are temporarily removed when updates are about to be put up. Sometimes it actually coincides with a price drop as well.

11. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Yep, you're missing the inner workings of the app store, which I am very familiar with. As a matter of fact, I actually did this very thing accidentally during a Rogue Touch update! Changed the date to the next day instead of the current day (or some other future date) when the update is approved, and "poof" you disappear from the store (and will not re-appear until that set date, unless you change it back to the current day). Lots of people have made that mistake before, and continue to do so even now :)

With that said, as mrkgoo points out if this is what they did, you'd expect it to be gone from ALL app stores worldwide...

12. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    It stills shows up in search, so it looks like the release date has been changed to sometime in the future. If it's removed from sale then you don't see it anymore when doing search. May be there was a problem with the update, then changing the release date to the future is the easiest way to avoid people downloading the buggy version, although that hurts sales a lot.

13. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    The Hardy Boys in: The Mystery of the appstore

The hardy boys are back in their greatest adventure ever. Finding out what the hell goes on inside the appstore approval process. Going to be released soon.

Sounds really spooky you guys gonna buy the book? lol

14. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Ohh I'm sure sales have been hurt a lot already. I commend the dev team for bringing a beautiful port of the game, however I condemn them for shipping with god awful controls.

15. Phantomlord

Aug 19, 2009
    Or could it be the update failed Apple's approval process so they pulled the app all together???:eek:

16. Only if they found something objectionable in the original that they missed on first approval. If Apple rejects an update, only the update is effected unless it's discovered that the reason for rejecting the update also exists in the original.

The disappearance could indeed be a good thing, so here's to hoping. I'm really anxious to grab it.

17. mrkgoo

mrkgoo Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    But material that exists only in the US version and UK version? As far as I know, there really aren't different 'versions', unless the developer makes different ones.

18. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    My theory is that the game contains rectangles- and the rectangles have edges, and the guy that owns the copyright to the word EDGE is suing- and so the app needs to be removed...

(heh, the logic worked for the old skool batman and robin..):D

19. josh.hofer

josh.hofer Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
  20. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    That's a good find. Bummer Duke got pulled but it doesn't mention anything about the update. It just says it got pulled due to irrelevant search terms... Whatever that means.

I'm not sure this necessarily implies anything about the update but I could be wrong. Hard to tell with Apple.