So... where is the LOOPY LABORATORY update...?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by BrettArchibald, Mar 24, 2009.

1. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Now this is an update that was promised a looooong time ago, and it's such a shame, because after all this time, this is (was) still my favourite iPhone game ever...

Loopy Laboratory originally came with 50 levels, but a lot of people found those initial levels too quick and easy.

In an email from me to the developer, dated October 17th 2008, I said:
    "Do you have any plans to add more levels, over and above the original 50, in any future game updates?"
    He replied shortly, saying:
    "If the game does well I might consider releasing an update that adds new levels and/or perhaps some kind of mechanism where people can create their own."

Then on October 21st 2008, the developer promised more levels, here:
    http://toucharcade.com/2008/10/21/sales-on-loopy-laboratory-venger-nanosaur-2/#comment-5186
    He concluded his post by saying:
    "On a more cheerful note: I can confirm that additional levels are on the way."

I haven't heard anything about this since then, so I have no idea what the status on this is.
    I have just sent an email to the developer and also sent him a link to this post, so that he has the option of replying to more than just me personally.

2. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    MAybe has making a update with 100 levels that take alot of time to make?

I dont know but I hate it when devs promixse updates and never update there apps.................:(:mad:

3. As a developer, I know that updates take time. In fact, they always tend to take longer than you expect. I don't know anything about this particular developer, but it is entirely possible that he has a full time job (besides making iPhone games), a family and lots of other responsibilities.

I'm just saying cut him some slack, he's probably hard at work on it whenever he can make time :)

4. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Yea very true, I'm assuming (dont quote me on this tho) that most iPhone devs have a family to support with a full time job maybe?

5. Well, I don't have statistics, but a lot of Indie developers do it as a side project and still have a full time regular job to pay the bills. The few mega success stories you hear about (iShoot etc.) are an exception and not the rule. Although I'm sure most indie devs are hoping for that kind of success so they can do it full time!

6. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I have no firsthand knowledge about the developer, but given the simple fact that he hasn't updated his web site to reflect the fact that the game cost $4.99 now instead of $2.99, I'd say he's either given up on the game or has a lot of other things on his plate right now. I suppose maybe he's just too busy on the game to change his web site, but c'mon - it only takes about 30 seconds to change some text on a web page and re-upload it.

7. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    #7 darwiniandude, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
    I think it didn't do as well as he expected, afterall it's a bit hard when there are so many games on the AppStore to stand out. As we all well know.

This is why I think the in app purchase model is a good idea... I'd pay a small amount for more levels, as I'm sure some fans of the game would, and this way the dev gets money forthe effort.

Anyway, I emailed the dev too recently, never heard back. I'll paste my email here when I'm back on the computer.

---

Have pasted email in now.

8. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    This is the email I sent him, with no response, on March 1st:

This is a really great game, I left a very positive review on the Australian AppStore back in October. It's sad that Loopy Lab doesn't seem to have been as popular as I'd have expected... I hope it's been worth the trouble for you. I don't know what would help improve sales other than more levels and a price drop (although I think the original price is more than fair the AppStore is a crazy place)

Obviously you'd have to weigh up if it's worth doing any of the following, but some suggestions are below. Note that I'm not asking for more content for my original purchase but rather hoping the game might attract more interest and reach critical sales mass so it's worth it for you to keep adding content.

-Record number of moves to complete level.
    -Level selection screen to replay favorites / try for less moves.
    -Level editor, in game or web / mac based, let the community make tricky levels that others can download within the game. I think people would love to craft a level, record their moves, submit it and others can try and beat that move count etc. Probably irritating to implement but would give Loopy Lab infinite puzzle appeal.

I'd do the above updates combined with a pricedrop to .99c (much as I feel that's too cheap) to stimulate growth. Touch Arcade seems a good place to promote something I buy most things I see on there.

Anyway, great game, hope it's future isn't abandonment. :)

Sent from my iPhone

9. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    They just put this on sale for 0.99USD.

10. Ahiru

Ahiru Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    public servant
    nowhere near you!
    forget the levels, how about updating the sluggish controls...?? chip's challenge pwns this...

11. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan Well-Known Member

I can relate to the idea that this developer may have other priorities in life. I don't think this game was a runaway hit or anything. I have a similar game in development and had high hopes to have it out the door much earlier, but once I missed a window of opportunity I've had scant time to work on it.

It's painful for the indie developer, believe me. I started with a two person programming team and some other supporting individuals and it fell back to just me. I'm working on it, but it's SLOOOOOOW.

The recent price drop might mean that the dev has some time opening up to pay attention to the game again. Perhaps instead of trying to bandage up a game that was never a hit, he/she has a new game planned. You never know.