Midnight Star [Unreal Engine/Shooter] by Industrial Toys

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by defred34, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    #1 defred34, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
    Set 120 years into our future, Morning Star takes players aboard the MSRV-Joplin, a research vessel newly outfitted with military weaponry to explore a mysterious signal coming from within our Solar System. When inevitable disaster strikes, they’re transported across the cosmos to take part in an epic war that is not their own to undo a bunch of awfulness that goes down.

Quick details: Sci-fi shooter, UE3, Spring 2013.

2. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dev here-- the press release went out in the UK a little early, sorry! The site will go live at 5a PT/1P GMT, so please check back (you're probably seeing it password protected right now). Teaser trailer, screens, etc.

Anxious to hear your feedback...

3. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    That is great! Even better to have you here. To be frank, I liked your Facebook page right from day one, and have been following the development closely. Will update the original post with screens and teaser video. If you have anything else to share with us (pricing, content, controls, story) please do!

4. thewzrd

thewzrd Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Design
    Los Angeles, CA
    Very much appreciate that. We've been chomping at the bit to share. We have some details that will hit with the site launch, but I'll be here for discussion right after (I gotta catch some zzzz's - we're in LA and tomorrow's going to be crazy. I'd really like to get reactions from you then and talk through what we're trying to do. If you're following us on Facebook, you've seen that part of what we want to do is incorporate feedback AS we develop rather than afterward.

See you in a few hours!

5. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#5 killercow, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  6. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    iPod touch 4?

7. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    If this turns out to be on rails, it'd be a bummer. Let's just wait for confirmation from their rep who should be back here soon.

8. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    If this is on rails then I've got a plan:
    1. Puke in a box
    2. Film it
    3. Put the video on YouTube
    4. Send the box to the developers

I'll be really disappointed if it's on rails. I hate seeing how all the artist's and developer's skills and work are going to waste in rail shooters.

9. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

There was an interview from the devs on a website, they said that you won't see any virtual joystick but a new way to control the game that's better... Seems similar to what the Drowning is trying to do. There's also multiplayer.

10. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    WHat I am really buffed up about is, don't you think virtual controllers in shooter such as Shadowgun (the original game) are OK? In recent games, devs have over-complicated them with lots of other elements that may scare away the casual gamer (like Deadzone), but SHadowgun really shows that virtual sticks work for touchscreen shooter. Yes, there is maybe one hours worth of learning curve, but then you're good to go.

11. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I doubt they can make "original" controls. Everything possible has been done already. I just hope they didn't add the accelerometer or gyro controls into this. Or (god forbid!) use of the front facing camera.

12. clever_bug

clever_bug Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Oh, the dev (thewzrd) here is Mr. Tim Harris - founder and president of Industrial Toys. Nice to see you here, Tim! :)

I don't think this is an on-rail shooter. Industrial Toys said that their games are for hard-core gamers, and hard-core gamers never play on-rail shooters. Mr. Alex Seropian - CEO of Industrial Toys - also doesn't like that genre of shooter games. Therefore, I think Morning Star is not an on-rail shooter, but it has an innovative method of control. That's why Industrial Toys said this game would reimagine shooter games for mobile! :)

13. tofusoup

tofusoup Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    My guess would be some form of camera motion detection with swipe.

The single player in Halo franchise has never been very good. I'll have to wait and see.

14. RatDog_Andrew

RatDog_Andrew Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I could see them using a mixture of accelerometer and swipe based combat. Something based off the acceleromter controls that RAGE used could be a starting point... only time will tell though

15. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    :O Gah!

16. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    ... Ah I guess you never really played it. I fell in live with Halo 1.

17. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    Be purged, heretic.

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Seems on-rails to me, looking at that trailer. But on-rails are fine with me.

19. tofusoup

tofusoup Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    What did I start here :). Not to get off topic of Morning Star.
    For me Halo was always about the MP. I did play through 1, and a bit of 2, and all of 4 coop. Best moments in Halo 4 for me were in the mechs and vehicles. The Spec Ops were great.

I mean besides those things all you did was activate 3 of this, 5 of that...blah :) heh.