Universal Horn (by Phosphor Games Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 16, 2012.

1. TorpedoVegas

TorpedoVegas Member

Oct 21, 2010
    the only horn that works is for the second piece :(
    four
    five
    six

which brings me to the following situation I am in detailed below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    After playing through a couple chapters, I have some thoughts on the game. I'm not quite sure where I'll end up with these impressions, but I'll just start and see where I end up.

I do feel that finding fault in elements tangential to gameplay such as art style, monetization, etc... produces very little good, because the experience of those tangential aspects is insanely variable between different people and perspectives. Therefore, I have nothing to say about the IAPs or the textures/art assets of the game, except this one sentence describing how I experienced these elements: I am able to progress just fine without dipping into the IAPs, AND I find the game to look very beautiful, with plenty of atmospheric and aesthetic touches that greatly enhance my experience playing the game.

I will say this, though: the technical aspects of this game have a quirk or two to them, and one minor problem that doesn't impede my personal enjoyment by much, but does make me more cautious about the game's stability than I would be otherwise.

I will detail the first of these negative aspects by talking about the tap-to-move controls. The pathfinding a.i. is close to nonexistent beyond stopping when an obstacle prevents my character from reaching its destination. Your character's programming isn't quite smart enough to go around a corner, which is unrealistic and distracting. This means that I end up micro-managing my character's movement outside of combat, which reaches mild annoyance levels in tight corridors and entrances with odd tap boxes for entry/exit, such as the holes your character can crawl through to find assorted goodies/the occasional necessary item/mid-level forges.

And then there is the technical performance of the game. While I am surprised at how fluidly the game runs most of the time on my iPhone 4s, there are moments of slowdown that, thankfully, are uncommon. Thankfully, none of the platforming I have encountered is timed, so slowdown there isn't a serious issue, and slowdown in combat is never so terrible that I cannot fight and succeed. So while the performance of the game can be better, it isn't so bad that the game becomes unplayable. Considering the reality that it is criminally easy to update apps with bug fixes and performance improvements, this issue has the potential to completely vanish in time.

Those are my only criticisms of the game.

Yes. My ONLY criticisms.

Combat hits the sweet spot between being dynamic enough for exciting action moments, and strategic enough to allow skilled players to effectively trounce enemies within seconds. The characters are very interesting, with one of the few instances in video game storytelling where a villainous henchman is a constant companion to the hero (I am of course referring to Gourd). This allows for some solid dialogue play between the two characters that distinguishes both of them from each other, and this contrast is exquisitely enjoyable.

The music is subtle, yet prominent enough to contribute to a mood of ancient mystery and myth. It is equal parts epic, ruminative and wondrous in tone, which complements the Fable-style art direction, without the awkward British humor Fable is riddled with. Strangely enough, this game, well... um, well, bear with me here: I believe this game is a love-child of the modern Zelda franchise and Shadow of the Colossus.

*ducks fanboy outrage*

Let me explain myself: Not only are you a hero out to restore the land by a combination of platforming and combat (Zelda), but you do so by destroying giant mechanical behemoths through intricate swordplay and the occasional magical bomb (SotC). Plus, the boss behemoths are MASSIVE, and require multiple stages of combat.

Does this make the game unoriginal? Only in terms of the base gameplay, and even I admit that the connection between this game to the other games I mentioned is tenuous at best. But the comparisons can still be made, due to the similarities I pointed out.

Granted, that's not the only way the game feels similar to previous titles: there are forges where you can craft new weapons/upgrade existing weapons/make potions/etc.... It is similar to how Infinity Blade's inventory and gear work, since you can access the Forge menu wherever you go, but you get a discount when you use a forge location, which encourages players to save their resources until they are ready to use them.

Again, certain mechanics feel unoriginal when analyzed. And yet, the game uses these borrowed elements effectively, which increases enjoyment without making players wish they could play the games those elements came from. The overall package works nicely, with all the elements supporting each other rather than fighting against each other/sticking out like a sore thumb.

I highly recommend this game for people who want to use their devices to their full potential. I highly recommend this game for people wanting the experience of this genre of games (action platformer RPG) on their phones without skipping the majority of bells and whistles similar games on other platforms have. I highly recommend this game for gamers who want a fun, engaging story and beautiful artwork wrapped around some solid gameplay with familiar mechanics.

In short, this is the kind of game Gameloft would kill to be able to develop. Equal parts familiar, fun AND engaging. Sure, it may not be as original in terms of mechanics as some gamers may desire, and it could stand to use more polish, but what is here is very well-done, and Phosphor Games should be commended for their solid and beautiful game.

As for Zynga's involvement, I have no definitive "yea or nay" comment. I have not PERSONALLY felt their style here, and I have no reason TO worry about their role in this game's publication, unless something seriously bad comes about in the future as a result of their involvement. I will NOT BE PARANOID about this "issue", because it isn't an issue yet, and as of now THERE IS NO EVIDENCE TO SUGGEST IT WILL BE AN ISSUE WITH THIS PARTICULAR GAME. Therefore, I WILL NOT worry, and I WILL ENJOY THE GAME. And I recommend everyone else to take the same approach.

And that's my $6.99.

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

3. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    #583 Delusionaltool, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    wow! nicely done....

4. RunnyGnome

RunnyGnome Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    I wouldn't mind if Touch Arcade just copy and pasted this for the Horn review.

5. Nekcik

Nekcik Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Aiken, South Carolina
    I mean do we really need to quote the whole thing? Twice? Some people really need to learn to edit quotes to be forum friendly.

However good review Mr. Album

6. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Adamo, is the golden enemy a new character design or are they the original enemies but golden? I've replayed a few levels after completing the story and I haven't noticed anything different.

7. Akoae

Akoae Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2010
    #587 Akoae, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    @ TorpedoVegas, as much as I remember the horn you are next to on the screenshot , reveals a hidden hole, just left next to the horn, and in there, you will find the 3rd piece.

@Candykiller , they have like golden texture, think of it as u fight the Emperor at the end, look-a-like texture, I am sure you wont miss it. I followed Adamo's advice, and replayed 4 chapters, in 3 of them was lucky the golden monster to give a new blueprint. So , I will need some persistence to get the amulet's blueprints :). Big thanks for the tip, Adamo.

8. Dubstep

Dubstep Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Seriously I hate when people do that

9. RunnyGnome

Oct 13, 2011
    I could've and was going to, but I just decided not to, since no one ever complains on the internet.

Oh wait...

10. RunnyGnome

Oct 13, 2011

Thanks for spoiling the game. *Sigh*

11. SolangeL305

SolangeL305 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    someone kill me now. The spinning room is the worst, it really makes the horrible controls stand out,. I can't get past things that should be simple, because half the time Horn doesn't run when I tap for him to. I want to throw my phone through a window. actually by pure luck I ended up getting the seed, but like an idiot wanted to keep farming for money. I ended up in a room that is impossible to pass thanks to the crappy touch controls, and now I can't get the seed again.... fml!!!!

and iI have a 4s, not some old phone that this would be excusable!

12. TorpedoVegas

TorpedoVegas Member

Oct 21, 2010
    @Akoae that's just it, the horn does not work and there is no hole. I've ran through the level five or six times up to this point.

13. Akoae

Akoae Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2010
    @RunnyGnome I have to say, I didn't spoil anything, when you reach the end of the game, you will agree with me. The one I mentioned , is in the dialog since chapter I, it is natural to think he would be ultimate enemy to defeat.

Enjoy your game and the story.

14. cabdog

cabdog Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Help please?

I am hoping for a hint or help please. I am still in cuthbert, on the second mission on the armory, 'Fists' something, and I am in the large room where you jump from ledge to ledge, four of them, to pull the switches to light the hanging fire pits above you. I lit the fires, and I see a gate with an orb behind it in the room, but the gate isnt opening and I dont see any hints as to what I am supposed to do?

Any advice or hints much appreciated! This is the first time in the game that I have been stumped as usually there are good tips/hints in the form of flashing fire signs etc.

Thanks in advance!

15. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Here's the hint: windows in front of the fire pits.

16. mrpenbrook

mrpenbrook Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Hint #1: When looking at the four switches, what do you notice that is different about them?

Hint #2: I hope this hint LIGHTS THE WAY for you to figure out the puzzle!

Hint #3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uVpz0m-Y7A

17. RunnyGnome

Oct 13, 2011

I haven't gotten to chapter one because the game crashes after the opening.

18. TorpedoVegas

TorpedoVegas Member

Oct 21, 2010
    looks like the seventh time is a charm, thanks for the help everyone.

19. RunnyGnome

Oct 13, 2011
    No update today either. Pull it together apple!

20. TorpedoVegas

TorpedoVegas Member

Oct 21, 2010
    on my second runthrough through (four seeds to go in westernesse), i'm going to screenshot all the blueprints/detail their locations. perhaps I'll vid cap them too. anyone want to help? Again, thank's for all who helped me earlier today and yesterday.