How do I know which games will work with the "2X" thing on the iPad?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MasterChief3624, May 17, 2010.

1. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I was kind of excited to hear about that 2X thing for the iPad, where it will pixel-double your iPhone and iPod Touch games. But I also heard just recently that the 2X thing doesn't happen automatically. I guess the developer has to implement it into their app manually? Is that true?

And how would I know which games will work on the iPad in 2X mode?

2. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    hahah good try, but as the sizes are not exactly 2X, there is screen space left over.and with that space, comes the top bar (the thing on the homescreen on top) and on the bottom, a button. with this button you can 2X or 1X things. everything can do this. except ipad/universal apps.

3. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    ...I know the sizes are not exactly the same. I know where the 2X button is :p

Thank you for the response, though. So developers don't have to implement this manually? What about all these things I hear about some iPhone games not working on the iPad? Is there a pattern to what these games do that make them not work on the iPad?

4. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    No it's sorta random. Some even won't run at 1x.

5. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    oh, i didnt understand ya then :p haha but

that depends...some games just dont work...

6. alienmeatsack

alienmeatsack Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    IT Department
    Oklahoma
    I have run hundreds of iPhone games on my iPad and have yet to find a single app that doesn't work, 1x or 2x regardless.

Some of them, the controls are out of reach, but otherwise everything has run.

How will you know if they run? Run em. Simple as that. If something doesnt work, let the dev know. I assume that most devs will be very responsive to fixing issues with their games, utils, whatever, on an iPad if they can.

7. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    you don't know the appstore very well :) there are a bunch of games out there in limbo when it comes to updates

8. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    COD zombies worked a couple times on 2x mode than just stopped and wouldn't let me upscale it anymore. Odd

Bought the HD version and it's sad there really isn't much difference in graphics.