Synesthetic: Every song, a new experience [looking for playtesters]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Alex Dantis, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Alex Dantis

Alex Dantis Active Member

Mar 20, 2012
    #1 Alex Dantis, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
    Hello everybody,

I am proud to announce Synesthetic, the first IOS game that truly builds levels based on your music. Here is a the latest gameplay trailer of the game (Youtube is limited to 30 fps the game actually runs at 60 on all devices)

[hqyoutube]TvkXNrwqfDk[/hqyoutube]

In a nutshell:

-Any song is a new level
    -iPad 3 support
    -3 game modes
    -Separate leaderboards for each song
    -GameCenter achievements
    -Universal app that runs on any iDevice (3rd gen and up) with IOS 4.2 or higher
    -Multiple color themes

Experience your music like you never have before!

Playtesters are still welcomed so if you are interested here is the testflight recruitment page: http://bit.ly/FTxAKb (as long as you have a device that can play the game I am grateful for your help).

2. Qurao

Qurao Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Denmark
    Looks heavily inspired by Pron(? Not sure on the name), but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I hope there are multiple difficulty levels and that the level generation is pulled off well.

I've applied for a spot as a playtester.

3. Alex Dantis

Mar 20, 2012
    Thanks for helping out with the testing. Yes, it is inspired by Proun, Audiosurf and Boost (which by the way are awesome, if you haven't heard of them look them up) . There are 3 game modes, each representing a different difficulty level ( the trailers are both a demonstration of Wave- the hardest mode).

4. Klemen

Klemen Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Ouch... My eyes.

Is there an option to reduce the "blur" effect?

5. Alex Dantis

Mar 20, 2012
    #5 Alex Dantis, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
    Right now no, but thanks for the feedback i might will add an option in the final product.

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Looks neat, signed up! :)

7. melvazvd

melvazvd New Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Is there an option to reduce the "blur" effect?

8. Klemen

Klemen Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Souns good :)

9. Bparker

Bparker Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    A beta tester at home
    Atlantic, IA
    Just signed up

10. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Signed-up! Think I'm gonna dig this!

11. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Why is the lane mostly blue in the first video? Doesn't look bad but certainly looks like it needs a little more color variation.

Can you explain the gameplay a little? It sure looks like a mix between Audio Surf and Boost (2) but their doesn't seem to be any prevalent gameplay mechanics.

Anyway, applied. Love music games :D

Btw not trying to troll you or anything, but in my experience, music games (or rhythm games) have been pretty bad in crafting good experiences for the majority of my music library.
    So, how will this song work with this game? Will the game recognize the drum beats and other instruments accurately?

12. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    Signed up...

13. Alex Dantis

Mar 20, 2012
    @gunxsword

No trolling, I love talking about my game.

1) the rail's color depends on the intensity of your music ranging from yellow to green to blue to light blue, the song in the first trailer is considered intense with a couple very intense portions that's why it's mostly blue.

2)the game works best with songs that change intensity multiple times (alternative, electronica, hip-hop, pop etc). Unfortunately songs like the one you posted will be full downhill, and only in wave mode (the hardest) will it cover most of the notes in the song (making the level a considerable challenge), this is a problem with all heavier-metal songs but I hope you will find a couple that sync nicely.

3)since I want to learn how easy it is for people to "get" the game I don't want to talk too much about gameplay, suffice is to say that 2 game modes revolve around dodging obstacles, and one revolves around going through colored gates and earning higher scores.

I will send a build of the game tomorrow to everybody who signed-up.Thank you very much for your help and I hope more will join.

14. Bparker

Aug 5, 2011
    A beta tester at home
    Atlantic, IA
    #14 Bparker, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    Awesome I honestly cannot wait for this build to come out it looks like an amazing game I just want to do it wiht Bohemian Rhapsody.:D

Edit: Is there a time limit for songs like it cuts out after so much time?

15. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Can there be more color variation? The full color spectrum would be nice. Could the game analyze the song and 'adapt' the color for different intensities specific to the song instead of applying the same metrics to all songs?
    I'll be seeing a lot of blues when I'm playing :eek:.

Woot downhill! I wouldn't mind playing on the hardest difficulty as long as there's no way to fail the song.

Talk to the beta game alliance.

16. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    Looks pretty cool! Signed up for the beta!

One question though: Is it just our own music library, or are there also a few built-in songs as well?

17. Alex Dantis

Mar 20, 2012
    #17 Alex Dantis, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    @gunxsword

First of all thank you for the suggestions, I am trying to take all of them into account.

Those are the colors for the rail. The obstacles and the background will use the complimentary colors so depending on the song the game could go through the whole color spectrum (it's very hard to find short songs that can freely be used for commercial purposes that sync well). Practically most hard metal songs are going to go from orange to red but I bet there are a couple out there with slower portions that will offer a much more varied show of color.

If the game would adapt to each song then there wouldn't be much difference between a slow and mellow song and a fast and loud one.

@DodgerBlue016

Just one, for the tutorial.

@Bparker

Bohemian Rhapsody is pretty awesome.

Also the game is limited to songs shorter than 22 minutes (technical limit).

18. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    Installing build!

19. Bparker

Aug 5, 2011
    A beta tester at home
    Atlantic, IA
    Awesome already did Bohemian not its time to try Through the Fire and The Flames by Dragon Force

20. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    Sent my feedback regarding the game through email, hope the issues I had will get addressed. :)