Should there be a standard for games to ask for sound on startup

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by pcmaster, Dec 3, 2009.

1. pcmaster

pcmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    It's all in the title Should there be a standard for games to ask if you want sound on startup. Just like in flight control.

2. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    yep...i like the way edge...or edgy does it

3. pcmaster

Nov 18, 2009
    How do they do it? I don't have that game

4. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    The extra step at every launch bugs me... besides, on the iPhone you have a switch for that.

Solution:

* Ask on first launch, but only for Touch users, not iPhone users.

* Have an option right below the question for whether to ask every time or not.

* If you say not to ask, or if you have an iPhone (which defaults to that choice) you can still re-enable the question via a setting.

5. pcmaster

Nov 18, 2009
    That's what I was thinking of doing in my apps. But just wanted to know if everyone likes it. So everyone like the option to ask for sound on launch but it also can be hidden but re enabled in settings

6. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    I think iPhones with the silent switch on should not have any sound. I don't like it when a game plays music even if my silent switch is on.

7. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    also if you are currently playing music through music/ipod app then it should automatically choose no sound without asking you and keep your music playing

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Definitely the best option, I can't see any reason why someone wouldn't like it.

9. pcmaster

Nov 18, 2009
    But the thing about that is sometimes I don't want game sound but I do want calls texts and emails to ring.

Also yes almost all apps' sound turn off when silent switch is on. That is already standard.

10. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    this would be a very good idea. i found that i cant play some games in public because of the noise they make. The iPhone has tiny speakers, but those speakers get LOUD. Real Racing sounds like a jet engine taking off, that's how loud it gets.

11. stephen

stephen Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Definitely. I don't like having to turn off my iPhone's sound in General settings just to disable a game's sound, and doing this also has the unwanted effect of not getting sound notifications for calls or incoming messages. This should be a standard.

12. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
  13. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    That situation could be handled by a feature I think every game should have: a master volume control. Because I often want both phone AND game sounds but I want the game sounds down to a quiet level.

And in addition to on-screen volume control (for Touch users), ideally every app should respect the side buttons too, and not just adjust the ringer when you use them. I keep having to turn the volume down for certain loud games, and with some games, that also turns down the ringer to the point where I miss calls. Leave the ringer alone and let me quiet the game please!

14. pcmaster

Nov 18, 2009
    Ok so in my game i will have an optional screen that you can choose to not see that has a volume slider for sound fx and backround music. Then a few buttons below to mute all, turn all on full volume and you can tap on the label for the slider that says what it's for to completely mute that slider.