What is the best iOS developer SDK?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by FletcherApps, Sep 28, 2011.

1. FletcherApps

FletcherApps Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I have a decent background in basic and some javascript, but primarily I am an artist.

What is the best package to develop apps that has both drag and drop plus some decent coding? Someting similar to GameMaker? I read about Game Salad but a lot of people seem to complain that it is slow and limited, I looked at cocs2d but I don't know ObjC. Unity looks powerful, but can it do 2D games? Or iTorque?

Thanks guys!

2. Try Corona SDK, it is a good balance for non-programmers.

3. unlit

unlit Member

#3 unlit, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    You can do 2d games with Unity. For example Snuggle Truck or Tumbledrop are made with Unity. This games are still 3d in the editor, but the camera is orthographic and doesn't rotate, so the player doesn't notice.

4. racingspider

racingspider Well-Known Member

I'd second this. Unity uses scripts, which is a good way to ease into programming - and it is powerful.

Using an orthographic camera is a great way to do it. I'll have to give that a shot in my next game!

5. Johan_Ribert

Johan_Ribert Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Developer
    Rome, Italy
    +1 on Corona SDK. This 2d framwork is LUA based and LUA is really simple to learn.

6. IndieApp

IndieApp Member

Jul 11, 2011
    London
    +1 to Unity. It gives you quite a bit of overhead so you will probably experience a longer loading time than programming it in Obj-C in Xcode however if you don't have a great deal of programming experience then it's probably the way to go. Also you can use JS to write Unity applications so it sounds like it could be a good match for you :)

7. mr_wexer

mr_wexer Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2011
    The Marmalade SDK makes it very easy to port to other platforms once you've written your game for iPhone.

8. The good thing about Corona is that you can use it free right up until you are ready to publish to the App Store. This lets you test it out and see how you like it, even test on your device (need an Apple developer account though, $99/year).

I really want to play with Unity though. Can any Unity users tell me if I can make IOS games using Unity free? What are my limitations? I don't want to spend $400 before I can get a good feel for it.

9. unlit

unlit Member

There is a 30 day trial for UnityPro/iOSPro/AndroidPro included in Unity free.
    You can test on your device, of course, but are not allowed to publish to the AppStore. Only limitation during the time is a "Unity trial" watermark in IOS builds, I think.

You can always convert your iPhone projects back to Mac/PC/Web whatever, nothing of your project is lost. So ideally you could work with Unity free for Mac for some days to get the Unity basics down and after you feel comfortable, you activate the trial for Unity Pro/IOS Pro/Android Pro, switch the target platform of your project and test on your device to enjoy the trial to its fullest extent. :)

10. I've done all my games in iTorque. It's not for rookies. You've got a combo of script, C++, and objective-c to work with. On the flip side, it has a great editor and a friendly, helpful community. :)

11. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    And to top it off, if you do decide to use Unity and publish an iPhone game it's only $400 for the basic version.

But I think the bigest winner with Unity is it's portability between devices and operating systems. For example you could do a iPhone game, then do a web/facebook version of that same game with very little changes having to be made.

So +1 Unity for me!

12. Thanks for the info unlit and luke. I always wanted to try Unity.

As for the OP, I still suggest you look into Corona SDK for 2d games, if not just to try it.

13. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Suggestions

I'm a beginner also and have been using Corona SDK. I would suggest you try this also because it uses Lua, which is a friendly scripting language - I would say easier than JavaScript! Also, it's free to try - you only pay if you actually want to publish your game/app. Note though its not drag and drop and you simply use a text editor of your choice to code.

I did also try GameSalad, which you mentioned. Similar to this is Stencyl http://www.stencyl.com/ which includes both drag and drop and coding. However I didn't really get into the depths of this - my initial impression of this was favourable. I just personally found Corona to be easier and quick.

I would also like to try Unity at some point, but right now my focus is casual 2d games for which I feel Corona is suitable for.

Good luck!

14. Phil128

Phil128 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Germany
    since you are a designer, you might have some knowledge in Adobe Products?

I'm using Adobe Flash together with Air, to create my apps. Which works pretty good for the things I'm doing.

15. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

I used Gamemaker in the past as well. I made the jump to Unity easily. I'm not sure it's the easiest to use for 2D games though, as you are still working in 3D.